Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to manage start-up applications? and questions about services?

Default where to manage start-up applications? and questions about services?

Hi guys,

I've some questions.
    1) Where can I manage start-up applications?
    2) In Yast -> Services, Expert Mode, there're some options like 0,1,2,3,etc for services. Can you explain that options for me? And how can I stop some automatic start-up services, or change it to manually mode?
    3) Can I just stop and disable OpenSUSE firewall service? Cus' I think I do not really need it.

Thanks for your helps!
    n00bvn

Default Re: where to manage start-up applications? and questions about services?

You do not tell what version of openSUSE you are using. THus the answers below may be different for you then for me.

1) What do you mean with "start-up applications"?

2) The first level in YaST has no "Services" in my system, it has Software, Hardware, System, Network Devices, Network Services, Security and Users, Virtualization, Support, Miscellaneous. Thus I can not click on Services as you did and thus see no Expert Mode in a second level.

3) You can (of course). I haven't it running. I trust the firewall function in my router and try to manage the services run on my system with care (read, only start what is realy needed).
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: where to manage start-up applications? and questions about services?

You do not tell what version of openSUSE you are using

sorry, I'm using OpenSUSE 12.2 KDE

1) What do you mean with "start-up applications"?
    I meant applications that automatically start when booting

2) The first level in YaST has no "Services" in my system

I meant System Services in Yast. In Expert Mode, you'll see options like 0,1,2,etc

1) Those are the system services.

2) That is YaST > System > System Services (Runlevel) I guess. Am I right? (shouldn't be to difficult to type this down and avoid any misunderstandings, shouldn't it? ).
    And there is an Expert Mode there. What you call options are no options. They are the runlevels at which those system services should run. When you use the GUI (KDE in your case) your system runs by default in runlevel 5. Thus all services that have the 5 there are started then. When you have a text-only system (often the case with systems that provide services on the network without needing GUI access) it will run in runlevel 3. And there are more runlevels defined.
    I would advise you not to change anything there. Stay in Simple Mode and switch on/off according to need.
    Last edited by hcvv; 24-Dec-2012 at 10:27.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by n00bvn View Post
    Hi guys,

I've some questions.
    1) Where can I manage start-up applications?
    2) In Yast -> Services, Expert Mode, there're some options like 0,1,2,3,etc for services. Can you explain that options for me? And how can I stop some automatic start-up services, or change it to manually mode?
    3) Can I just stop and disable OpenSUSE firewall service? Cus' I think I do not really need it.

Thanks for your helps!
    n00bvn
    I think you are talking about "System" --> "System Services (runlevel): Services"

Yes, there is an expert mode.

The best advice is that if you need somebody to explain expert mode, then you are not an expert and you should not be using expert mode.

I do consider myself somewhat of an expert, and I have never needed to use expert mode there. Moreover, it is a left-over from the sysv-init way of doing things. The runlevel idea is being phased out as we transition to systemd.

For the firewall - try: "Security and Users" --> "Firewall"

As somewhat of an expert, I advise leaving the firewall on (as I do). It is wiser to just open specific services that you need. When you configure services in other sections of Yast, they will often open the specific service in the firewall, though not always (some services are useful even if only used with localhost).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Disabling the firewall is never a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    1) Those are the system services.
    I think he means programs that start when you log-in, not when you boot.

Using 12.2 GNOME, I type gnome-session-properties into the terminal, and then I can set any arbitrary program to launch when I log in. Is there a KDE equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by Golbats_Everywhere View Post
    I doubt, but that is why I asked for an explanation.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by Golbats_Everywhere View Post
    Disabling the firewall is never a good idea.

Using 12.2 GNOME, I type gnome-session-properties into the terminal, and then I can set any arbitrary program to launch when I log in. Is there a KDE equivalent?
    Yes right. I meant that. The programs that auto start when you log-in.

Anyway, for the answers of services question, thanks you guys replies!

In that case there is no relation between you different points. Which again shows that one should only ask one question in a thread, every one with a good telling title and it the correct (sub)forum.

Here point 1 should have gone in Applications (where it was) and the title should have been something like: What is the KDE equivalent for GNOME .....".

Point 2 and 3 are clearly different subjects deserving a thread of their own in the Install/Boot/Login forum.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Then you were surely in the wrong place if you were trying to do that with Yast.

With KDE, I first go to:

"Configure Desktop" --> "Startup and Shutdown" --> "Session Management".

There, I select the option "Restore manually saved session". I then close that window.

Now I startup exactly the programs that I normally want running, and I place the windows for them in the positions that I like. Then I go to the Kickoff launcher at left of the panel, and move the mouse cursor to the "Leave". The resulting menu has a "Save session" option. I click on that. And, thereafter, the session starts the way that I want.

There are a few programs that won't start properly that way. For those, I use

"Configure Desktop" --> "Startup and Shutdown" --> "Autostart"

where I can configure them.

-------

For Icewm, I create a shell script to start up the programs, and it must be at "$HOME/.icewm/startup".

For XFCE, there's an option to save the session, during logout. So I get everything running as desired, select that option of logout, and it is saved. I then login again to check. Then I logout, but I de-select that option so that it will continue with whatever is saved.

------

For Gnome 3 - I have not worked out how to do the equivalent. With Gnome 2, it was similar to XFCE. So I wrote a script, similar to what I use with Icewm, and after login to Gnome 3 I can use ALT-F2 to run that script. I do much the same with LXDE, where I also have not found a way to autostart programs.

One of the reasons that I prefer KDE, is that it seems easier to setup the way that I want.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast