Thread: How to have 2 architectures of python in openSUSE

Default How to have 2 architectures of python in openSUSE

Hello everyone,

I am struggling with a python script + c library that REQUIRES 32bit version of python. Currently I have 64 bit on my openSuSE 12.2 ... How can I install and use python 2.7.3 32bit without breaking anything?

Default Re: How to have 2 architectures of python in openSUSE

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 00:06:02 +0000, arooz001 wrote:

> How can I install *and use* python 2.7.3 32bit without breaking
    > anything?

Have you tried installing the python-32bit package? Those packages are
    created so they can co-exist, so it should "just work" if you install
    this package (and whatever other 32bit packages you need).

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Quote Originally Posted by arooz001 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am struggling with a python script + c library that REQUIRES 32bit version of python. Currently I have 64 bit on my openSuSE 12.2 ... How can I install and use python 2.7.3 32bit without breaking anything?
    To my knowledge you can only have one Python 2.7.3 version operating on a single Linux installation. There's nothing stopping you in YaST changing your Python version from x86_64 to i586 version. Of course if the same software you intend to create depends on 64-bit libraries, you'll have the same problem only in reverse.

Thanks for the replies. I have installed that. the question is how do i use that? where is the binary of python 32bit located?

Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 00:06:02 +0000, arooz001 wrote:

> How can I install *and use* python 2.7.3 32bit without breaking
    > anything?

Have you tried installing the python-32bit package? Those packages are
    created so they can co-exist, so it should "just work" if you install
    this package (and whatever other 32bit packages you need).

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 01:16:01 +0000, arooz001 wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. I have installed that. the question is how do i
    > use that? where is the binary of python 32bit located?

Offhand not sure, but you can find out with:

rpm -ql python-32bit

That'll list all the files in the package.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Quote Originally Posted by arooz001 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have installed that. the question is how do i use that? where is the binary of python 32bit located?
    Code:
    dhcppc0:/ # zypper info python-32bit
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Information for package python-32bit:
    Repository: openSUSE-12.2-Oss                                                                                                                                                 
    Name: python-32bit                                                                                                                                                            
    Version: 2.7.3-3.6.1                                                                                                                                                          
    Arch: x86_64                                                                                                                                                                  
    Vendor: openSUSE                                                                                                                                                              
    Installed: No                                                                                                                                                                 
    Status: not installed                                                                                                                                                         
    Installed Size: 282.9 KiB                                                                                                                                                     
    Summary: Python Interpreter
    Description: 
    Python is an interpreted, object-oriented programming language, and is
    often compared to Tcl, Perl, Scheme, or Java.  You can find an overview
    of Python in the documentation and tutorials included in the python-doc
    (HTML) or python-doc-pdf (PDF) packages.
    If you want to install third party modules using distutils, you need to
    install python-devel package.
    The relevant repository is openSUSE-12.2-Oss, which you should already have listed since it's there by default. If not it's at: Index of /distribution/12.2/repo/oss

.. apologies... didn't read your question properly. I assume since the binaries of the 64-version is located in /usr/lib64/, the 32-bit equivalents would be in /usr/lib/

Hmmm. after some hunting I found the executables in /usr/bin/, with no clear reference to 64-bit versioning. There are no changes to these executables after installing the 32-bit version in addition.

Looking at the Arch forums, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=100193 , having the two together concurrently is theoretically possible but not straightforward.

A rather perverse and twisted way is to install Wine and install a 32-bit version of Python for Windows within it.