Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Confused with grub2-efi / opensuse / win 8

Default Re: Confused with grub2-efi / opensuse / win 8

this is my boot info, arvidjaar:

http://paste2.org/hwsZ2xs9

I know some entries are invalid as I played with grub customizer but I'll make order when I can fix it.

update: it seems efi grub can find and boot the legacy entries... wayne from linux mint did an experiment using v1.99 and had them starting...I'll come back in a few hrs with the result.

Never said you can't do mix modes but it makes life so much easier to not mix them. Also different UEFI implementations may act different. Booting all OS's in the same mode should always work. mixing modes is a crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by intzepatorii View Post
    this is my boot info, arvidjaar
    And? What should we check there?

I'm sorry I don't understand how can I describe my problem.
    That was my system, my problem is I can't add BIOS entries to the UEFI Grub2.

Update: I have installed openSUSE 13.1 in UEFI mode and Grub2 still can't detect the legacy entries...I don't know how Wayne is able to do it.

my problem is I can't add BIOS entries to the UEFI Grub2.
    That's correct. It is impossible to launch legacy BIOS binary when you are already in UEFI environment. At least without providing BIOS emulation layer.

I don't know how Wayne is able to do it.
    I do not know who is Wayne. Could you please give link to description?

sure: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...01170#p1001170

please scroll down a little bit in order to find his experiment.

grub2 from the BIOS installed openSUSE can detect and boot the UEFI LinuxMint though and probably now the UEFI SUSE...

Different BIOS have different capabilities. Some provide what they call a hybrid mode. But even them some may not fully support the needed requirements. In essence it is a hardware problem your hardware does not support it. There is a wide verity of capabilities and even a lot not adhering to standard in the UEFI shipping these days. Even some that have a hybrid mode won't work. If you want to chain between OS's then they must all be installed the same way either all MBR or all EFI boot otherwise you have to select the OS via the EFI boot menu

update: I added uefi clover too to grub2 chainloading /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI in 40_custom... which can boot all mac entries from all disks.
    only the bios windows entries remain to add. grub2 says it can't find the disks.

I saw ppl chainloading to another grub2 (the legacy one in my case), do you know the appropriate command? I'll change the drive...

UEFI LinuxMint
    There is no such thing as "UEFI LinuxMint". Linux kernel is exactly the same both on UEFI and BIOS system and is started in the same way, which is not using BIOS or UEFI specific functions.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast