Thread: Help me with terminal commands to migrate over OpenSuse from Debian

Default Help me with terminal commands to migrate over OpenSuse from Debian

Hello guys. So far, so good with the Debian and debian based distributions for me. I was thinking to install opensuse and later centos or arch , but I need some help with the terminal commands. Could somebody give me the same commands for opensuse which I will type below:

When there is no such program in my software center I always search for it in the web and when I download the .deb file I always open the termina->navigate to the location on that .deb file and do this: sudo dpkg -i skype.deb
    sudo apt-get -f install
    and if needed it will ask me some question and I always pressing y.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The firewall. To obtain root privileges I ran that: sudo -s or sudo -i , then to check the firewall status I ran that: ufw status
    ufw enable
    (if it's disabled).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To clean the cache and unused files from my computer I always ran that: [b] sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get clean
    Is this simple commads gonna be the same ? : date , cal , df , mv , dir , ls , free , cp , rm , mkdir

To copy many .html files I ran that:
    cp -u *.html <destination> (remove < > )
    Is the /etc/fstab location same in OpenSuse, so I will be able to turn on the TRIM on my ssd ?
    To edit some text file I ran that: sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    To install the SSH+server I ran that: sudo apt-get intall openssh-server

This are the most used things over all Debian and Debian based distributions and I never had courage neither knowledge to switch from these distributions. So I'm beggin you to help me.

Default Re: Help me with terminal commands to migrate over OpenSuse from Debian

Quote Originally Posted by ronsayers View Post
    When there is no such program in my software center I always search for it in the web and when I download the .deb file I always open the termina->navigate to the location on that .deb file and do this: sudo dpkg -i skype.deb
    sudo apt-get -f install
    and if needed it will ask me some question and I always pressing y.
    Code:
    sudo zypper install skype.rpm
    Main box: OpenSuse 12.3)/KDE 4.10 64bit
    Older Box: OpenSuse 12.2/KDE 4.8.5 64bit (my mediabox)
    Laptop: Debian Wheezy/KDE 4.8.4 64bit

dd NNTP User

Default Re: Help me with terminal commands to migrate over OpenSuse fromDebian

On 11/06/2012 04:06 PM, Nikos78 wrote:
    > sudo zypper install skype.rpm

do NOT use sudo with zypper!
    instead, change to root with

su -

and, then run zypper

--
    dd

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos78 View Post
    Code:
    sudo zypper install skype.rpm
    Efharisto poli file !

Quote Originally Posted by dd
    do NOT use sudo with zypper!
    instead, change to root with

su -

and, then run zypper

--
    dd

Thank you dd, I owe you !
    -------------------------------------------------------------

There was many sub forums and wasn't able to see where to post my request for help. I just want to find which linux distribution will fit my needs as website developer and hosting one little website. Instead contacting the OpenSuse developers with my n00b's questions I
    preferred to ask in the forum where most Americans and those from Britan will be glad to help. One thing that I've learnt/learn over the years is that "If you got a question ask Americans or the British people, they will not reject to help you ". Instead being rude cu*t you can share your knowledge with me.

Greetings from island Cyprus

Blog Entries

Hey ronsayers: glad you came here. It's good to have an infusion of Deb blood.

The firewall is very GUI, have a look at Yast--> Security & Users --> Firewall.
    Also check these out: SuSEfirewall2 start, SuSEfirewall2 stop, SuSEfirewall2 status. Execute the commands as root e.g. run su first then the command/s or run the commands like this:
    Code:
     su -c 'SuSEfirewall2 start'
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

Oh, and have a look in the location /etc for fstab. It's a standard Linux location.

Check this out for the "sudo gedit" type of thing:
    Code:
    gnomesu gedit /etc/fstab

Blog Entries

And finally. I'm going to move this thread to the forum Applications (so NNTP users be advised).

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    And finally. I'm going to move this thread to the forum Applications (so NNTP users be advised).
    Thank you swerdna, love you man !

josephkk NNTP User

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 20:46:01 GMT, ronsayers
    <ronsayers@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    >swerdna;2501724 Wrote:
    >> And finally. I'm going to move this thread to the forum Applications (so
    >> NNTP users be advised).

>
    >Thank you swerdna, love you man !

OK it has shown up and from nntp land i have insufficient context.

?-)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help me with terminal commands to migrate over OpenSuse fromDebian

On 11/12/2012 08:19 AM, josephkk wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 20:46:01 GMT, ronsayers
    > <ronsayers@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> swerdna;2501724 Wrote:
    >>> And finally. I'm going to move this thread to the forum Applications (so
    >>> NNTP users be advised).

>>
    >> Thank you swerdna, love you man !

>
    > OK it has shown up and from nntp land i have insufficient context.
    >
    > ?-)
    >

Best to view with your browser for full context, penalty of
    not-so-parallel technologies

--
    Regards
    swerdna