Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Crossover question (kobo desktop ereader)

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Crossover question (kobo desktop ereader)

    On 2012-11-01 04:56, farcusnz wrote:
    >
    > if it were me I'd ditch the kobo software and use Calibre.
    > It's excellent software and has full support for Kobo ereaders - even
    > has the ability to purchase from the Kobo store.
    > Don't use the version in the Opensuse repo though as it is pretty old
    > and has some problems with KDE 4.9
    > Download the binary installer from the Calibre website.


    I have and use calibre, but not for shopping books from kobo. I simply
    choose the book, pay, and then try to sync via wifi. If this does not
    work, boot Windows and do it. That's the supported method.

    I would not know how to do it with calibre, starting on how to download
    the book separately.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,567

    Default Re: Crossover question (kobo desktop ereader)

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2012-11-01 04:56, farcusnz wrote:
    >
    > if it were me I'd ditch the kobo software and use Calibre.
    > It's excellent software and has full support for Kobo ereaders - even
    > has the ability to purchase from the Kobo store.
    > Don't use the version in the Opensuse repo though as it is pretty old
    > and has some problems with KDE 4.9
    > Download the binary installer from the Calibre website.


    I have and use calibre, but not for shopping books from kobo. I simply
    choose the book, pay, and then try to sync via wifi. If this does not
    work, boot Windows and do it. That's the supported method.

    I would not know how to do it with calibre, starting on how to download
    the book separately.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))
    I don't own a kobo device so I'm not entirely sure but I think it would go something like . . .

    In Calibre select "Get Books" > and choose which store you want to shop from (being the Kobo store)
    Search your book. Once found double click and it will load your web browser where you can complete the purchase.
    Then sync your Kobo via wifi to get the newly purchased book on the device.

    Or you could download the book and import it into calibre and then feed it to the Kobo using the Calibre content server. (or USB connection)
    I guess there may be issues with DRM content though - not something I have yet had a problem with in Kindle as I can use Calibre to sync via a kindle email address.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Crossover question (kobo desktop ereader)

    On 2012-11-01 16:16, farcusnz wrote:

    > I don't own a kobo device so I'm not entirely sure but I think it would
    > go something like . . .
    >
    > In Calibre select "Get Books" > and choose which store you want to shop
    > from (being the Kobo store)
    > Search your book. Once found double click and it will load your web
    > browser where you can complete the purchase.
    > Then sync your Kobo via wifi to get the newly purchased book on the
    > device.


    Wifi in the kobo is very flaky, I can often not complete syncs via wifi.

    > Or you could download the book and import it into calibre and then feed
    > it to the Kobo using the Calibre content server. (or USB connection)


    Download the book is the first problem, because I have never seen a link
    to do that. You buy the book, then you are told to sync.

    > I guess there may be issues with DRM content though - not something I
    > have yet had a problem with in Kindle as I can use Calibre to sync via a
    > kindle email address.


    And that is another issue.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,567

    Default Re: Crossover question (kobo desktop ereader)

    yes, I see what you mean about the Kobo store not letting you download (although what I see may be different to you as I am forced to the regional Japanese Kobo store).

    Getting completely off topic from your original question . . .
    but another option for you to avoid having to use Windows or emulators would be to install the ALF plugin into Calibre.
    Then you would be able to purchase ebooks from any store and use claibre to convert them to epub before loading them onto your Kobo.
    Basically the ALF plugin strips DRM protection when you import into Calibre which will allow you to convert to other formats and also read within calibre.
    I'm not sure how you feel about that, but personally I have no problem with it because it is not as if I am stealing the book - I'm just trying to get it into a state where I can read it on my device. :-)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Crossover question (kobo desktop ereader)

    On 2012-11-05 05:06, farcusnz wrote:

    > I'm not sure how you feel about that, but personally I have no problem
    > with it because it is not as if I am stealing the book - I'm just trying
    > to get it into a state where I can read it on my device. :-)


    That's something I might do in time; I'd like to make backups of the
    books I buy somewhere. But having to use Windows to load the books is
    not for me a "religious like" issue: if I have to use Windows, I do. It
    is not the only gadget I have that needs Windows (TomTom navigator,
    Nokia mobile phone...).

    For the moment, I prefer to buy books from the kobo store because this
    way they stay in business. I'd love to get more, like a supported Linux
    app, but I can live without it.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,567

    Default Re: Crossover question (kobo desktop ereader)

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    For the moment, I prefer to buy books from the kobo store because this
    way they stay in business.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    Kobo are now owned by Rakuten - a monolithic Japanese company who appear to be throwing a lot of money at Kobo to improve its representation in the ebook market.
    They have very very deep pockets.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Crossover question (kobo desktop ereader)

    On 2012-11-05 17:46, farcusnz wrote:

    > They have very very deep pockets.


    So had Lucent Technologies, and they had to fire more than two third of
    us, world wide, and were bought by Alcatel cheap.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,211
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Crossover question (kobo desktop ereader)

    On Mon 05 Nov 2012 07:09:09 PM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    On 2012-11-05 17:46, farcusnz wrote:

    > They have very very deep pockets.


    So had Lucent Technologies, and they had to fire more than two third of
    us, world wide, and were bought by Alcatel cheap.

    Small world, I worked for Standard Telephones and Cables (STC) who were
    merged with Alcatel... in total worked for them for 21 years..... first
    in telephone and PABX manufacture, then Submarine Cables, then telco
    infrastructure, rounding off with network management and support....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
    up 7 days 19:59, 4 users, load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.05
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU


  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Crossover question (kobo desktop ereader)

    On 2012-11-01 02:55, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > On 2012-11-01 01:13, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    >> On 2012-11-01 01:06, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    >>
    >>> But no difference. :-/

    >>
    >> Got it!

    >
    > Well, not quite. The application runs alright, but fails to sync. No
    > use. :-(
    >
    > Still need Windows :-(


    I asked the crossover guys after registering.

    First they misunderstood and asked me to post my "solution" somewhere,

    here
    , which I did not understand what exactly they meant. In the
    forum?

    So I had to tell them that, and that anyway the app is useless if it can
    not sync. I then got this answer:

    “Oh I see, I thought following your walkthrough the program worked
    correctly in Crossover. I'm attaching our unsupported app faq which has
    more tips and resources that might help get your application working
    further under Crossover. You also try posting on winehq.org's app
    database for this program about the error you're seeing and maybe a
    developer there can investigate further. Unfortunately because it's not
    an application we support our developers wouldn't look at it. But
    Crossover is based on Wine so if it gets fixed in Wine it'll also be
    fixed in Crossover.”

    The FAQ I did not found attached. And about posting at winehq I have to
    find out where exactly.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •