Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Incomplete backup of home directory

  1. #1

    Default Incomplete backup of home directory

    Hi

    What I am trying to do is backup my complete home directory to an external usb drive, minus some directories with music etc which I store separately. The problem I keep getting is that certain files won't write to the usb drive.
    I know that symlinks are out and can undertand why I aslo notice that certain characters in the file name stuff it up such as ;:" etc and if I get one I can easily change the file name. The specific problem I have at the moment is trying to copy my Vmware directories. I can only get partial transfer of the .vmdk file then get an error that the file can't be written to the usb drive.
    I have tried changing permissions and converting to a tar file but nothing seems to work. there are no problems with space on the drive.
    I have also tried various other backup solutions such as luckybackup, kbackup etc but again with these there are always significant numbers of files not transferred.
    Also where will I find the dolphin transfer log.

    I'm running a Dell laptop with opensuse 12.1 with kde 4.7.2 (4.7.2) "release 5"

    Thanks for any help you can give.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Incomplete backup of home directory

    On 2012-11-10 12:06, terpic wrote:
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > What I am trying to do is backup my complete home directory to an
    > external usb drive, minus some directories with music etc which I store
    > separately. The problem I keep getting is that certain files won't write
    > to the usb drive.
    > I know that symlinks are out and can undertand why I aslo notice that
    > certain characters in the file name stuff it up such as ;:" etc and if I
    > get one I can easily change the file name. The specific problem I have
    > at the moment is trying to copy my Vmware directories. I can only get
    > partial transfer of the .vmdk file then get an error that the file can't
    > be written to the usb drive.


    That drive is formatted as FAT? You can't, you need to format it as a
    linux native filesystem.

    FAT can not hold files bigger that 2 or 4 GB, I don't remember which.
    And besides that, no permissions of linux types.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,038
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Incomplete backup of home directory

    Same thought here. Must be a FAT partitition, you VM's are too big for that. Create an ext4 partition on the USB disk, big enough to store your /home.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  4. #4

    Default Re: Incomplete backup of home directory

    I've refomatted the drive to ext4 and lost a load of storage space on it the drive has gone from 1TB to 916G with 46G used leaving only 870G for storage.

    why is 130G unusable and what is using the 46G?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Incomplete backup of home directory

    I've found out why the space is lost and also using tune2fs sets the reserve blocks to 0%

    It's a pity that its got to be ext4 as I was hoping to plug the drive into the usb port on my router which only recognises fat (don't know why) & use it for automatic backups.

    Still haven't found a good backup programme.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Incomplete backup of home directory

    On 2012-11-10 19:46, terpic wrote:
    >
    > I've found out why the space is lost and also using tune2fs sets the
    > reserve blocks to 0%


    I was going to suggest that.

    > It's a pity that its got to be ext4 as I was hoping to plug the drive
    > into the usb port on my router which only recognises fat (don't know
    > why) & use it for automatic backups.


    You might use ntfs, doesn't have that size limitation.

    However, if you do backups file by file, you need a Linux native
    filesystem, or you can not save Linux permissions and attributes. The
    alternative is to backup to archives instead. Some software also break
    the archives in 2G chunks to bypass the 2G limit.


    > Still haven't found a good backup programme.


    Me neither, one that has _all_ the features I want. Some, yes. Other
    have other features I also like.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,038
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Incomplete backup of home directory

    Luckybackup serves the needs I have, which mainly comes down to
    - saving snapshots
    - saving all user perms etc.
    It even allows you to use different parameters for different backup jobs
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Incomplete backup of home directory

    On 2012-11-11 12:36, Knurpht wrote:
    >
    > Luckybackup serves the needs I have, which mainly comes down to
    > - saving snapshots
    > - saving all user perms etc.
    > It even allows you to use different parameters for different backup
    > jobs


    Does it have:
    - compression
    - forward error recovery, aka some sort of data redundancy that allows
    for media recovery in case of r/w error?


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  9. #9

    Default Re: Incomplete backup of home directory

    I just ran a complete backup of my /home directory using luckybackup and there was a 25G difference in the source and destination so I'm going to carry on doing it the slow way and just drag and drop across to the usb drive. It's not a brilliant solution but seems to get most of the files over and warns of any that won't copy accross.

    is there anything out there that will clone a whole directoy or even a drive so that files or directories can be fetched individually from the destination drive?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Incomplete backup of home directory

    On 2012-11-11 15:36, terpic wrote:
    > is there anything out there that will clone a whole directoy or even a
    > drive so that files or directories can be fetched individually from the
    > destination drive?


    rsync.
    Either directly or with derivative scripts. rdiff backups, dirvish...
    not sure of the names, tough.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •