Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to install gcc-4.4 on openSUSE 12.2?

  1. #1

    Default How to install gcc-4.4 on openSUSE 12.2?

    I need to compile a software package which requires gcc-4.4. (Yes, I agree it's stupid to have specific compiler version dependencies, but I didn't write the $@#! thing.) In yast, I only see options to install 4.7 and 4.3 (which I've done). I've tried to compile gcc-4.4.7 from the source, but it fails because of a missing "stubs-32.h" file, even though I've specified 64-bit only.

    Is there a repository somewhere that I can get it from? And for future reference, is there an easy way to find such repositories so that I don't have to waste everyone's time with dumb questions?

    Thanks,
    James

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herefordshire, England
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: How to install gcc-4.4 on openSUSE 12.2?

    This may work:

    RPM OpenSuSE 11.X gcc 4.4 x86_64 rpm

    John F.

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to install gcc-4.4 on openSUSE 12.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
    I need to compile a software package which requires gcc-4.4. (Yes, I agree it's stupid to have specific compiler version dependencies, but I didn't write the $@#! thing.) In yast, I only see options to install 4.7 and 4.3 (which I've done). I've tried to compile gcc-4.4.7 from the source, but it fails because of a missing "stubs-32.h" file, even though I've specified 64-bit only.

    Is there a repository somewhere that I can get it from? And for future reference, is there an easy way to find such repositories so that I don't have to waste everyone's time with dumb questions?
    From How To Ask Questions The Smart Way, your real problem is trying to compile a software package. You don't care about gcc-4.4. Perhaps it's easier/better to make that software compile with another gcc version than installing gcc 4.4.

    And because of How To Ask Questions The Smart Way you should give the name of that software package.


    The "correct" place to find it is in the devel:gcc repository. But it's disabled: https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ct=devel%3Agcc

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to install gcc-4.4 on openSUSE 12.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedDwarf View Post
    From How To Ask Questions The Smart Way, your real problem is trying to compile a software package. You don't care about gcc-4.4. Perhaps it's easier/better to make that software compile with another gcc version than installing gcc 4.4.

    And because of How To Ask Questions The Smart Way you should give the name of that software package.
    Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I am forced to care, for internal political reasons. Other people in our lab have developed and packaged this (it's not available to the world yet, and is unlikely to be of any interest unless you're into neurobiology). They say a) it works on our Ubuntu machines, so I should just run Ubuntu; and b) NVidia says that the latest CUDA libs require gcc-4.4. (They're wrong: all my other CUDA code compiles & runs with 4.3.)

    They've also used a substandard replacement for configure (cmake) to enforce their version requirements. Sure, I could either learn that package, or dig in and re-write their code, but I honestly think I have better uses for my time.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to install gcc-4.4 on openSUSE 12.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I am forced to care, for internal political reasons. Other people in our lab have developed and packaged this (it's not available to the world yet, and is unlikely to be of any interest unless you're into neurobiology). They say a) it works on our Ubuntu machines, so I should just run Ubuntu; and b) NVidia says that the latest CUDA libs require gcc-4.4. (They're wrong: all my other CUDA code compiles & runs with 4.3.)

    They've also used a substandard replacement for configure (cmake) to enforce their version requirements. Sure, I could either learn that package, or dig in and re-write their code, but I honestly think I have better uses for my time.
    Then create an OBS account, set your home repo to build for openSUSE 12.2 and run "osc linkpac devel:gcc gcc44 home:<your user>" and with some luck it will just work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •