Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can't delete system mail

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    63

    Default Can't delete system mail

    Got a weird one here. My account receives system mail from Nagios and I can read it using "mail" at a shell prompt. I can also delete it all using "delete *" command. The problem is when I exit the mail app and launch it again, all the messages are still there. If I type "delete *" twice the second attempt results in the following message: "No applicable messages."

    Why are these e-mails coming back? Is there a commit I have to perform after the delete or something?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Can't delete system mail

    On 2012-11-08 02:26, DiskCrasher wrote:
    >
    > Got a weird one here. My account receives system mail from Nagios and I
    > can read it using "mail" at a shell prompt. I can also delete it all
    > using "delete *" command. The problem is when I exit the mail app and
    > launch it again, all the messages are still there. If I type "delete *"
    > twice the second attempt results in the following message: "No
    > applicable messages."


    Try alpine instead.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Can't delete system mail

    Using Alpine gave me a hint with their Expunge command. I re-tried mail and it works if I type "quit" instead of "exit" after deleting the messages. Doh.

  4. #4
    dd NNTP User

    Default Re: Can't delete system mail

    On 11/08/2012 05:06 AM, DiskCrasher wrote:
    >
    > Using Alpine gave me a hint with their Expunge command. I re-tried mail
    > and it works if I type "quit" instead of "exit" after deleting the
    > messages. Doh.


    yep, it is working as intended...by using 'exit' you were shutting down
    the mail system in a way causing it to undo the 'deletes'..

    from man mail:
    Code:
    Disposing of mail
    After examining a message the user can delete `d') the message or reply
    `r') to it. Deletion causes the mailx program to forget about the
    message. This is not irreversible; the message can be undeleted `u') by
    giving its number, or the mailx session can be aborted by giving the
    exit `x') command.
    --
    dd

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Can't delete system mail

    On 2012-11-08 08:51, dd wrote:
    > yep, it is working as intended...by using 'exit' you were shutting down
    > the mail system in a way causing it to undo the 'deletes'..


    It is a feature or consequence of the mbox format used for mails. It is
    a single file with each mail separated from the next with a text like this:

    Code:
    From MAILER-DAEMON Sat Nov  3 15:07:59 2012
    (without a ":" after the "from". Deleting emails involves writing a copy
    of the whole file without the deleted post - so instead they are marked
    as deleted, and the action is postponed. If instead it aborts, there is
    no real delete (but the delete mark might stay: this happens with
    thunderbird sometimes).

    However, I have never caught alpine at the act.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  6. #6
    josephkk NNTP User

    Default Re: Can't delete system mail

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 01:26:01 GMT, DiskCrasher
    <DiskCrasher@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    >Got a weird one here. My account receives system mail from Nagios and I
    >can read it using "mail" at a shell prompt. I can also delete it all
    >using "delete *" command. The problem is when I exit the mail app and
    >launch it again, all the messages are still there. If I type "delete *"
    >twice the second attempt results in the following message: "No
    >applicable messages."
    >
    >Why are these e-mails coming back? Is there a commit I have to perform
    >after the delete or something?


    wild a** first cut, the two mail clients interfere with each other. Use
    just one.

    ?-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •