Screen resolution on Hyper-V

I am new to Linux and clawing my way through. I have been able to get most of it setup with the use of Google. I have one remaining issue. I can’t set the resolution any higher than 800X600. It defaults tehre and does not give any other options. I could live with this but I have found windows that do not display scroll bars. Anyway, this is setup as a guest on Hyper-V. It is using the fbdev video driver and the monitor is showing as unknown in Gnome.

So this has to do with the display card emulation in Hyper-V and if you are able to load their extensions into openSUSE. I mostly use VirtualBox with a Linux Host and use their extensions for display emulation where they support Windows and Linux Guests very well. In the end, I wonder if you might get better help for Hyper-V in one of the MS forums? Or, you might download Oracles VirtualBox for Windows upon which we could provide a lot more help with using openSUSE as a guest. Officially, only SuSE Linux Enterprise Serve is supported according to this info I found here: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/supported-operating-systems-on-hyper-v-with-windows-server-2012/5845

In the Linux realm, the list is smaller yet workable. Hyper-V with Windows Server 2012 will include CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.

Thank You,

Hello,
I found a solution on the web, perhaps there are better ways but at least you can go up to 1152x864:

In
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

edit the file
50-device.conf

as follow:
Section “Device”
Identifier “Default Device”
Driver “vesa”
EndSection

The easiest way to do this is to copy the commented text in the file, paste it at the end, uncomment it and replace the driver name with vesa.

You need to edit as root in order to be able to save the file.

restart & enjoy.

There was a recent thread on this topic, outlining the solution:

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/487353-opensuse-12-03-only-give-800x600-display-resolution-capability-microsoft-hyper-v-virtual-box.html