Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: how to limit updates to get important ones only

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    24

    Default how to limit updates to get important ones only

    hey guys i was linux mint user in which updates is not difficult in a sence that it tells which update is most recommended and which is least but in opensuse it give a very long list of updates available ...i cant just install every update tell me how to change settings so that i might get only most recommended and important updates only...and tell me how do i know which updates are most important in the given list

    thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: how to limit updates to get important ones only

    On 2012-11-27 12:36, yasirassassin wrote:

    > thanks in advance


    zypper patch or yast online update.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  3. #3
    dd NNTP User

    Default Re: how to limit updates to get important ones only

    On 11/27/2012 12:36 PM, yasirassassin wrote:
    >
    > hey guys i was linux mint user in which updates is not difficult in a
    > sence that it tells which update is most recommended and which is least
    > but in opensuse it give a very long list of updates available


    where are you seeing that very long list? in zypper? or YaST Online
    Update? or apper (in KDE)? or packagekit (in GNOME) *please* in the
    future always tell us the operating system and version and the desktop
    environment and version, because the answer can then be shaped to fit
    your need!

    some people (lots of people) put that infomation in their signature
    (which you can do somewhere in the forum software--or just remember to
    include it with each question/thread you start)

    ok, i just looked as some of your other threads and see you have 12.1,
    with is pretty old....which means there has been LOTS of *security*
    patches and bug updates..

    you need them *ALL*, and unfortunately they should have all been applied
    before you started trying to 'fix' any problems or add any software..

    HOWEVER: do NOT install those patches with either apper or packagekit,
    instead, open YaST Online Update and allow everything listed _there_ to
    be installed (unfortunately in 12.1 both apper and packagekits list of
    stuff was NOT correct when compared to YaST Online Update--always use
    YaST, never use the other--right click on apper/packagekit and disable it!

    >...i cant just install every update


    why? if you can't keep your system secure then you need to connect it to
    the internet.

    > tell me how to change settings so that i might
    > get only most recommended and important updates only...and tell me how
    > do i know which updates are most important in the given list


    as said: if you installed openSUSE 12.1 in the last month you NEED every
    update and patch installed in order to have a secure and smooth running
    system.

    now, once you have made that big update and have a stable system, then
    when you have disabled apper/packagekit and occasionally run YaST Online
    Update you will occasionally see a new patch flow through and they will
    be in two lists, one for Security and one Recommended...._always_
    install the security patches....but, you may look at the recommended and
    make a decision....like you might see a recommended patch which is for
    the printing subsystems--and, if you don't have a printer then you may
    elect to not install that one and instead mark it "Taboo--never install"
    (or something like that)

    --
    dd

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: how to limit updates to get important ones only

    Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    On 11/27/2012 12:36 PM, yasirassassin wrote:
    >
    > hey guys i was linux mint user in which updates is not difficult in a
    > sence that it tells which update is most recommended and which is least
    > but in opensuse it give a very long list of updates available


    where are you seeing that very long list? in zypper? or YaST Online
    Update? or apper (in KDE)? or packagekit (in GNOME) *please* in the
    future always tell us the operating system and version and the desktop
    environment and version, because the answer can then be shaped to fit
    your need!

    some people (lots of people) put that infomation in their signature
    (which you can do somewhere in the forum software--or just remember to
    include it with each question/thread you start)

    ok, i just looked as some of your other threads and see you have 12.1,
    with is pretty old....which means there has been LOTS of *security*
    patches and bug updates..

    you need them *ALL*, and unfortunately they should have all been applied
    before you started trying to 'fix' any problems or add any software..

    HOWEVER: do NOT install those patches with either apper or packagekit,
    instead, open YaST Online Update and allow everything listed _there_ to
    be installed (unfortunately in 12.1 both apper and packagekits list of
    stuff was NOT correct when compared to YaST Online Update--always use
    YaST, never use the other--right click on apper/packagekit and disable it!

    >...i cant just install every update


    why? if you can't keep your system secure then you need to connect it to
    the internet.

    > tell me how to change settings so that i might
    > get only most recommended and important updates only...and tell me how
    > do i know which updates are most important in the given list


    as said: if you installed openSUSE 12.1 in the last month you NEED every
    update and patch installed in order to have a secure and smooth running
    system.

    now, once you have made that big update and have a stable system, then
    when you have disabled apper/packagekit and occasionally run YaST Online
    Update you will occasionally see a new patch flow through and they will
    be in two lists, one for Security and one Recommended...._always_
    install the security patches....but, you may look at the recommended and
    make a decision....like you might see a recommended patch which is for
    the printing subsystems--and, if you don't have a printer then you may
    elect to not install that one and instead mark it "Taboo--never install"
    (or something like that)

    --
    dd
    mmm i got it well i downloaded opensuse 12.2 recently its an iso file now since i dont have a fast net connection so if i extract that iso into a folder say opensuse 12.2 and then i go into repositories and add that local directory as a repository then if i update will it update 12.1 to 12.2 ??
    am just talking about possibility that if i disable all other repositories and make just dis directory repository on will it work?
    what am trying to do here is that if it works and it updates some thing from latest release perhaps then i will have left with less updates to download and then i can easily update my system..as i have already told you i dont have a good internet connection its just 1mb/sec dsl connection

  5. #5
    dd NNTP User

    Default Re: how to limit updates to get important ones only

    On 11/27/2012 04:06 PM, yasirassassin wrote:

    > mmm i got it well i downloaded opensuse 12.2 recently its an iso file


    an iso of a DVD or a Live CD??

    > now since i dont have a fast net connection so if i extract that iso
    > into a folder say opensuse 12.2 and then i go into repositories and add
    > that local directory as a repository then if i update will it update
    > 12.1 to 12.2 ??


    i assume you have a 12.2 DVD, and if your 12.1 is fully updated (it
    must be fully updated before you take the next step of upgrading from
    12.1 to 12.2) then you can follow these directions:
    http://tinyurl.com/7l4m2td which does NOT include the step you mention
    of copying the iso to a local partition...mainly because it is necessary
    to _boot_ from the 12.2 install disk..

    hmmmmm, Carlos (who wrote that how-to) may know a way to skip the
    burn-the-iso-to-a-disk (or to a USB) step, but i don't know it.....

    then, once you have installed 12.2 you still will have patches waiting
    to be installed!!

    see, openSUSE is a FAST moving distro....the very day 12.2 was released
    there were patches waiting (because the iso is frozen DAYS prior to
    public release, and thing were 'fixed' after the iso was released)..


    > am just talking about possibility that if i disable all other
    > repositories and make just dis directory repository on will it work?


    i don't know how to do it, but maybe someone else here does!

    > what am trying to do here is that if it works and it updates some thing
    > from latest release perhaps then i will have left with less updates to
    > download and then i can easily update my system..as i have already told
    > you i dont have a good internet connection its just 1mb/sec dsl
    > connection


    fact is openSUSE may not be the best distro for a user with low
    bandwidth (unless that one has a good portion of patience, and money to
    pay for the bandwidth..)

    --
    dd

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: how to limit updates to get important ones only

    mmm ok got it thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: how to limit updates to get important ones only

    by the way i was not saying that am going to copy that iso directly into that directory i was saying that i will copy all files from that iso and paste those files in that directory

    becuase previously when my internet was not working i copied my opensuse 12.1 dvd (which contained installation files not iso ) into a directory and added that directory into repository by doing that i was able to install softwares from that directory without internet

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: how to limit updates to get important ones only

    On 2012-11-27 16:53, dd wrote:
    > On 11/27/2012 04:06 PM, yasirassassin wrote:


    > i assume you have a 12.2 DVD, and if your 12.1 is fully updated (it
    > must be fully updated before you take the next step of upgrading from
    > 12.1 to 12.2) then you can follow these directions:
    > http://tinyurl.com/7l4m2td which does NOT include the step you mention
    > of copying the iso to a local partition...mainly because it is necessary
    > to _boot_ from the 12.2 install disk..
    >
    > hmmmmm, Carlos (who wrote that how-to) may know a way to skip the
    > burn-the-iso-to-a-disk (or to a USB) step, but i don't know it.....


    Huh, oh...

    I'd have to think about it. There are methods to boot from a file, but
    they are not for the beginner. I have never attempted them, so I could
    not explain how to do it.


    > fact is openSUSE may not be the best distro for a user with low
    > bandwidth (unless that one has a good portion of patience, and money to
    > pay for the bandwidth..)


    Very true. Tonight I'm back at home, but for a month I have been with my
    laptop limited to 500MB/month. To do updates I had to go to a friend and
    borrow his home network.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: how to limit updates to get important ones only

    mmm ok i get your point ...
    thanks for reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •