Thread: Very basic questions even before starting to include animations in a .pdf file

Default Very basic questions even before starting to include animations in a .pdf file

Hello. I have used the programs LaTeX and LaTeX2HTML in an openSUSE-12.2, Linux operating system. Recently I got interested in the possibility of including animated .gif files in a Portable Document Format (.pdf) file produced using pdfTeX, but encountered numerous questions even before starting such a project. Based on the Web page CTAN web interface: Directory listing for /macros/latex/contrib/animate and something else I read on the Internet it appeared that using the software package texlive-animate could be a good conceivable starting point for this project. The Web page CTAN web interface: Directory listing for /macros/latex/contrib/animate lists the requirements for using the animate software package as e-TeX, pdfTeX >=1.20, Ghostscript >8.31, dvipdfmx >=20080608, and Adober Reader >=7. Within openSUSE, Downloads, Search for packages, and separately entering dvipdfmx and texlive-animate, and then clicking on the hyperlink "openSUSE 12.2" there did not result in any stable versions of either of those software packages being listed for me, unless I missed something somewhere. But after doing some more clicking on that Web page I found unstable and/or openSUSE factory versions of those packages were listed. So I presume that stable versions of the software packages texlive-animate and texlive-dvipdfmx do not yet exist on October 28, 2012.

1. Is this idea of mine correct?
    2a. If so, how does one deal with unstable openSUSE-12.2 software packages?
    2b. Is it necessary to compile any software from source code or custom-compile a Linux kernel to deal with an unstable, openSUSE-12.2 software package?
    2c. What are the risks in trying to use an unstable software package in a stable installation of openSUSE 12.2?
    2d. After performing a search somewhere within openSUSE I read that one should not mix stable and unstable repositories. Does that mean that one should not have both stable and unstable repositories listed among the repositories to be accessed within one's openSUSE-12.2 installation so that stable and unstable software packages should not be simultaneously installed in the stable, openSUSE-12.2-containing partition of one's hard-disk drive?

Default Re: Very basic questions even before starting to include animations in a .pdf file

1. probably
    2a. install them and see if they work - so far all the ones I have installed have worked OK
    2b. No
    2c. Depends
    2d. No; in general unstable LaTeX packages will work alongside stable packages - the only thing is that they sometimes have requirements which are not part of TeXLive and there are some documented conflicts between packages; in any case, if they crash, in LaTeX you normally get useful information on what has gone wrong.

Default Re: Very basic questions even before starting to include animations in a .pdf file

Thanks, Mr. John Hudson, for kindly taking the time to write some things here and to explain especially point 2d to me.