Firefox MIssing "Tabs on Top" setting after 12.2 new installation

Just did a new install of 12.2 and a user account that existed before the new installation in firefox -> view - Toolbars -> no longer has the check box “Tabs on Top” showing up anymore. Created a user new user account and that account in firefox -> view -> Toolbars -> has the “Tabs on Top” option.

I am assuming it is a configuration file with the account that existed before the new installation if 12.2, but I am not able to find which file controls that setting.

Any ideas?

Thanks…

I’m not quite sure here.

The option still shows for me.

I recently installed firefox on a Windows box, and the option did not show there.

I think the situation is this:

If firefox is currently set to tabs-on-top, then the option does not show.
If firefox is currently not set to tabs-on-top, then the option does show.

It looks to me as if the mozilla team is strongly preferring tabs-on-top. So, if you have that, there is no option to turn it off. But if you do not have it, there is an option to turn it on.

On the Windows box with a new install, firefox did start with tabs-on-top, which I don’t happen to like.

I was able to browse to “about:config” and find the option line “browser.tabs.onTop”. Toggling that set things the way that I wanted them.

For a new opensuse install, some of the initial settings probably come from the opensuse folk rather than from mozilla, so presumably they defaulted the setting to “false”.

This is not a new install on a windows box. The linux account before the new install had the tabs on tops option and was set for that. Now after the new install the tabs are not on tap and the options does not exist.

I am not sure about you statement, you browsed the “about:config”. The do not find that file even under the user account that has the option showing on the same PC the new install took place on.

I am not sure about you statement, you browsed the “about:config”. The do not find that file even under the user account that has the option showing on the same PC the new install took place on.

It’s not a file. Open a new tab and enter ‘about:config’

How do I put tabs back on bottom like they used to be? | Firefox Help

It the ‘browser.tabs.onTop’ preference is missing, it is easy to add.

Yes, I was aware of that.

I was only trying to illustrate why I think this is due to a change at mozilla, rather than a change at opensuse.

Sorry for any confusion. I just meant to enter that in the browser address entry as if a url to which you would browse. There are lots of additional configuration options there.

aaahhhhh… got it. and thank you to both that replied. I took a look at the about:config and the link to he Mozilla site and checked out the video that talks about the reasons in version four the tabs are placed on top, which made sense.

once again thank you both for the replies and assistance.

No worries. I am little thick tonight, but I am all set now.

Thanks again for the reply.

In Firefox, if you prefer to use menus to navigate, install the ViewAbout add-in (current version 2.0.1)

It adds a submenu under the View menu, easy access to all the config files