Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having hard time finding & Installing Apps that was fair easy on Ubuntu...

Default Having hard time finding & Installing Apps that was fair easy on Ubuntu...

Hello.
    First let me start with compliments:
    I love this linux versio, it looks better then any other version I've installed and i hate thinking on removing it for replacment with ubuntu.

now for the reason I've posted this trade:

Since installing openSuse, i have truble to find and install Apps which I've installed with ease in other linux disturb.

One as such is Kicad!

I cannot find this program on on "installing & removing software" or in any other place.

Can some one helping with with how to get it and how to compile it to my system?

thanks for advance.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Having hard time finding & Installing Apps that was fair easy on Ubuntu...

Quote Originally Posted by Aido4ever View Post
    Hello.
    First let me start with compliments:
    I love this linux versio, it looks better then any other version I've installed and i hate thinking on removing it for replacment with ubuntu.

now for the reason I've posted this trade:

Since installing openSuse, i have truble to find and install Apps which I've installed with ease in other linux disturb.

One as such is Kicad!

I cannot find this program on on "installing & removing software" or in any other place.

Can some one helping with with how to get it and how to compile it to my system?

thanks for advance.
    Welcome to the openSUSE forums Aido4ever. I was able to find a listing here: software.opensuse.org:

Just open for the version of openSUSE you installed, accept the warning to show unstable packages and then pick 32 or 64 bit. It is hard to know if it is a good working version, but it can't hurt to give it a try. Anytime you go to the main openSUSE download page, there is a package search feature at the top of the page you can see here: software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.2

You can also post a request for the package be placed in the main repository and if there is a proper maintainer such that we have good source files, it will make its way to the main repository, but there is often a story as to why its not already there we don't know.

Thank You,
    Last edited by jdmcdaniel3; 31-Dec-2012 at 07:27.
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

Default Re: Having hard time finding & Installing Apps that was fair easy on Ubuntu...

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Welcome to the openSUSE forums Aido4ever. I was able to find a listing here: software.opensuse.org:

Just open for the version of openSUSE you installed, accept the warning to show unstable packages and then pick 32 or 64 bit. It is hard to know if it is a good working version, but it can't hurt to give it a try. Anytime you go to the main openSUSE download page, there is a package search feature at the top of the page you can see here: software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.2
    Further to James EXCELLENT guidance, I have provided some images below , which I believe help illustrate part of what he was pointing out.

One starts with this sort of search page, ... type in 'kicad' and select the 'configuration' wrench in the page:

and then after selecting the configuration wrench in the above image, one will get something like this, where as James noted, select " Show development language and debug packages " and also select kicad app which should look something like this::

That will give this,

after which select openSUSE-12.2 (your openSUSE version) which should yield something like this:

From that menu the options are menu, from the 1 click install (which I do not particularly care for myself) to selecting the other links to find the specific repository, which can be added if you wish, for more control over the install (albeit more time consuming)

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Having hard time finding & Installing Apps that was fair easy on Ubuntu...

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Further to James EXCELLENT guidance, I have provided some images below , which I believe help illustrate part of what he was pointing out.

One starts with this sort of search page, ... type in 'kicad' and select the 'configuration' wrench in the page:

and then after selecting the configuration wrench in the above image, one will get something like this, where as James noted, select " Show development language and debug packages " and also select kicad app which should look something like this::

That will give this,

after which select openSUSE-12.2 (your openSUSE version) which should yield something like this:

From that menu the options are menu, from the 1 click install (which I do not particularly care for myself) to selecting the other links to find the specific repository, which can be added if you wish, for more control over the install (albeit more time consuming)
    You know oldcpu, your pictures might make a great Article entry on the subject. I know I would send everyone I know to see it.

Thank You for using openSUSE,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

Default Re: Having hard time finding & Installing Apps that was fair easy on Ubuntu...

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    You know oldcpu, your pictures might make a great Article entry on the subject. I know I would send everyone I know to see it.
    Please feel free to create such an article with those images, or any other. When I get back to Germany in just under 3 weeks, I may be able to do such also, but not until then I'm afraid.

Currently my times on the Internet are brief and intermittent. I 'just' had enough time to create those images, before my wife and I drove out to the beach for a day.

In under 2 days we fly to Bangkok for a night, and then we are off to Myanmar for over a week, and we do not anticipate we will have any Internet coverage in Myanmar.

Thank you James for your contribution / guidance (so I could figure out what pages to take snapshots of) and have a Happy New Year to all !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Please feel free to create such an article with those images, or any other. When I get back to Germany in just under 3 weeks, I may be able to do such also, but not until then I'm afraid.

Currently my times on the Internet are brief and intermittent. I 'just' had enough time to create those images, before my wife and I drove out to the beach for a day.

In under 2 days we fly to Bangkok for a night, and then we are off to Myanmar for over a week, and we do not anticipate we will have any Internet coverage in Myanmar.

Thank you James for your contribution / guidance (so I could figure out what pages to take snapshots of) and have a Happy New Year to all !
    You already inspired me
    Did one earlier, but used my images
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Great minds think alike!

Carl's article:

https://forums.opensuse.org/content/...-software.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    You already inspired me
    Did one earlier, but used my images
    That's Great !

I confess, one thing that stumped me for the longest time in the openSUSE search page was the need to select " Show development language and debug packages " . Without that one is missing many of the 3rd party packaged apps. I hate to admit how many times the search page frustrated me, as I did not initially (for many searches) think to select the 'wrench' to configure the search.

By chance were you planning to make any reference to making that selection and what that selection provides ?

Blog Entries

I never really found that move necessary Lee.

In the old search, the check box was to search including users home: packages, and that was something I would recommend. But to search development is somewhat different.

I tried it with dropbox but didn't really see anything that might benefit a standard user.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Having hard time finding & Installing Apps that was fair easyon Ubuntu...

On 2013-01-01 12:56, oldcpu wrote:
    > I hate to admit how many times the search page
    > frustrated me, as I did not initially (for many searches) think to
    > select the 'wrench' to configure the search.

What I do not like is that it is difficult to get a direct link to the
    repo to be added in yast or zypper (if I want).

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast