Thread: Tips/Tutoriais to Build a Simples Server (Printer/File Sharing/Backup)

Default Tips/Tutoriais to Build a Simples Server (Printer/File Sharing/Backup)

Where I Can found good tips or tutorial or something similar to build a simple server to use on my friend Home Office.
    I need to configure the server for him and at first moment I used Ubuntu, but the filesharing with windows doesn't works well... I share some folder, with the his user owner and etc.. but when any windows try to access everything is public!

Well, I need to configure this:

1. File Sharing with windows (and users control);
    2. Backup Files
    3. Print server to Some HP printers.

If have any other distro who can make this easily could be a solution for him needs!

Thanks a lot.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tips/Tutoriais to Build a Simples Server (Printer/File Sharing/Backup)

Quote Originally Posted by dcbasso View Post
    Where I Can found good tips or tutorial or something similar to build a simple server to use on my friend Home Office.
    I need to configure the server for him and at first moment I used Ubuntu, but the filesharing with windows doesn't works well... I share some folder, with the his user owner and etc.. but when any windows try to access everything is public!

2. Backup Files

If have any other distro who can make this easily could be a solution for him needs!

Thanks a lot.
    For:

1. you need Samba, a Yast module is available to set it up. Instructions can be found in the wiki and the SDB
    2. Lots of options, rsync is a good option
    3. Setup all printers on the server, using Yast and hp-setup, when done, switch on printer sharing on the network for this machine. Setup Samba to make the printers available to the Windows clients.

This will be the same on other linux distros. AFAIK it's not possible to have some kind of preconfigured distro. Even commercial solutions have to be configured.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tips/Tutoriais to Build a Simples Server (Printer/File Sharing/Backup)

Quote Originally Posted by dcbasso View Post

2. Backup Files

Thanks a lot.
    Have a read of this: HowTo Set up an openSUSE-Windows Home Office LAN/Network
    And delete all the default [shares] templates and then get the secure share that you want perhaps from here: HowTo Configure a Professional File Server on a SOHO LAN
    Just a bit of background to keep in mind. Software should have been completely installed by default, you just have to config it.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Thank you all!