Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I really really hate packagekitd

Default Re: I really really hate packagekitd

Am 02.11.2012 12:36, schrieb solanum:
    > Is there anything else other than apper that could be polling
    > packagekitd?
    >

Not absolutely sure, but in 12.1 when I disabled the session daemon for
    apper I never received a lock from packagekitd.
    I guess we need something like that (for zypper/yast)
    http://kparal.wordpress.com/2012/10/...th-packagekit/

--
    PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.5 | GeForce GT 420
    ThinkPad E320: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.9.2 | HD 3000
    eCAFE 800: oS 11.4 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | lamp server

On 2012-11-02 12:36, solanum wrote:

> Sorry, got it! That is seriously well hidden. However, it was already
    > set to daily and packagekitd is blocking nearly all the time, so there
    > is obviously some problem....

It is said that this behavior happens only the first time.

Normally, you'd do well to wait, because what it does is refresh the
    databases with current repository data; if you kill it and start zypper,
    zypper will have to do the same refresh operation. If you wait, then
    zypper skips the refresh because apper did it already.

Of course, if you have many repos active, it will take a very long time
    to refresh.

> Is there anything else other than apper that could be polling
    > packagekitd?

Not to my knowledge.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    This seems to be almost correct.

I have seen it happen a second time. I think that was after an update to apper itself.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2012-11-02 12:36, solanum wrote:

> Sorry, got it! That is seriously well hidden. However, it was already
    > set to daily and packagekitd is blocking nearly all the time, so there
    > is obviously some problem....

Blocking happens due to the lock on libzypp, so it can happen anytime with any combination of: Apper/PackageKit>lbzypp, YaST>libzypp, and zypper>libzypp

On 12.2 the first time is a job/process that is rumoured to take a very long time to finish or just doesn't end - I didn't wait longer than maybe 2-3 minutes before a reboot. I may have used YaST before then running apper, but don't recall exactly. Then apper ran properly and has continued to do so up to and including today. Once its updates are finished, YaST and zypper run unencumbered. It never happened a second time here.

Another user recently posted that on the first run apper blocked, the process was killed (PackageKit?), and IIRC after a zypper up, apper worked correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Blocking happens due to the lock on libzypp, so it can happen anytime with any combination of: Apper/PackageKit>lbzypp, YaST>libzypp, and zypper>libzypp

On 12.2 the first time is a job/process that is rumoured to take a very long time to finish or just doesn't end - I didn't wait longer than maybe 2-3 minutes before a reboot. I may have used YaST before then running apper, but don't recall exactly. Then apper ran properly and has continued to do so up to and including today. Once its updates are finished, YaST and zypper run unencumbered. It never happened a second time here.

Another user recently posted that on the first run apper blocked, the process was killed (PackageKit?), and IIRC after a zypper up, apper worked correctly.
    I find that (presumably) apper calls packagekitd on logging in and it takes 10 minutes or so to update the repositories and do its thing. After that it will unlock. But if I try and install something at a 'random' time after that (I tend to leave my machine on all the time), there is >50% chance that packagekitd is locking again. I assumed that is because it is updating, say every hour and taking a long time to do its thing. But as it is set to daily, there must be some other reason why it is often locked (and takes many minutes to free itself - I don't usually try and kill it, I usually just give up and try again next time I remember!).

If other people are reporting that it can lock 'indefinitely' on occasion, I'm guessing that sometimes it has problems and takes a very very long time to do its thing.

So, why does it take ten minutes or so to update the repositories, when zypper up takes about 20 seconds? And why does it apparently sit for a very very long time quite often?

I suspect that despite my 'good' intentions in regard to just disabling it I might just remove apper and update manually.... It is a shame, because I have never come across an update applet with such problems in any other distribution I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by solanum View Post
    If other people are reporting that it can lock 'indefinitely' on occasion, I'm guessing that sometimes it has problems and takes a very very long time to do its thing.

So, why does it take ten minutes or so to update the repositories, when zypper up takes about 20 seconds? And why does it apparently sit for a very very long time quite often?

I suspect that despite my 'good' intentions in regard to just disabling it I might just remove apper and update manually.... It is a shame, because I have never come across an update applet with such problems in any other distribution I've used.
    I have seven repos enabled. I haven't timed the update periods, but they obviously vary with the number of updates and one's broadband speed, etc. I would not be surprized if most here were under five minutes. It's remarkably similar in that respect to the Gnome2 update applet on 11.4 (been totally reliable for a long time).

I don't pay much attention when I first login at startup, as I am waiting for the KDE sound and network icons to appear. Once I hear the opening DE sound, I usually get on the browser and do stuff. If apper's icon appears I may do the updates then or later, usually asap. Because its running right now on my testing partition, I'm using apper for all the updates to give it max use.

If apper wasn't good enough I would be using YaST: YOU for openSUSE stuff and SM by repo for packman etc. I rarely use zypper up. Here, apper is plenty good enough and very convenient -- lazy even. Yes, the settings are somewhat hidden with a small icon. Mine are set for Daily; for Automatically install: None; with just the last two check boxes ticked. I think those are the default settings.

In any case YaST is openSUSE's leading package management tool, plus zypper of course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by solanum View Post
    It's not really indefinite. It seems to take perhaps an hour.

It appears to be building an inventory of the repos, including the install DVD. And it appears to be doing it quite slowly, perhaps to avoid putting much load on the system. But that's what make it annoying, if you are wanting to install some software.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123