Thread: Clarification about ClamAV

Question Clarification about ClamAV

Hi,

there is one thing i never really understood and would like someone whit enought knowledge to clarify me.

On this page: Clam AntiVirus it is said that:

ClamAV is included in the OpenSuse distribution and in Novell’s Suse Linux Enterprise products.
    Does this means that ClamAV is already built-in in the OpenSuse itself or does one have to actually install it (which is what i think it has to be done)

(and i do not think an AV is needed! It's just a curiosity.)

Tks

Default Re: Clarification about ClamAV

It means that it is in one of the standard repos that are openSUSE. It means that when you start YaST > Software > Software management end you use the word clamav in the search field, you will see it in the list at right, ready to be selected and installed.

And yes, you do not need such a things, except when you want to protect Windows people from virusses that may be in fioles you deliver to them (and which of course you got from a Windows systems first, not that you created the virus). E.g. when you are a mail server and want to clean up mails going through it.

It is useless to protect your Linux system because there are no Linux virusses and even if they existed, Clamav (and friends) would not know about them and not recocnise them.
    Henk van Velden

On 2012-12-06 11:56, SpeccyMan wrote:

> Does this means that ClamAV is already built-in in the OpenSuse itself
    > or does one have to actually install it (which is what i think it has to
    > be done)

You have to install it as any other package that openSUSE supplies.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

hi,

Thank you both for your answers . My English knowledge is far from perfect and, from times to times, there are a few things i need to clarify

Anyway... now i'm curios about hcvv statement:

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    ...and even if they existed, Clamav (and friends) would not know about them and not recocnise them.
    why wouldn't an AV be able to reconise a Linux virus?! (if they existed, of course... LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeccyMan View Post
    hi, Thank you both for your answers . My English knowledge is far from perfect and, from times to times, there are a few things i need to clarify Anyway... now i'm curios about hcvv statement: why wouldn't an AV be able to reconise a Linux virus?! (if they existed, of course... LOL)
    Because those AV programs search for fingerprints of known virusses (that is why they update there knowlege database so often, to download the properties/fingerprints of new detected virusses). And you can not search for a fingerprint of something you never saw/detected.
    Henk van Velden