Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am shocked about the Android World

Default I am shocked about the Android World

Well, yes i am.
    I recently bought a Motorola Atrix 4G and i did this because it was on the upgrade path for Icecream. Sadly Motorola gave us the finger so i am quite shocked that a phone capable of running Icecream doesn't deserve to get it.
    But in a broader sense it gave me the chill how Android and ultimately Google handles Android. My verdict, poorly.

Apple seems to be the only company willing to upgrade their phone for better or worse. Google on the other hand seems to have no clout in doing so. It is of course clear that manufactures and providers have the biggest say in what gets an upgrade and not, but it leads into a really messy ecosystem.
    Last time i checked Jellybean has market share of 1.8%, Icecream 23% and Gingerbread a whooping 56%. That is of to date (October 12).

Now i have a handset that is not that old and is softwarewise outdated and i ask myself how much worse Android will be getting over the years. I learned my lessons and my next phone will Nexus or i just grab an iPhone (even with their sad world control).

I am not willing to mod my phone (can't even root) since i fear i might kill my phone by trying.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Default Re: I am shocked about the Android World

Quote Originally Posted by JoergJaeger
    Well, yes i am.
    I recently bought a Motorola Atrix 4G and i did this because it was on
    the upgrade path for Icecream. Sadly Motorola gave us the finger so i am
    quite shocked that a phone capable of running Icecream doesn't deserve
    to get it.
    But in a broader sense it gave me the chill how Android and ultimately
    Google handles Android. My verdict, poorly.

Apple seems to be the only company willing to upgrade their phone for
    better or worse. Google on the other hand seems to have no clout in
    doing so. It is of course clear that manufactures and providers have the
    biggest say in what gets an upgrade and not, but it leads into a really
    messy ecosystem.
    Last time i checked Jellybean has market share of 1.8%, Icecream 23%
    and Gingerbread a whooping 56%. That is of to date (October 12).

Now i have a handset that is not that old and is softwarewise outdated
    and i ask myself how much worse Android will be getting over the years.
    I learned my lessons and my next phone will Nexus or i just grab an
    iPhone (even with their sad world control).

I am not willing to mod my phone (can't even root) since i fear i might
    kill my phone by trying.

Hi
    How is that model different for PalmTreo and Blackberry, two phones
    currently sitting in the junk box because the service provider won't
    provide updates to two functional phones... I now use a non smart phone
    and have not looked back....

Factory restore procedures will revert in most cases.... check out the
    xda forum that's where I obtained the jellybean version on the ASUS
    tablet....

Your stats above rings like Windows 8 1.8%,
    Windows 7 23% and XP a whooping 56%

iphones are easy to jailbreak from linux.... press the key combination
    and run absinthe and done...

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
    up 0:59, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.04, 0.05
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

well, got to check your suggestion and thanks for that.

On a side note, Symbian is now officially dead too. I have an E75. Didn't had any apps anyway, buts still useful for maps (offline map).
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

I have a Chinese Pioneer Android phone that can't even install google play. It has a Chinese app store, probably rooted in. This is my first Android phone, and had I known this, I probably wouldn't have bought it despite the great hardware. I can't see why I can't install the google play app without rooting the phone, which I don't know is possible. I have installed other app stores, but have found them quite limited. That's why I get my apps for free on the bitorrent network. Seems like the market actually encourages piracy sometimes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoergJaeger View Post
    I recently bought a Motorola Atrix 4G and i did this because it was on the upgrade path for Icecream. Sadly Motorola gave us the finger so i am quite shocked that a phone capable of running Icecream doesn't deserve to get it.
    But in a broader sense it gave me the chill how Android and ultimately Google handles Android. My verdict, poorly.
    Your observation about Android is IMHO also true wrt any comparisons with GNU/Linux where it is often possible to upgrade old hardware to the latest GNU/Linux version. The same is not true for Android where for many Tablets and Phones where the update (for Android) is dependent on the manufacturers. I'm not convinced thou that Apple is a good example to compare with wrt Android as I am not convinced all older Apple model phones get the latest Apple iOS for phones.

I also suspect phones (with Android) may need to be treated different from Tablets (with Android).

I note for some of the more popular Tablets, there is a big 3rd party following where even if the manufacturer does not provide an update, their can be 3rd party solutions, albeit at a risk of breaking one's Android install. Fortunately there are also typically ways to back up the older version of Android. I note this for the Asus Transformer TF-101 (original version) where there is uncertainty if it will get the latest Android, ... but already there are 3rd party approaches popping up.

But I confess I would be more inclined to take a risk with a Tablet than a Phone in adopting a 3rd party approach.

I also note some manufacturers have a better reputation than others, for providing the latest Android version on their top-of-the-line phones. For example, I think Samsung have a pretty good reputation in this regard for their most powerful (top of the line) phones. But when it comes to their less capable/less popular phones, I also think the manufacturers are less likely to want to spend money to keep updating the phone's OS, as they (the manufacturer) receive no more money for the updates - rather it is a marketing issue for other phones.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Your observation about Android is IMHO also true wrt any comparisons with GNU/Linux where it is often possible to upgrade old hardware to the latest GNU/Linux version. The same is not true for Android where for many Tablets and Phones where the update (for Android) is dependent on the manufacturers. I'm not convinced thou that Apple is a good example to compare with wrt Android as I am not convinced all older Apple model phones get the latest Apple iOS for phones.

I also suspect phones (with Android) may need to be treated different from Tablets (with Android).

I note for some of the more popular Tablets, there is a big 3rd party following where even if the manufacturer does not provide an update, their can be 3rd party solutions, albeit at a risk of breaking one's Android install. Fortunately there are also typically ways to back up the older version of Android. I note this for the Asus Transformer TF-101 (original version) where there is uncertainty if it will get the latest Android, ... but already there are 3rd party approaches popping up.

But I confess I would be more inclined to take a risk with a Tablet than a Phone in adopting a 3rd party approach.

I also note some manufacturers have a better reputation than others, for providing the latest Android version on their top-of-the-line phones. For example, I think Samsung have a pretty good reputation in this regard for their most powerful (top of the line) phones. But when it comes to their less capable/less popular phones, I also think the manufacturers are less likely to want to spend money to keep updating the phone's OS, as they (the manufacturer) receive no more money for the updates - rather it is a marketing issue for other phones.
    Thats why i am getting me a Nexus from Samsung. So far its the best you can buy and it supposed to have a very pure Android experience versus a bloated version.

As far as iPhone goes, i did read about that even the 3G versions got the update. The very first one may not be capable off running the newest version. But thats what i was reading a while ago and i have no iPhone anyway. Since i have to buy these phones, the iPhone is way out of reach for me.

A point i like to make is that observation that it seems Google is not really in charge of their own OS and more importantly, their policies. There supposed to be an agreement between manufactures and providers to support phone for at least 18 month after release of the phone. Seem to be broken.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Jörg,

check Cyanogenmod. I usually root my phone immediately and replace the stock ROM.
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Mot...l_Update_Guide

Uwe

Blog Entries

Considerations wrt the updating of Android, are what currently has me puzzling over the next phone I purchase. I have decided that I want a dual sim smart phone that is running Android 4.x. Having a 'Dual Sim' is absolutely essential. There are MANY better phones that do not have Dual Sim, but to emphasize, Dual Sim is 100% essential for my requirements. I have surfed a bit on this, and have narrowed this down to 3 phones:

• HTC Desire V - (difficult to find a good price in Germany .... I note cost ~340-euros @ one German supplier, although I have read the price on this phone should have dropped now to levels of the new Samsung Galaxy S Duos. However I have not found an inexpensive German supplier, and even if I did, that is a mute point as this phone is my 3rd choice.
    • Samsung Galaxy S Duos - cost ~250 euros - being released for sale this month in Germany
    • Elson (Mobistel) Cynus T1 - cost ~180 euros

Initially I compared only the HTC Desire V and the Samsung Galaxy S Duos, and pretty much decided on the Samsung Galaxy S Duos (over the HTC Desire V) due to its front camera and super dual sim functionality. The lack of a compass in the Galaxy S Duos is not a negative factor for me. I also like the reputation Samsung have for updating Android OS on a regular basis on their phones (both reliable and reasonably regular updates).

Then I noted the Elson (Mobistel) Cynus T1 being sold in one of the local computer/hi-tech/phone stores. This phone has the same specs as the Samsung Galaxy S Duos (a difference being it has BlueTooth 2.x as opposed to 3.x in the Galaxy and 4.x in the HTC Desire-V - but I don't use Bluetooth). Both phones have Android 4.0.4. From what I can learn, the Elson (Mobistel) Cynus T1 is a 'Chinese' made phone - it is not a clone of the Galaxy, but has its own design. The 'hints' I get from reading suggest the Elson (Mobistel) Cynus T1's MT6577 dual core CPU is faster than the Samsung's single core Cortex-A5/Adreno-200-GPU combination. Hardware support for the Elson (Mobistel) Cynus T1 (in terms of accepting returns for defective phones) in Germany appears to be good, from what I have read on a German-language forum for the Elson (Mobistel) Cynus T1. It was a bit difficult for me to figure this out, as all the documentation/reviews are in German language, but fortunately the Chrome browser is very helpful to us expatriate's whose Germany language skills are lacking.

But, and the 'but' is the point of this post on this thread', is I have no experience with 'Elson (Mobistel)' . Will they maintain the Android version ? I have colleagues at work with Chinese tablets that were inexpensive, but never had their Android version updated. I fear the same for the 'Elson (Mobistel) Cynus T1' if I were to purchase it. I have more confidence in the Samsung Galaxy S Duos having its Android updated (say to 4.1 Jelly Bean).

Is that 'fuzzy' feeling (that the Samsung has a better chance of being updated) worth the extra 70-euros (ie paying 250 Euros for the Samsung over the 180 Euros for the Cynus T1) ?

What price does one assign to a device that has its Android version maintained (by the manufacturer) as the phone gets older ?
    Last edited by oldcpu; 20-Oct-2012 at 23:15.

Blog Entries

Most of the geekier people around me buy phones they know as easy-to-be-rooted-without-risk + xda/cyanogen-supported. When I bought my Alcatel OT995, I read some reviews, all pointing at the soon coming upgrade to ICS. So far nothing. Where a Samsung device owner has a choice of custom roms to pick from, there's none for mine (or at least not until a couple of weeks ago). I appreciate the phone, but I'd rather have spent an extra € 70 for a Samsung and have some choice of ROMs.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

I have pretty much now crossed the Elson (Mobistel) Cynus T1 off of my list, not because of Android update ease, but because it is not a Quad Band. It supports 900/1800/1900 GSM, but not 850 GSM. My research suggests that for the best coverage when visiting friends/family in Canada I need 850 GSM. Too bad.

I then made the mistake (?) of looking at Chinese produced Quad Band Dual Sim Dual Core phones. There are a number of them, they have better performance than the Samsung Galaxy S Duos, but looking at them left me with a headache trying to sort them. I have currently given up, and will come back again some day soon to look at this when I can focus better on this. I note one can get Android-4 on these Chinese phones, but quality is a big unknown, support is not clear, and finally, its not clear what sort of Android support they will have.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Where a Samsung device owner has a choice of custom roms to pick from, there's none for mine (or at least not until a couple of weeks ago). I appreciate the phone, but I'd rather have spent an extra € 70 for a Samsung and have some choice of ROMs.
    I understand the sentiment. I'm puzzling over this a lot ... and have no answers that satisfy myself. I'm frustrated reading the Samsung Galaxy S Duos has only a single core and hence being slow according to all reviews.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 21-Oct-2012 at 09:31.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast