Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the cryptsetup command to encrypt a drive with password (no LUKS)?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What's the cryptsetup command to encrypt a drive with password? [SOLVED]

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    If I want to change the password later on, is there a cryptsetup command for that too?
    Again, "man cryptsetup" gives the answers.

cryptsetup luksAddKey -- to add an additional key
    cryptsetup luksRemoveKey -- to remove an existing key (but you must have another key available)
    cryptsetup luksChangeKey -- to change an existing key

Check the man page for arguments and options.

You can have several distinct keys for the same container (up to 8).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: What's the cryptsetup command to encrypt a drive with password? [SOLVED]

Thank you, I believe that covers everything I needed to know. And the reason I don't check man pages generally is that most are so large it's hard to pin-point a specific little feature
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    And the reason I don't check man pages generally is that most are so large it's hard to pin-point a specific little feature
    Use at the command line, rather than the GUI (in a terminal window). That way, you are browsing the man page with "less". You can type "/string" (without the quotes) to search for "string". Once you are familiar with less, it is easy to scroll forward/backward. The man page are a great resource, once you get the hang of using them.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12