Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: KDE 4.9 doesn't work after Conky uninstall

  1. #1

    Default KDE 4.9 doesn't work after Conky uninstall

    Hi there!

    I'm just starting with OpenSuse 12.2 (but I had used ArchLinux and Ubunut), and I got a trouble when a I tried to uninstall Conky. I unistalled it through Yast2, searching the Conky package and ticking the unistall option (a red cross). Then, when I restarted the computer, it looked like as if it would be busy with some process (something like VIm process), because I can not have open Dolphin, Yast2... any application. This process seems to be related with Cairo dock since it starting blocks KDE completely. Would have I delete accidentally some fundamental package?


    Thanks for your replies

  2. #2

    Default Re: KDE 4.9 doesn't work after Conky uninstall

    Quote Originally Posted by pablo375 View Post
    Hi there!

    I'm just starting with OpenSuse 12.2 (but I had used ArchLinux and Ubunut), and I got a trouble when a I tried to uninstall Conky. I unistalled it through Yast2, searching the Conky package and ticking the unistall option (a red cross). Then, when I restarted the computer, it looked like as if it would be busy with some process (something like VIm process), because I can not have open Dolphin, Yast2... any application. This process seems to be related with Cairo dock since it starting blocks KDE completely. Would have I delete accidentally some fundamental package?


    Thanks for your replies

    How about reinstalling conky from the command line and see what it says?

    Code:
    $ su -l
    # zypper in conky

    Maybe even posting the output of this zypper command.

  3. #3

    Default Re: KDE 4.9 doesn't work after Conky uninstall

    Thanks for your reply!


    I reinstalled conky in the way you suggested to me, and it appears again on the desk. Although it haven't seemed to repair the problem, because the process called "VI Improved" executes after system starts and KDE crashes completely (I can't access anything through the interface or at least not in a different way to the terminal). However, before this process starts (a few seconds) the KDE behavior is normal.


    Can you give me another suggestion?
    I add one script at the init to execute conky automatically too, so should I delete it?


    Regards!

  4. #4

    Default Re: KDE 4.9 doesn't work after Conky uninstall

    Quote Originally Posted by pablo375 View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

    I reinstalled conky in the way you suggested to me, and it appears again on the desk. Although it haven't seemed to repair the problem, because the process called "VI Improved" executes after system starts and KDE crashes completely (I can't access anything through the interface or at least not in a different way to the terminal). However, before this process starts (a few seconds) the KDE behavior is normal.

    "VI improved" is a powerful text editor. You have to find out why it starts automatically when you start KDE. It could have something to do with conky if you use some exec or execi variables which execute such a process in your conky configuration... but it could be unrelated too.


    Quote Originally Posted by pablo375 View Post
    Can you give me another suggestion?
    If you're interested in conky and kde, you can read the latest posts in this thread: Easy configuring conky with conkyconf and see if conkyconf does what you want. The package puts a desktop file in /etc/xdg/autostart to start conky automatically. However it doesn't execute conky but a wrapper script (/usr/bin/conky.sh), mainly intended to solve transparency issues under KDE and achieve conky transparency under differents desktops or wms, with or without compositing manager (or KDE desktop effects). I'm not 100% conky in the official repo has all features that conkyconf is able to use, but you can also install conky from my repo.


    Quote Originally Posted by pablo375 View Post
    I add one script at the init to execute conky automatically too, so should I delete it?
    Obviously, you should start by not executing your script (rename it), start KDE, run conky from the command line and watch the processes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,254
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: KDE 4.9 doesn't work after Conky uninstall

    You might try force re-installing all KDE packages to fix any damage which might have been caused by removing an application like Conky.

    HTH,
    TSU

  6. #6

    Default Re: KDE 4.9 doesn't work after Conky uninstall

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post

    The package puts a desktop file in /etc/xdg/autostart to start conky automatically. However it doesn't execute conky but a wrapper script (/usr/bin/conky.sh), mainly intended to solve transparency issues under KDE and achieve conky transparency under differents desktops or wms, with or without compositing manager (or KDE desktop effects). I'm not 100% conky in the official repo has all features that conkyconf is able to use, but you can also install conky from my repo.
    By the way of the conky transparency I remembered to have introduced some lines in the terminal trying to configure this characteristic (sorry, I didn't remember such detail until you mentioned it). Thus, it will be some relation between the script and VI, this latest that tries to load and executes the first?. Hmm... moreover I copy a conky configuration file from somewhere without replacing the original. My question is, the conky configuration files are located inside my /home folder by default? In this case I must delete some of one, right?

  7. #7

    Default Re: KDE 4.9 doesn't work after Conky uninstall

    Quote Originally Posted by pablo375 View Post
    By the way of the conky transparency I remembered to have introduced some lines in the terminal trying to configure this characteristic (sorry, I didn't remember such detail until you mentioned it). Thus, it will be some relation between the script and VI, this latest that tries to load and executes the first?
    Maybe that's the problem, but I don't understand why you're trying to use vi to modify conky's configuration file. This is wrong. If you need to modify the configuration "on the fly", meaning before starting the desktop, you should use something like a sed command in your script. And the vast majority of people won't do that, because they're using only one desktop. It only makes sense if you switch between desktops (such as KDE, Gnome, Xfce) where conky's transparency requires different global settings - and you want to use the same conky configuration file for all deskops - which - I have to admit - is not the most clever thing to do (but I'm not always clever either). That's what I have been trying to achieve with conkyconf and conky.sh, among other things.

    conky lacks the feature of changing global settings according to the value of a variable. Therefore you can not apply another transparency configuration if a specific process is running (meaning if KDE or Gnome or another desktop is detected).

    Quote Originally Posted by pablo375 View Post
    My question is, the conky configuration files are located inside my /home folder by default? In this case I must delete some of one, right?
    It will be ~/.conkyrc on a per user basis and /etc/conky/conky.conf system wide. How about trying to run conkyconf (with the options you like : see conkyconf -h) as user. It will write a ~/.conkyrc, that you can of course edit manually. I don't think I did try conky with KDE 4.9 under openSUSE, but I assume it will work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •