Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asus N53SV wireless hard-blocked. Switching hardware button does not help

Default Re: Asus N53SV wireless hard-blocked. Switching hardware button does not help

Terribly sorry about the late reply. I thought I was receiving notifications for this thread on new replies, but somehow, this last one didn't provide any.

And now to the embarassing part. Apparently, my computer has two hardware buttons for en-/disabling the wifi. One keystroke combination (fn+f2), and one button on the side of the laptop. I saw this button just two days ago, and had the chance to test my wireless connection today. Result: One happy, wireless network-using, embarassed me. Thanks to everyone who offered their help!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Asus N53SV wireless hard-blocked. Switching hardware button does not help

Quote Originally Posted by lisby View Post
    Terribly sorry about the late reply. I thought I was receiving notifications for this thread on new replies, but somehow, this last one didn't provide any.

And now to the embarassing part. Apparently, my computer has two hardware buttons for en-/disabling the wifi. One keystroke combination (fn+f2), and one button on the side of the laptop. I saw this button just two days ago, and had the chance to test my wireless connection today. Result: One happy, wireless network-using, embarassed me. Thanks to everyone who offered their help!
    And I was checking this thread since I installed succesfully on 2 of those machines, one user now complains he has no wifi. Gave him a call to check the Fn-F2 combo, no use, he called back to tell me he found the second button.......... and it wasn't you
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: Asus N53SV wireless hard-blocked. Switching hardware button doesnot help

On 12/27/2012 08:06 AM, Knurpht wrote:
    >
    > lisby;2513753 Wrote:
    >> Terribly sorry about the late reply. I thought I was receiving
    >> notifications for this thread on new replies, but somehow, this last one
    >> didn't provide any.
    >>
    >> And now to the embarassing part. Apparently, my computer has two
    >> hardware buttons for en-/disabling the wifi. One keystroke combination
    >> (fn+f2), and one button on the side of the laptop. I saw this button
    >> just two days ago, and had the chance to test my wireless connection
    >> today. Result: One happy, wireless network-using, embarassed me. Thanks
    >> to everyone who offered their help!

>
    > And I was checking this thread since I installed succesfully on 2 of
    > those machines, one user now complains he has no wifi. Gave him a call
    > to check the Fn-F2 combo, no use, he called back to tell me he found the
    > second button.......... and it wasn't you

At least rfkill told the truth, and I think I understand the logic. As the
    button on the side only blocks the wifi, you can kill it for security reasons,
    but still leave Bluetooth available for devices such as a mouse or keyboard. The
    Fn-F2 combo will kill both when you need all radios silent such as in a blast zone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12