Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

  1. #1

    Default Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

    <p>
    GREETINGs to all, Am using a 64 bit suse linux 11.3 (Gnome), I downloaded the skype rpm file to my downloads directory but it has failed to install. i understand skype has no 32 bit rpm. i tried to install the rpm package using YaST but it failed. and tried using the terminal. I su in, and <span style="color:#0000ff;"><strong>cd</strong></span> into my downloads directory and the entered this command to install skype: rpm -Uvh ./skype-4.1.0.20-suse.i586.rpm But instead i got this: error: Failed dependencies: libQtWebKit.so.4 is needed by skype-4.1.0.20-suse121.i586 libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.15) is needed by skype-4.1.0.20-suse121.i586 I have also tried using zypper, and also read several forums on-line but all have failed. Can some one help me and give me a clear, and simple step by step procedure for installing skype on my system</p>

  2. #2

    Default Re: Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by xel256 View Post
    <p>
    GREETINGs to all, Am using a 64 bit suse linux 11.3 (Gnome), I downloaded the skype rpm file to my downloads directory but it has failed to install. i understand skype has no 32 bit rpm. i tried to install the rpm package using YaST but it failed. and tried using the terminal. I su in, and <span style="color:#0000ff;"><strong>cd</strong></span> into my downloads directory and the entered this command to install skype: rpm -Uvh ./skype-4.1.0.20-suse.i586.rpm But instead i got this: error: Failed dependencies: libQtWebKit.so.4 is needed by skype-4.1.0.20-suse121.i586 libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.15) is needed by skype-4.1.0.20-suse121.i586 I have also tried using zypper, and also read several forums on-line but all have failed. Can some one help me and give me a clear, and simple step by step procedure for installing skype on my system</p>
    Have you looked at: SDB:Skype - openSUSE ? It's rather odd the way that installing the Skype RPM doesn't automatically pull in the necessary packages but there's a ceremony you have to go through to get it working. It should install successfully using `sudo (or su -c) zypper install skype-4.etc...'. But it won't run if there are missing dependencies. You can invoke `skype' from a terminal and it will complain about which packages are missing, but I think the major ones are the 32-bit versions of the libqt-x11 and libpng libraries IIRC.

  3. #3
    dd NNTP User

    Default Re: Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

    On 11/28/2012 07:36 PM, xel256 wrote:
    > read several forums on-line but all have failed.


    don't just search the entire internet, instead just search in the
    openSUSE universe by specifying the openSUSE site, like this search
    looks only in our english wiki:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=site...suse.org+skype

    > Can some one help me and give me a clear, and
    > simple step by step procedure for installing skype on my system


    the above google turns up, as first hit, this:

    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Skype

    --
    dd

  4. #4

    Default Re: Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

    Skype 4 is never going to install on 11.3. Use the Dynamic build. You'll still need to install all the normal dependencies, but then you unpack the Skype archive and copy the files into the locations designated in the README file. I'm on 11.4, and that's what I've been doing.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    Have you looked at: SDB:Skype - openSUSE ? It's rather odd the way that installing the Skype RPM doesn't automatically pull in the necessary packages but there's a ceremony you have to go through to get it working. It should install successfully using `sudo (or su -c) zypper install skype-4.etc...'. But it won't run if there are missing dependencies. You can invoke `skype' from a terminal and it will complain about which packages are missing, but I think the major ones are the 32-bit versions of the libqt-x11 and libpng libraries IIRC.
    Yes I looked at it, and tried installing from the community repo as the site suggests for suse 11.3 but still stuff doesn't work. I tried tried installing all the dependencies via the console and I only succeeded with xorg, all the others libqt-x11, libpng were already present and the console kept on giving a message that there is no need of updating them because they're already upto date.

  6. #6
    dd NNTP User

    Default Re: Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

    On 11/29/2012 08:56 AM, xel256 wrote:
    > suse 11.3


    SORRY, i am just now noticing what version you are using!!

    11.3 is past its end of life (cite:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime and no longer receiving
    security patches. It therefore should not be exposed to untrusted
    networks and you are strongly advised to move to a supported version
    (currently 12.1 and 12.2

    i doubt you will ever be able to load Skype into 11.3...and if you were
    successful you should _never_ use it because you should NOT run 11.3 on
    the internet!! it has well known security flaws not patched in the
    almost TWO years since 11.3 went end of life!

    now, you might find a few still thinking that 11.3 is ok for use, but i
    wouldn't use it, i too highly value my bank account passwords, etc...

    --
    dd

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,846
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

    For Skype you need some 32bit libs, your system is not going to find these, for the reason DenverD describes. Move to 12.2
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  8. #8

    Default Re: Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    On 11/29/2012 08:56 AM, xel256 wrote:
    > suse 11.3


    SORRY, i am just now noticing what version you are using!!

    11.3 is past its end of life (cite:
    Lifetime - openSUSE and no longer receiving
    security patches. It therefore should not be exposed to untrusted
    networks and you are strongly advised to move to a supported version
    (currently 12.1 and 12.2

    i doubt you will ever be able to load Skype into 11.3...and if you were
    successful you should _never_ use it because you should NOT run 11.3 on
    the internet!! it has well known security flaws not patched in the
    almost TWO years since 11.3 went end of life!

    now, you might find a few still thinking that 11.3 is ok for use, but i
    wouldn't use it, i too highly value my bank account passwords, etc...

    --
    dd
    dd,
    you are right. I have just managed to install it now after a series of entering hundreds of codes. I now see the skype icon under prorams but when I click it nothing happens.
    Then also to try and have more fun, I typed skype in the command-line so I could launch it from there but instead I got this:

    skype: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by skype)
    Can you also advice me on this?

    I also get this warning when trying to find missing dependencies via the terminal
    Warning: Repository 'Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82' appears to outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server.
    I even didn't know that 11.3 is out of life. I w'd indeed like to migrate 12.1 or 12.2.
    How can I upgrade to 12.1 or 2 without doing a fresh re-installation of suse again, and without losing my settings and other programs?

  9. #9
    dd NNTP User

    Default Re: Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

    On 11/29/2012 10:56 AM, xel256 wrote:
    > How can I upgrade to 12.1 or 2 without doing a fresh re-installation of
    > suse again, and without losing my settings and other programs?


    there are three supported/recommended ways to upgrade, two of those ONLY
    talk about upgrading from one version to the next (like 11.3 to 11.4) if
    you were to do that then you would have to keep going because 11.4 is no
    longer current either...and it is three hops to the latest!!

    those two are: http://tinyurl.com/35p966c & http://tinyurl.com/93uemsr

    the third way says you can go more than one version, BUT it also (as do
    the others) warn of potential problems and advises you to do a complete
    backup of all data you wanna keep, and it is quite involved, see here
    http://tinyurl.com/7l4m2td

    and i won't give advice i know to be unsafe (how to force skype to work
    on your no longer secure system.)

    --
    dd http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

  10. #10

    Default Re: Skype not installing on my 64 bit suse linux 11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by xel256 View Post
    dd,
    skype: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by skype)
    Can you also advice me on this?
    If you are down to that last issue, then the Dynamic version should work. The above issue cannot be resolved without upgrading the c libraries on the distro, which for all practical purposes, is not possible. If you don't believe me, browse through the first several pages of this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •