Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: OpenSuse 12.2 ipad iOS6 airprint stops working

  1. #1

    Default OpenSuse 12.2 ipad iOS6 airprint stops working

    Hi All

    I had my ipad printing via airprint to my printer. It stopped working when I upgraded to iOS6. The reason is that Apple has changed from pdf to urf.

    I have been on the Internet and have found various solutions which I have tried. My ipad can now see my printer but when I print, the document does not appear in the print queue.

    What is curious is that even though CUPS and avahi are used, the solutions differ slightly depending on the distribution?

    So has anybody got iOS6 printing with CUPS and avahi on OpenSuse 12.2?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.2 ipad iOS6 airprint stops working

    Quote Originally Posted by khsuse View Post

    So has anybody got iOS6 printing with CUPS and avahi on OpenSuse 12.2?

    Thanks
    I hope you don't mind an answer almost a year after your query. After banging my head against the keyboard for many hours and reading a dozen sites, I discovered that the firewall defaults to blocking IPP printing. Since this machine is inside a network and behind another firewall, I've temporarily turned off the firewall until I can figure out what rules I need to add. So now my iOS6 devices print nicely to a networked printer. You can also change it to internal zone which opens all the ports.

    I tried allowing udp/631 on source port but that isn't enough. Neither is another rule for udp/631 on destination port.
    Firewall rules don't come easy to me so it will take me awhile to figure this out. The firewall log is too difficult for me to read.

    Hopefully this will get you started.

    Jon

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.2 ipad iOS6 airprint stops working

    On 2013-08-31 05:46, 6520302 wrote:

    > I tried allowing udp/631 on source port but that isn't enough. Neither
    > is another rule for udp/631 on destination port.
    > Firewall rules don't come easy to me so it will take me awhile to figure
    > this out. The firewall log is too difficult for me to read.


    For instance:

    Code:
    FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP="ipp"
    FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP="ipp"

    Or if you want to allow only one computer, do like this:

    Code:
    FW_TRUSTED_NETS="192.168.1.100,tcp,ipp    192.168.1.100,udp,ipp"

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  4. #4

    Cool Re: OpenSuse 12.2 ipad iOS6 airprint stops working

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-08-31 05:46, 6520302 wrote:

    > I tried allowing udp/631 on source port but that isn't enough. Neither
    > is another rule for udp/631 on destination port.
    > Firewall rules don't come easy to me so it will take me awhile to figure
    > this out. The firewall log is too difficult for me to read.


    For instance:

    Code:
    FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP="ipp"
    FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP="ipp"

    Or if you want to allow only one computer, do like this:

    Code:
    FW_TRUSTED_NETS="192.168.1.100,tcp,ipp    192.168.1.100,udp,ipp"

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)
    Thanks for these guidelines. I've only tried the gui in YaST so you have given me something else to investigate.

    I did finally resolve my firewall problem, thanks to finding a post by Tsu. ipp requires both tcp & udp open, as is also shown by your posted code.
    Once I added tcp/631 to my rules it worked very well.

    Rgds, Jon

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.2 ipad iOS6 airprint stops working

    On 2013-08-31 20:26, 6520302 wrote:

    > Thanks for these guidelines. I've only tried the gui in YaST so you
    > have given me something else to investigate.
    >
    > I did finally resolve my firewall problem, thanks to finding a post by
    > Tsu. ipp requires both tcp & udp open, as is also shown by your posted
    > code.
    > Once I added tcp/631 to my rules it worked very well.


    Ah, the GUI... It's long since I used it. I edit directly the file
    "/etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2" (I thought you were doing it this way).
    The comments are the same as in the GUI.

    I find editing the file easier than using the firewall GUI. You have to
    manually restart the firewall, the command is simply "SuSEfirewall2".

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •