Thread: networkmanager and mobile broadband - it seems that the only way to disconnect be close the lid

Default networkmanager and mobile broadband - it seems that the only way to disconnect be close the lid

on my opensuse 12.2 and tumbleweed with kde 4.8 and 4.9 if I insert my broadband mobile usb stick it is correctly reconized, I click on networkmanager icon, then on the connection and |I can connect properly to internet. but if I want to disconnect:
    -1)if I click on networkmanager then on the red cross on the mobile broadband interfaces part (left) of the window, then I cannot reconnect anymore without restart the laptop, if I click again to the connection, the interface start to connect, start to set ip address and the result is no connect
    -2)if I remove the usb key, and reinsert after about 1 minute until system recognize the absence of usbstick, it is the same
    -3)if I close the lid, remove the usb key, then open the lid, then reinsert the usb stick it works again perfectly

I didn't try to restart networkmanager becouse I didn't find it in the kickoff, I can try, but how to restart networkmanager??
    have you the same behaviour??
    it is a bug???

thnx, :-) ciao and happy new year!!!! :-) pier

Default Re: networkmanager and mobile broadband - it seems that the onlyway to disconnect be close the lid

On 2013-01-01 15:36, pier andreit wrote:
    >
    > on my opensuse 12.2 and tumbleweed

Tumbleweed has its own forum and its own problems. You should ask a
    moderator to move your post.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: networkmanager and mobile broadband - it seems that the only way to disconnect be close the lid

i can start and stop network service like this on my system
    I use ifup
    Code:
    $:~> sudo /etc/init.d/network stop
    root's password:
    redirecting to systemctl
    $:~> sudo /etc/init.d/network start
    redirecting to systemctl
    $@linux-u7wa:~>
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Default Re: networkmanager and mobile broadband-it seems that the onlyway to disconnect be to close the lid

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-01-01 15:36, pier andreit wrote:
    >
    > on my opensuse 12.2 and tumbleweed

Tumbleweed has its own forum and its own problems. You should ask a
    moderator to move your post.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))
    it also happens in 12.2 :-)

Blog Entries

Default Re: networkmanager and mobile broadband - it seems that the only way to disconnect be close the lid

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    on my opensuse 12.2 and tumbleweed with kde 4.8 and 4.9 if I insert my broadband mobile usb stick it is correctly reconized, I click on networkmanager icon, then on the connection and |I can connect properly to internet. but if I want to disconnect:
    -1)if I click on networkmanager then on the red cross on the mobile broadband interfaces part (left) of the window, then I cannot reconnect anymore without restart the laptop, if I click again to the connection, the interface start to connect, start to set ip address and the result is no connect
    -2)if I remove the usb key, and reinsert after about 1 minute until system recognize the absence of usbstick, it is the same
    -3)if I close the lid, remove the usb key, then open the lid, then reinsert the usb stick it works again perfectly

I didn't try to restart networkmanager becouse I didn't find it in the kickoff, I can try, but how to restart networkmanager??
    have you the same behaviour??
    it is a bug???
    That is common behaviour with usb 3G dongles.

You can restart the network manager with
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/rcnetwork restart
    but IIRC it wasn't always sufficient on its own because the 3G dongle is in the wrong state to reconnect - YMMV.

FWIW, it is actually possible to reset a given usb device (by bus and device number), but it's probably just as easy to remove and re-connect it.

How do you reset a USB device from the command line? - Ask Ubuntu

It involves compiling the small C program (courtesy of Alan Stern).