Thread: Oracle Virtual Box install: Unable to load R3 module SuSE 12.2 64 bit

Question Oracle Virtual Box install: Unable to load R3 module SuSE 12.2 64 bit

I installed Oracle Virtual Box from the Oracle site after not finding it in YaST.
    I subsequently realized that I needed to run: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    which led me to install make, gcc, and the kernel source files using YaST.
    Then I ran the /usr/bin/X11/virtualbox by hand to find the failure in line 77
    which led me to add myself to the group vboxusers.

At this point I tried to start the Windows7 as a virutal machine in VirtualBox (to install it), and I received the following message:
    (I created the Windows7 space using the New button previously.)

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows_7.

Unable to load R3 module /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxDD.so (VBoxDD):
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxDD.so: undefined symbol: VDAsyncDiscardRanges (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component: Console
    Interface: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}

I went to the forums and found I should have started there. :-(

I also installed the matching Oracle extension file (actually VirtualBox installed it for me). It had no effect on this error even after a reboot.

Here is what is installed:
    $ rpm -qa | grep virtualbox
    virtualbox-qt-4.1.22-1.6.1.x86_64
    virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-4.1.22_k3.4.6_2.10-1.6.1.x86_64
    virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-4.1.22_k3.4.6_2.10-1.6.1.x86_64
    virtualbox-4.1.22-1.6.1.x86_64
    virtualbox-guest-tools-4.1.22-1.6.1.x86_64

Running
    Linux 3.4.11-2.16-desktop x86_64
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64)

#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 197632 (from /usr/include/linux/version.h.)

/proc/version
    Linux version 3.4.11-2.16-desktop (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.7.1 20120723
    [gcc-4_7-branch revision 189773] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 26 17:05:
    00 UTC 2012 (259fc87)

I'm sure this is something simple, but I'm not seeing it. Any ideas what I have failed to install or configure properly?

Thank you.

Default Re: Oracle Virtual Box install: Unable to load R3 module SuSE 12.2 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by bookmeister View Post
    I installed Oracle Virtual Box from the Oracle site after not finding it in YaST.
    I subsequently realized that I needed to run: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    which led me to install make, gcc, and the kernel source files using YaST.
    Then I ran the /usr/bin/X11/virtualbox by hand to find the failure in line 77
    which led me to add myself to the group vboxusers.
    That's all right. Just for info, the following command would have done all these steps for you - including downloading Oracle VirtualBox rpm:

Code:
    $ vboxlive --install
    See this thread: The fastest and easiest way to install Oracle VirtualBox!

Here is what is installed:
    $ rpm -qa | grep virtualbox
    virtualbox-qt-4.1.22-1.6.1.x86_64
    virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-4.1.22_k3.4.6_2.10-1.6.1.x86_64
    virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-4.1.22_k3.4.6_2.10-1.6.1.x86_64
    virtualbox-4.1.22-1.6.1.x86_64
    virtualbox-guest-tools-4.1.22-1.6.1.x86_64
    You don't need any of these files with Oracle VirtualBox. Here's what I get (notice the "-i" option with grep):

Code:
    # rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox
    VirtualBox-4.2-4.2.4_81684_openSUSE114-1.x86_64
    You have two different versions of VirtualBox installed now, Oracle and OSE. That's the problem here.

Default Re: Oracle Virtual Box install: Unable to load R3 module SuSE 12.2 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    That's all right. Just for info, the following command would have done all these steps for you - including downloading Oracle VirtualBox rpm:

Code:
    $ vboxlive --install
    See this thread: The fastest and easiest way to install Oracle VirtualBox!

You don't need any of these files with Oracle VirtualBox. Here's what I get (notice the "-i" option with grep):

Code:
    # rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox
    VirtualBox-4.2-4.2.4_81684_openSUSE114-1.x86_64
    You have two different versions of VirtualBox installed now, Oracle and OSE. That's the problem here.
    I just realized that and removed everything. I'm going to go back to the beginning. Thanks.

Cool Re: Oracle Virtual Box install: Unable to load R3 module SuSE 12.2 64 bit

I just realized that and removed everything. I'm going to go back to the beginning. Thanks.
    I used YaST to remove everything I had installed related to virtualbox.

Using YaST to install only the SuSE modules, I wasn't getting an executable, just a share and libraries (the 4.1.22 stuff).

I added the following repository:
    Index of /repositories/Virtualization/openSUSE_12.2
    based on the "VirtualBox on openSuSE" article.

Then when I went back into YaST, I found the 4.2.4 virtual stuff that hadn't been there before. I selected virtualbox-qt and virtualbox (both 4.2.4-57.6 currently) and let YaST find dependencies.

Here's the tricky part: The executable is called VirtualBox, not virtualbox (in /usr/bin). I thought it hadn't installed at first.

That brought me to a (mostly) working VirtualBox. When windows was installing, it failed with a 0xc0000225 error. A co-worker suggested I Google "virtualbox 0xc0000225" and I found that I had to use the Chipset PIIX3 (check) and I had to enable IO APIC (aha!). That fixed it and windows installed without further problems.