KMail Organization

I want to set up Kontact and Kmail on this new computer build to handle about 9 email accounts and several disorganized contact lists. In other words, I am trying to get it all in one place for the first time ever. I just don’t know exactly how to organize it. How do identities work? Can I display just one account’s folders at a time so the replies don’t go from the wrong account?

In the past, I have just set up one in Kmail account and accessed the others online. I have separate email accounts (and contact lists) for family, my online identity (TwoHoot), two different websites I administer, online bill payments, online shopping orders and confirmations, legal matters, etc. How is an efficient way to see all this in one place without mixing it all up into one big mess?

I am sure others have the same problem and have solutions that work for them. Would some of you be willing to share how you do this? Can it be done?

Cordially,
TwoHoot

How do identities work?

Nicely answered in this old thread.

You might find the answers to your other questions here.

FWIW, I use Thunderbird (+DavMail for MS Exchange connectivity) at work, and until recently, had two concurrent accounts configured. I haven’t used kmail for over three years now.

Hi,

I started using Kontact after summer holidays. I have 6 accounts, 4 identities (my identity for 3 work accounts is the same), use Google calendar. Another thing to mentiion is that these accounts are all IMAP. I do see some odd behaviour, but it’s too early for me to say whether they are bugs/flaws, or my mistakes. Basically I did what you did: put in one identity, one account, import some contacts and see what happens. Things I want for example is that each account uses it’s proper smtp server. It took some time to get there, but it works. Also follow the links deano_ferrari posted.

Thank you both for the prompt reply. There is something amazing about an old geezer in Texas getting help from people in the Netherlands and New Zealand overnight and for free. Can we be more geographically dispersed and still live on the same planet? I want to be a useful part of this.

Unless some one comes up with a link to a “How-To” file, this looks like one of those things someone will have to muddle through until it works. I am willing to do that and keep notes. Since you are both Global Moderators, is it appropriate to post questions and progress here as I go along?

Cordially,
TwoHoot

I am willing to do that and keep notes. Since you are both Global Moderators, is it appropriate to post questions and progress here as I go along?

Of course, and it may be beneficial to others too.

Here is what I have come up with so far. If there are errors or omissions, please let me know. This is my first attempt at providing instructions on the forum. Usually, I get them.

Organizing Kmail

Kmail 4.8.5 Release 2 handles multiple email accounts efficiently. The instructions for setting them up are straightforward. Incoming email from multiple accounts goes to a single “inbox” and all sent mail goes to a single “sent-mail” folder by default. This is very confusing

To organize Kmail so each account has its own “inbox”:

1. Create a new folder under “inbox” for each email account. Use descriptive names for each account.
  2. Settings → Configure Kmail → Accounts and select the receiving account you want to redirect. Click “Modify”
  3. Click on the Advanced Tab
  4. Select the new folder you created for this particular account from the drop down tree (The defaullt is just “inbox”) or type it in.
  5. Click “OK” and close Configure Kmail. Incoming mail will now go to the folder you created instead of the general “inbox”.

At this point, one would intuitively think sent mail could be redirected using the Sending tab in Configure Kmail. That is not the case.

To organize Kmail so each account has its own “sent-mail” folder:

1. Create a new folder under “sent-mail” for each email account. Use descriptive names for each account.
  2. Settings → Configure Kmail → Identity → Add and create an identity for the email account. Use a descriptive name.
  3. Select the new identity and Click “Modify”
  4. Select the new folder you created for this particular account from the drop down tree (the default is “sent-mail”) or type it in. (You can also create separate folders for drafts and templates here if you want)
  5. Click “OK” and close Configure Kmail. Outgoing mail will now go to the folder you created instead of the general “sent-mail”.

Notes:

1. THIS IS IMPORTNT! Having multiple accounts adds a couple of lines to the new email form. Be sure to select the correct “Identity” and “From” when sending mail. THIS IS IMPORTANT!
  2. I have two email accounts at Verizon.net. If one of them is set to the default email account, then the other one doesn’t work. I think this is a problem peculiar to the email server provider and not Kmail. They set it up so each customer (they are my ISP) has one email account and multiple sub-accounts. Everything works fine as long as one the Verizon accounts is not the default account in Kmail. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I have could clarify this issue.
  3. While setting things up, it might be wise to leave email on pop servers instead of deleting it on download. This is an option on the Receiving setup Advanced tab. That way you won’t lose messages if you make a mistake setting up Kmail. When things are working smoothly, you can always go back and change the setting.

Cordially,
TwoHoot

Well done with the kmail guide - very clear instructions! (I’ll let others more familiar with kmail comment on the info, and any changes required.)

Just want to add my thanks, worked perfectly for me, and would be good to include this in the manual.