Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I really really hate packagekitd

Default I really really hate packagekitd

Literally 9 times out of ten that I want to install something I cannot because packagekitd is locked. In close to 15 years of using Linux, no other distribution has ever constantly prevented me from installing software so often! Command line or GUI, makes no difference... Kill the daemon and you have a few moments to do something or it restarts

How often does packagekitd really need to lock?

So a) can I safely disable packagekitd and if so how?
    Better still, b) can I have packagekitd only do anything, say once every 12 hours?

Just to make sure that I am not being grumpy about this!

Blog Entries

Default Re: I really really hate packagekitd

On 11/01/2012 07:16 PM, solanum wrote:
    >
    > Literally 9 times out of ten that I want to install something I cannot
    > because packagekitd is locked. In close to 15 years of using Linux, no
    > other distribution has ever constantly prevented me from installing
    > software so often! Command line or GUI, makes no difference... Kill the
    > daemon and you have a few moments to do something or it restarts
    >
    > How often does packagekitd really need to lock?
    >
    > So a) can I safely disable packagekitd and if so how?
    > Better still, b) can I have packagekitd only do anything, say once
    > every 12 hours?
    >
    > Just to make sure that I am not being grumpy about this!
    >
    >

I uninstalled my system-tray updater applet. No communication after that.

--
    Regards
    swerdna

I do not know about the quality of the searching functionality on these forums, but it should have given you more then one thread where people advise to uninstall Apper (and some even uninstalled PackageKit completely).
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by solanum View Post
    Literally 9 times out of ten that I want to install something I cannot because packagekitd is locked. In close to 15 years of using Linux, no other distribution has ever constantly prevented me from installing software so often! Command line or GUI, makes no difference... Kill the daemon and you have a few moments to do something or it restarts

Better still, b) can I have packagekitd only do anything, say once every 12 hours?

Just to make sure that I am not being grumpy about this!
    Well you got answer on whether you can uninstall or not the packagekit. But i really wanted to replay on your thread just to troll a little bit .
    You know what i hate even more then packagekit? When you trying to do something with zypper and it tells you that it can't do it because of packagekit. And then zypper asks you if like to kill p-kit to go on with your command, and you saying "YES, please kill that packagekit" and it doesn't!!!!! But instead zypper keeps asking you all the same question until you say "NO" and then zypper throws message at you that operation was stopped on users behalf!!! GRRRRR. Why ask me to kill packagekit if you can't kill it???... ok i stop trolling now.
    Obviously usually for me it is a moment that i go "oh yeah, let's remove that kit all together", but it irritates me nevertheless. And even though i do remove packagekit, as many others do, i do think that it should not be removed. I'm running openSUSE on my laptop (desktop) so i do want to be reminded about security updates without me have to open console once a week and run zypper up, or add cron job or any script or subscribe to mailing lists, or anything of this kind. Just a notification in my systray, press - install updates - done, please go on with your daily work.
    Ok enough of trolling...

Quote Originally Posted by mkudro View Post
    Well you got answer on whether you can uninstall or not the packagekit. But i really wanted to replay on your thread just to troll a little bit .
    You know what i hate even more then packagekit? When you trying to do something with zypper and it tells you that it can't do it because of packagekit. And then zypper asks you if like to kill p-kit to go on with your command, and you saying "YES, please kill that packagekit" and it doesn't!!!!! But instead zypper keeps asking you all the same question until you say "NO" and then zypper throws message at you that operation was stopped on users behalf!!! GRRRRR. Why ask me to kill packagekit if you can't kill it???... ok i stop trolling now.
    Obviously usually for me it is a moment that i go "oh yeah, let's remove that kit all together", but it irritates me nevertheless. And even though i do remove packagekit, as many others do, i do think that it should not be removed. I'm running openSUSE on my laptop (desktop) so i do want to be reminded about security updates without me have to open console once a week and run zypper up, or add cron job or any script or subscribe to mailing lists, or anything of this kind. Just a notification in my systray, press - install updates - done, please go on with your daily work.
    Ok enough of trolling...
    yes, well that is exactly what I am referring too. Your peeves are precisely mine, no way is that a troll.

As to the other answers, thanks, but I am not an idiot I am aware I can uninstall it. I was wondering about disabling it without uninstall (ie temporarily), obviously I wasn't clear enough.

Secondly, my stated preferred option is to have packagekitd do it's thing less often. Surely there is a configuration file somewhere that I haven't found?

Quote Originally Posted by solanum View Post
    Literally 9 times out of ten that I want to install something I cannot because packagekitd is locked. ...
    What DE are you using? Check in its settings and set it never to notify about updates.

Probably - search for other threads and read about that.

What DE are you using? Check in its settings and set it.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not know about the quality of the searching functionality on these forums, but it should have given you more then one thread where people advise to uninstall Apper (and some even uninstalled PackageKit completely).
    Some even use the provided settings to achieve the result.

Quote Originally Posted by mkudro View Post
    ...even though i do remove packagekit, as many others do, i do think that it should not be removed. I'm running openSUSE on my laptop (desktop) so i do want to be reminded about security updates without me have to open console once a week and run zypper up, or add cron job or any script or subscribe to mailing lists, or anything of this kind. Just a notification in my systray, press - install updates - done, please go on with your daily work.
    Pointless rant, if you don't say which DE and which openSUSE release? Just bite the bullet and tell us...

On 2012-11-01 12:26, solanum wrote:
    > Secondly, my stated preferred option is to have packagekitd do it's
    > thing less often. Surely there is a configuration file somewhere that I
    > haven't found?

If you use KDE, yes, there is a configuration click.

Temporarily, you can simply rename the application that pops the applet.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Blog Entries

I set "apper" to not automatically start (in KDE). That's at "Configure Desktop" ..> "Startup and Shutdown" --> "Service Manager"

That avoids the lockout problem. But it does mean that I have to occasionally do a manual check for updates.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast