Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused with grub2-efi / opensuse / win 8

Default Re: Confused with grub2-efi / opensuse / win 8

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So, just another thing that I do not understand when you say "boot ELILO".
    That's probably the reason for problem you have. To let openSUSE installer automatically do the right thing on EFI system you need to boot installation DVD in EFI mode (i.e. via EFI firmware and not via BIOS emulation). Installation DVD contains two different bootloaders - syslinux for BIOS and elilo for EFI. BIOS and EFI use different methods to launch bootloaders off DVD. So unless you see "Booting ELILO ..." as the very first step booting from openSUSE DVD, you are not booting in EFI mode and of course, nothing will work automagically.

Is your question "how to setup bootable EFI environment during installation in BIOS mode"? If yes - that's not really possible in 12.2 for the simple reason - YaST2 calls grub2-install in autodetection mode so it will always install BIOS target or fail. Current factory explicitly call "grub2-install --target i386-pc" or "--target x86_64-efi", depdening on which bootloader you selected, so it may be possible.

Several times you wrote "it fails" but did not explain what failed. Could you describe step-by-step what you did and at which point "it fails"?

Hmm ... also one problem with multi-boot UEFI setup is that openSUSE currently does not let you chose EFI boot menu name. So every openSUSE that install will take over single EFI boot menu entry. This probably is worth bug report simply to not forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again
    GPT is required for UEFI
    Strictly speaking it is not according to UEFI specs. But it makes life easier in this case. Also with today's hard disk sizes MBR soon be thing for the past.

You can also use several ESPs
    That's rather gray area. UEFI specs do not say whether multiple ESPs on the same hard disks are allowed. Windows is very confused in this case (basically, it cannot decide where to write its bootloader configuration) resulting in unbootable system under some conditions - and what's worse, it can not be repaired using Windows means at all. Multiple HDDs with ESP should be OK. This does let you create fully self contained openSUSE setup on separate disk.

In response to post #10 I had a go following the fix shown at:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=775610#c7

I just copied and pasted the code:

menuentry 'Microsoft Windows x86_64 UEFI-GPT' { insmod part_gpt insmod fat insmod search_fs_uuid insmod chain search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 886B-A760 chainloader (${root})/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi }

ino the /boot/grub2-efi/grub.cfg file. This gave me a windows entry into my opensuse boot but it does not load windows (when selected). I am guessing that the pointers are wrong. Perhaps as my windows is version 8 and the fix is based on windows 7.

In summary I bought a new desktop. This came with windows 8 installed. I simply shrank the partition, leaving enough space to install opensuse (12.3 M2 64 bit version). I used the default suggested opensuse partitioning and it installed fine. So I now have both windows 8 and opensuse installed. My problem is that unlike grub (with a bios based system) opensuse does not automatically add a boot entry for a windows system to the boot loader for efi based systems. My p/c uses efi and does not have a legacy bios option.

So to switch o/s I need to start the p/c, tap the delete button, go into the efi settings and change the o/s under the 'uefi hard disc bbs properties' and then re-start the p/c. This is obviously a bit of a faff and am looking for a way to add a windows boot entry to the opensuse efi booting screen.

Blog Entries

On Wed 02 Jan 2013 09:26:02 PM CST, dth2 wrote:

In response to post #10 I had a go following the fix shown at:

-*menuentry 'Microsoft Windows x86_64 UEFI-GPT' { insmod
    part_gpt insmod fat insmod search_fs_uuid insmod
    chain search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 886B-A760
    chainloader (${root})/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi }*-

ino the /boot/grub2-efi/grub.cfg file. This gave me a windows entry
    into my opensuse boot but it does not load windows (when selected). I
    am guessing that the pointers are wrong. Perhaps as my windows is
    version 8 and the fix is based on windows 7.

In summary I bought a new desktop. This came with windows 8 installed.
    I simply shrank the partition, leaving enough space to install opensuse
    (12.3 M2 64 bit version). I used the default suggested opensuse
    partitioning and it installed fine. So I now have both windows 8 and
    opensuse installed. My problem is that unlike grub (with a bios based
    system) opensuse does not automatically add a boot entry for a windows
    system to the boot loader for efi based systems. My p/c uses efi and
    does not have a legacy bios option.

So to switch o/s I need to start the p/c, tap the delete button, go
    into the efi settings and change the o/s under the 'uefi hard disc bbs
    properties' and then re-start the p/c. This is obviously a bit of a
    faff and am looking for a way to add a windows boot entry to the
    opensuse efi booting screen.

Hi
    Use efibootmgr to change the boot settings so it defaults to openSUSE?
    Then you can use efibootmgr to set 'next boot' and boot into windows
    if/when required?

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
    up 4:17, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.09, 0.12
    CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    My p/c uses efi and does not have a legacy bios option.
    This is interesting. What motherboard is installed in your PC, do you know that ?

So I now have both windows 8 and opensuse installed. My problem is that unlike grub (with a bios based system) opensuse does not automatically add a boot entry for a windows system to the boot loader for efi based systems.
    As long as I hadn't returned to legacy booting (which I finally did),
    on my system I could choose the operating system to be bootet through BIOS setup at startup
    (or a special key at startup, I think it was F8 for my ASUS motherboard).

This was similar to selecting an external drive for booting using this UEFI BIOS.

(edit: added UEFI)

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Confused with grub2-efi / opensuse / win 8

Well I have managed to create an EFI bootable Hard Disk with a GPT setup hard disk called on my Storage Listing /dev/sdf, a 2 TB Hard Disk, not fully partitioned Yet.

So the steps I did not realize before this was:

1. I Must Select UEFI boot mode for my openSUSE install DVD in my EFI PC setup to select the openSUSE DVD (or CD?) to enable a new install disk boot mode called ELILO which is why the openSUSE install disk is called a Hybrid disk.
    2. Once the DVD is put at the top of the boot list, it will continue to boot the ELILO DVD mode over and over.
    3. You can't get out of trying to install from the openSUSE install disk until you go back into the EFI PC setup and select the new UEFI GPT hard disk to boot from.
    4. In my EFI PC setup I found that the GPT disk then had two boot selections. One was called opensuse and the other was UEFI GPT disk model name. But only the one called opensuse booted into openSUSE.
    5. I have no idea why I needed to create the two small 128 M files at the start of the disk.
    6. I just edited the openSUSE install disk suggested Partition setup to make a larger root / and a smaller /home.
    7. My new boot menu does contain Windows and my main openSUSE install as they are located on separate hard disks and not on the GPT disk.

But it does work and I would love to hear any further comments you or anyone can make of this process.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

1. I Must Select UEFI boot mode for my openSUSE install DVD in my EFI PC setup to select the openSUSE DVD (or CD?) to enable a new install disk boot mode called ELILO which is why the openSUSE install disk is called a Hybrid disk.
    See, that was the problem. I don't know if it's called "Hybrid". I just called it like that.

2. Once the DVD is put at the top of the boot list, it will continue to boot the ELILO DVD mode over and over.
    Great! Notice that it might not be the case on all mainboards. The one I used for the articles would always boot in compatibility mode. Thus, I had to call the BIOS setup each time and put the UEFI DVD device on the top. It took me a while to realize that.

5. I have no idea why I needed to create the two small 128 M files at the start of the disk.
    I don't know either what Malcolm meant with these two partitions. What is the second one supposed to be? I only needed one ESP (per disk actually. I do have one on the Linux disk and one on the Windows disk).

Blog Entries

On Thu 03 Jan 2013 05:16:01 AM CST, please try again wrote:

jdmcdaniel3;2515135 Wrote:
    >
    > 5. I have no idea why I needed to create the two small 128 M files at
    > the start of the disk.
    >

I don't know either what Malcolm meant with these two partitions. What
    is the second one supposed to be? I only needed one ESP (per disk
    actually. I do have one on the Linux disk and one on the Windows disk).
    Hi
    In my case I'm dual booting so the second MSR one is added by the
    windows install, so I manually added it... if you not dual booting it's
    not needed.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
    up 2:01, 3 users, load average: 0.13, 0.05, 0.08
    CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    What is the second one supposed to be?
    Windows installation on EFI systems creates two additional partitions - ESP and MSR. MSR stands for Microsoft Reserved Partition and function is similar to GRUB2 bios_boot partition - it reserves space for things that could have been located in some inter-partition gaps on MBR disk. I do not know whether Windows actually puts any data in this partition as of now or is it reserved for future use.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3
    In my EFI PC setup I found that the GPT disk then had two boot selections. One was called opensuse and the other was UEFI GPT disk model name. But only the one called opensuse booted into openSUSE.
    If you do not specify exact file name in EFI menu entry default is \EFI\boot\bootx64.efi (I assume you have 64 bit system). Those EFI firmware implementations I have seen always automatically created menu entry for at least the first disk; this menu entry does not include any file name. That is the reason why it did not boot (into openSUSE).

This is also the only way to boot removable drive - you must create \EFI\Boot directory and put bootloader as file with name bootx64.efi in it. Although do not ask me for exact definition of "removable"

menuentry 'Microsoft Windows x86_64 UEFI-GPT' { insmod part_gpt insmod fat insmod search_fs_uuid insmod chain search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 886B-A760 chainloader (${root})/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi }

ino the /boot/grub2-efi/grub.cfg file. This gave me a windows entry into my opensuse boot but it does not load windows (when selected).
    Please, add any text pasted from PC in tags "code" (press # mark in advanced editing mode).

You did not read this comment closely. The 886B-A760 part defines unique file system identifier and you need to find it out for your system, not copy and paste from other's system. To quote the comment on bugzilla:
    Code:
    I got the value '886B-A760' by using the following commands:  
    # mkdir /mnt/efi 
    # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/efi 
    # grub2-probe --target=fs_uuid /mnt/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    In my case I'm dual booting so the second MSR one is added by the
    windows install, so I manually added it... if you not dual booting it's
    not needed.
    All right. Yes I know that Windows UEFI setup creates a MSR partition. I just didn't understand why you needed to add it manually. (?)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast