Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Driver on 12.2 slow. On 11.2 it is fast.

Default NVIDIA Driver on 12.2 slow. On 11.2 it is fast.

Hi,

I've installed Opensuse 12.2 (32 bit) on the same machine where I have already have an Opensuse 11.2 (32 bit) installation.

I installed the NVIDIA the driver from the repository source: ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/12.2/

Driver details:
    x11-video-nvidiaG02 - NVIDIA graphics driver for GeForce 6xxx and newer GPUs
    Version: 304.43-20.1

My Graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6200 SE Turbo Cache.

The driver appears to work, but it is very slow if tested with the program glxgears (gives about 60 FPS).

The NVIDIA driver I have on 11.2 is much faster (about 3000 FPS on glxgears).

For the moment, I have switched back to the NOUVEAU driver, since this gives me 300FPS on glxgears.

Googling around there are rumours the new driver has problems.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Blog Entries

Default Re: NVIDIA Driver on 12.2 slow. On 11.2 it is fast.

The NVIDIA driver I have on 11.2
    Which is that?
    You could try the same in 12.2 with a manual install
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Smile Re: NVIDIA Driver on 12.2 slow. On 11.2 it is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryrc View Post
    Hi,

I've installed Opensuse 12.2 (32 bit) on the same machine where I have already have an Opensuse 11.2 (32 bit) installation.

I installed the NVIDIA the driver from the repository source: ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/12.2/

Driver details:
    x11-video-nvidiaG02 - NVIDIA graphics driver for GeForce 6xxx and newer GPUs
    Version: 304.43-20.1

My Graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6200 SE Turbo Cache.

The driver appears to work, but it is very slow if tested with the program glxgears (gives about 60 FPS).

The NVIDIA driver I have on 11.2 is much faster (about 3000 FPS on glxgears).

For the moment, I have switched back to the NOUVEAU driver, since this gives me 300FPS on glxgears.

Googling around there are rumours the new driver has problems.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    So if you want my opinion on the subject, if the nouveau driver is working and with 3D support, I would stick with it. I have decided to use it with my GT 275 card and it works properly in every way. Consider that you can up the kernel version, to 3.6.2 if you like, where the nouveau driver is located. I am running 3.6.2 right now from kernel.org and it seems to work very fast for me. If you have not seen my bash script to load new kernel versions, have a look here:

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.78 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

AND to remove them:

S.A.K.R. - SUSE Automated Kernel Remover - Version 1.0.2 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

AND to find any released kernel version:

S.G.T.B. - SuSE Git Kernel Tarball Creator - Version 1.81 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

AND the latest kernel tarball:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...-3.6.2.tar.bz2

All for just another set of solutions that you can use. And to quickly test out your new kernel, have a look here:

FastBoot for Grub 2 or Grub Legacy Menu using Kexec - Version 2.13 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

And for doing edits of those many system files, have a look here:

SYSEdit - System File Editor - Version 1.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

I like to throw out a bunch of things against the wall to see if anything sticks.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

One of the issues you can have is an xorg-x11-server update, it replaces some stuff from the nvidia driver. Reinstall the nvidia packages and have another look at the FPS.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I wouldn't bother too much, glxgears isn't a benchmark, if it shows 60 fps it just means it's synced with your monitors refreshrate, there are some advantages with that. You can change this behavior in the settings, just open up Nvidia xserver settings, go to OpenGL settings and tick off Sync to VBlank.

I'm away for 4 days, so I can't tell you what version the NVIDIA driver on 11.2 is. I tried installing an older version by downloading it from the NVIDIA web site, but the install failed. It was not compatible with 12.2.

Quote Originally Posted by hank_se View Post
    I wouldn't bother too much, glxgears isn't a benchmark, if it shows 60 fps it just means it's synced with your monitors refreshrate, there are some advantages with that. You can change this behavior in the settings, just open up Nvidia xserver settings, go to OpenGL settings and tick off Sync to VBlank.
    I will try that when I get back home (friday). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    One of the issues you can have is an xorg-x11-server update, it replaces some stuff from the nvidia driver. Reinstall the nvidia packages and have another look at the FPS.
    Thanks. Let me see if I've understood:

Are you are saying:

- upgrade xorg-x11-server
    - unistall nvidia driver
    - reinstall nvidia driver

?

regards,
    j

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So if you want my opinion on the subject, if the nouveau driver is working and with 3D support, I would stick with it. I have decided to use it with my GT 275 card and it works properly in every way. Consider that you can up the kernel version, to 3.6.2 if you like, where the nouveau driver is located. I am running 3.6.2 right now from kernel.org and it seems to work very fast for me. If you have not seen my bash script to load new kernel versions, have a look here:

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.78 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

AND to remove them:

S.A.K.R. - SUSE Automated Kernel Remover - Version 1.0.2 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

AND to find any released kernel version:

S.G.T.B. - SuSE Git Kernel Tarball Creator - Version 1.81 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

AND the latest kernel tarball:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...-3.6.2.tar.bz2

All for just another set of solutions that you can use. And to quickly test out your new kernel, have a look here:

FastBoot for Grub 2 or Grub Legacy Menu using Kexec - Version 2.13 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

And for doing edits of those many system files, have a look here:

SYSEdit - System File Editor - Version 1.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

I like to throw out a bunch of things against the wall to see if anything sticks.

Thank You,
    Thanks, but my kernel recompiling days are over! I have time and age issues

Quote Originally Posted by jerryrc View Post
    Are you are saying:

- upgrade xorg-x11-server
    - unistall nvidia driver
    - reinstall nvidia driver
    Personally I would uninstall nvidia, update xorg, reinstall nvidia. nvidia does replace some original files so after upgrade of xorg nvidia complaints that installation is corrupted so who knows whether it will be able to really uninstall it (or what happens in this case).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast