Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel Modules: <not available>

Default Kernel Modules: <not available>

Kernel Modules: <not available>
    Could not find map /boot/System.map, please specify a correct file with -M.
    There was an error generating the initrd (9)

I'm scared to reboot my laptop. Is there anything I can try to repair?

Code:
    The following package is going to be upgraded:
      kernel-desktop 

1 package to upgrade.
    Overall download size: 40.4 MiB. After the operation, additional 3.2 KiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/?] (y): y
    Retrieving package kernel-desktop-3.6.6-1.1.x86_64        (1/1),  40.4 MiB (153.7 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: kernel-desktop-3.6.6-1.1.x86_64.rpm ...........................[done (609.8 KiB/s)]
    Installing: kernel-desktop-3.6.6-1.1 ....................................................[done]
    Additional rpm output:

Kernel image:   /boot/vmlinuz-3.6.6-1-desktop
    Initrd image:   /boot/initrd-3.6.6-1-desktop

Default Re: Kernel Modules: <not available>

Forgot to add that I have a System.map-3.6.6-1-desktop file in my /boot folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Static2k View Post
    Forgot to add that I have a System.map-3.6.6-1-desktop file in my /boot folder.
    And you forgot to add what version of openSUSE you are using.
    And you forgot to add when/where you get this.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Kernel Modules: <not available>

As long as you have more than one kernel, just don't select the newest one. In openSUSE 12.2, select the advanced menu and pick any other installed kernels version that you got. Further, you can get kernel 3.6.6 source file from here: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...-3.6.6.tar.bz2 and then compile it using this: S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.78 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums and if we can assume there is nothing wrong with your ability to create the right initrd, you should get the right map file that you seek.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    As long as you have more than one kernel, just don't select the newest one. In openSUSE 12.2, select the advanced menu and pick any other installed kernels version that you got. Further, you can get kernel 3.6.6 source file from here: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...-3.6.6.tar.bz2 and then compile it using this: S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.78 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums and if we can assume there is nothing wrong with your ability to create the right initrd, you should get the right map file that you seek.

Thank You,
    Thanks, I don't have more than 1 kernel I disabled having multiples =/. Can I still proceed to the automated compiler?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Kernel Modules: <not available>

Thanks, I don't have more than 1 kernel I disabled having multiples =/. Can I still proceed to the automated compiler?
    Yes, you can compile and install a new kernel using SAKC and it does not mess with any kernels installed using YaST. I would surely give SAKC a try and then Grub 2 should have more than one kernel to select from. You could also install my Grub 2 utility before you try to reboot to actually look at your grub 2 menu:

GNU Grub2 Command Help/Config Editor - Version: 1.85 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

You can also use FastBoot to see what kernel version you have installed without electing to reboot:

FastBoot for Grub 2 or Grub Legacy Menu using Kexec - Version 2.13 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Code:
    Did you update mkinitrd from Kernel:stable? It does not work on 12.2 and below due to changed path to /sbin/get_kernel_version. As workaround use "ln -s /sbin/get_kernel_version /usr/bin"

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Did you update mkinitrd from Kernel:stable? It does not work on 12.2 and below due to changed path to /sbin/get_kernel_version. As workaround use "ln -s /sbin/get_kernel_version /usr/bin"
    Yes =/. Why is mkinitrd released on a stable repository if it does not work?

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 08:56:01 GMT Static2k wrote:

> Yes =/. Why is mkinitrd released on a stable repository if it does not
    > work?

From my past experience for i686 the only stable thing is the name of
    the repo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast