Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mate and Cinnamon options on the install media

Default Mate and Cinnamon options on the install media

One of the strongest points of openSUSE was and it still remains the desktop "agnosticity";yes I'm aware that it defaults to KDE but you can install any DE from the installer selection screen,and you can see that openSUSE pays the same attention to every DE,so my question is why openSUSE won't put Mate and Cinnamon as options on the install media(given the popularity of these DE's)?I would bet that there would be more users then say Xfce or Lxde!It would surely expand the user base of our beloved distro!Cheers!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mate and Cinnamon options on the install media

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:06:01 +0000, Marius Timu wrote:

> One of the strongest points of openSUSE was and it still remains the
    > desktop "agnosticity";yes I'm aware that it defaults to KDE but you can
    > install any DE from the installer selection screen,and you can see that
    > openSUSE pays the same attention to every DE,so my question is why
    > openSUSE won't put Mate and Cinnamon as options on the install
    > media(given the popularity of these DE's)?I would bet that there would
    > be more users then say Xfce or Lxde!It would surely expand the user base
    > of our beloved distro!Cheers!
    Hi
    Supportability and maintenance (only one maintainer AFAIK) spring to
    mind, DVD space without going to DL. It's available just like KDE3 via
    adding a repository.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
    up 2 days 14:12, 4 users, load average: 0.28, 0.33, 0.22
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

I thought so,to bad,imagine how cool would be,because when you think about it,those DE's(Cinnamon & Mate)are easier to use then LXDE and XFCE for windows newcomers;to have Cinnamon & Mate right from the start when installing would really make a big difference!Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Marius_Timu View Post
    I thought so,to bad,imagine how cool would be,because when you think about it,those DE's(Cinnamon & Mate)are easier to use then LXDE and XFCE for windows newcomers;to have Cinnamon & Mate right from the start when installing would really make a big difference!Thanks for the reply!
    If you want a system which comes with Cinnamon or Mate out of the box, you might give Linux Mint a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius_Timu View Post
    Hi,

I maintain the X11:MATE and X11:Cinnamon repositories (and their respective childs); I'm also a part of MATE upstream, and I'm currently working on bringing MATE 1.5 to public; I'm just waiting for 3 packages to make it happen, mate-media, mate-mime and mate-system-monitor.

The Moniz Project was created to provide a re-spin of openSUSE with MATE as default Desktop for x86_64 and i386; If it can't happen within project, then it happens somewhere else, unless openSUSE decides to revoke my account in OBS. Either way the webpage is being finished, and the support resources (JIRA and Confluence) are being prepared. Moniz will be officially live with openSUSE 12.2 (rebased) and MATE 1.6.

And if openSUSE wants me to maintain MATE within openSUSE and add it to their distribution, all they need to do is ping me... everything is set on my side... and if they want someone else to do it, my packages are in OBS for anyone to use or fork/branch them... The necessary changes for MATE integration in openSUSE were pushed a few ago by me... so we're cool!

Thanks for your kind words.

NM

Quote Originally Posted by ketheriel View Post
    I maintain the X11:MATE and X11:Cinnamon repositories (and their respective childs); I'm also a part of MATE upstream, and I'm currently working on bringing MATE 1.5 to public;
    And you do a pretty good job and respond to bug reports pretty quickly.

Installed the Mate repo and desktop and it works really well so the packaging is a success. I will leave it installed for now, though it probably wont be my main env.

Wow just wow...but please don't recommend me Linux Mint for changing to Mate or Cinnamon,the reason I asked was the necessity to be able to use openSUSE with those DE's out of the box,because,you know I love openSUSE so much that I would marry it!

Nothing against Linux Mint,they do a hell of a job!

If you want openSUSE with Cinnamon as the default desktop environment, you can get OpenSUSE Cinnamon.

And big ups to ketheriel for maintaining the Cinnamon repo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast