Thread: Tip: KDE Rebind "Windows Menu" shortcut

Lightbulb Tip: KDE Rebind "Windows Menu" shortcut

Using: openSUSE 12.2, KDE.
    Having used Ubuntu/gnome 2 for several years, I had become used to the speed of ALT+Space to bring up my window menu for rapid maximize/normalize/minimize functions. Eventually I found this bound to ALT+F3, a horribly awkward binding in KDE (as found in the Wikipedia shorcuts table). I couldn't find any easy documentation on changing this, so I thought I would share here.

Applications -> Configure Desktop -> Shortcuts and Gestures -> Global Keyboard Shortcuts

here, as a newbie, I hadn't realized you could drop-down on "KDE Components" (with so many options, I start to miss things). I honestly thought Amarok was the only program with global shortcuts! *FACE PALM*
    Anyway, go to KWin and search "menu". The only option that appears for me is just what you want: "Windows Operation Menu." I rebound mine to Alt+Space.
    Once again, altogether thats:

Applications -> Configure Desktop -> Shortcuts and Gestures -> Global Keyboard Shortcuts | KDE Component: KWin : Search: "menu"

Link with picture: https://plus.google.com/u/0/10851006...ts/373xYfv3BJ9
    If anyone has improvements on my instructions, please share. Hope this helps save someone time.

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: Tip: KDE Rebind "Windows Menu" shortcut

Consider posting your tips in the following forum
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...iewed-how-faq/

If if you are more of of gnome guy(used Ubuntu/gnome 2 for several years) you could try openSUSE:GNOME Cinnamon - openSUSE

Ofcourse you need to install shell first and then install Cinnamon on top of that
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Default Re: Tip: KDE Rebind "Windows Menu" shortcut

Thanks,
    vazhavandan.

I've posted there, too.
    I'm going to stick with KDE; overall, I think I like it. I just have some quirks to work out.
    Also, I am really enjoying Plasma.