Firefox & thunderbird popup windows disapears with nvidia

Hi,

I’ve got 5 openSUSE 12.2 x64 installations and this only happens in the one with nvidia graphics (nvidia driver).
In Firefox and thunderbird, after some time all popup menus (context menu, etc) start to immediately disappear after showing up. I cannot see or click on anything.

I tried to disable hardware acceleration (which was suggested in a firefox forum) but it did not work.

Best,
Joon

Which add-ons do you have installed? Try running FF with the add-ons disabled. If problem stops, enable the add-ons one by one until it returns. Remove the one that brings back the problem. To disable the add-ons, go to Help->Restart with add-ons disabled.

And if you can’t get at the help window because that, too, disappears, try starting firefox from the command line with “firefox -safe-mode”. HTH Lenwolf

Did you ever “tell” a FF window to be moved to another desktop, or to stick in the background? I’ve seen situations where the interface seemed frozen, the cause being a popup or dialog window behind the main interface window.

Thanks. I actually did this but it happened when no add-ons are activated. I will try this safe mode thing again. But since it also happens in Thunderbird as well, I kinda think there is some bugs in their GUI.

Best,
Joon

Not really. I tried many things but it just happens after some uptime.

Thank you,
Joon

If stuff goes wrong after some uptime, memory is the first thing that comes to mind. Did you test the RAM lately?

Not really. But if the memory were the problem, then other applications would have had some symptoms as well. It’s only mozilla apps related and there are other reports of similar issue on the web as well. Anyway, the safe-started firefox has been okay for a couple of hours so I will see if it stays that way, and if so then I will try to find out if any of the extensions were the culprit.

Thank you,
Joon