Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am shocked about the Android World

Default Re: I am shocked about the Android World

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    on Thursday night I ordered an average Smartphone from China (ZOPO ZP500+). I hope to take delivery in 7 to 10 days
    please tell us how it went....arrive on time, in good shape, works as expected, etc etc ??

--
    dd
    Last edited by DenverD; 17-Nov-2012 at 08:33. Reason: wanted to!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    please tell us how it went....arrive on time, in good shape, works as expected, etc etc ??
    Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about this thread ... and the phone purchase has gone well !

The phone is a ZOPO ZP500+. It has 512MB RAM and 4GB ROM. It has a slot for up to 64GB micro-SD card, of which I put in a 32GB card. The Android-4.0.4 version on this phone automatically grabbed some of the SD Card space for applications.

The display is 4.0". Resolution 480 x 854 which is more than adequate for the small 4.0" display. This is a dual core phone with a MTK6577 ARMv7 Cortex-A9 Dual-core 1.0GHz CPU and a PowerVR SGX531 Ultra GPU. The speed is good. Possibly marginally faster than my 1st generation TF100 Asus Transformer tablet. I copied a 720p video that plays on my Asus Transformer Tablet to the ZP500+ , and it played fine with the application 'mxplayer'.

I am using the application AirDroid to copy files to/from the smartphone. Its a very user friendly application, and works well if devices are on the same wireless LAN.

The phone functionality works well. The mic is reasonable quality, which is contrary to a couple of android forum user's posts I read of users not happy with the mics. Mind you other's had disputed the views of those who complained of the mic record quality, so all I can figure is there may be a 'random quality' issue here.

The phone is very thin. White in colour. It feels solid, but it is still very light. My current view is good quality. I am reading good things about the ZOPO smart phones and my ZP500+ supports what I have read.

I played with 3G earlier today (here in Germany) , learning a few things.

I am using Titanium backup to backup all my applications and data. I had to use that earlier today, as when playing with an email program, I somehow wiped out my configuration and data when trying to add another account. I simply restored from a backup (made 3 days earlier) - and fortunately I also had 3 days of email data still on the server and I downloaded that and thus lost nothing. I should, thou, have done that resync (to the email server) when using wireless, as resyncing over 3G took 2MB of my 30MB/month office 3G data allocation.

It won't be until next year that I can try the North American 3G.

I have not yet tried the bluetooth nor the GPS. The dual camera is great. I had a video chat with Skype with my mother in North America (I used the phone's wireless to connect to my home WLAN for this test - so to save 3G bandwidth). My mother could see me through the camera's low quality (0.3 MPixel , 640x480) front camera. But then I gave her a tour of my appartment by switching to the higher quality back camera (5MPixel) on the smart phone and she noted that camera much better over Skype. My mother is using openSUSE-12.1 so that was a good test of Android to openSUSE over Skype.

I made a LOT of notes about the philosophical considerations/selection thoughts I had when chosing the Chinese phone manufacturer (phone model) and the Chinese phone internet distributor/supplier (where I ordered via mail order). I can post that if there is interest.

I paid an extra $4.99 US to have the distributor/supplier root the phone for me, install a custom MOD PROM , which kept the phone rooted, removed the Chinese applications, installed some common western applications, provided additional language support (that I don't need) and installed googlestore (which is important as it makes installing applications easier). With 'root' admin permissions, I need to be very careful with the phone and not delete system files... but I also get to see the Android GNU/Linux file structure (which is nominally locked/hidden for Android users). Its very strange and there clearly is a massive software fork between Android and the nominal direction of most GNU/Linux distributions.

Still - I do like this phone , and I'm showing it off to every one

Blog Entries

I forgot to mention, the phone arrived within 2 weeks of my order, albeit it could have shown up in a week if it were not for the supplier having to wait for an out of stock custom battery I ordered, and wait for a couple more days due to a small problem rooting the phone (they sent me an email apologizing - noting they were having some problems to root the device - but in the end they succeeded), and DHL having problem delivering the phone (costing us 2 more days in the delivery).

In Germany there is no customs duty on the phone. We did pay the 19% VAT. But the phone is tax deductable (as it is used for business) and that will give about a ~20% tax deduction, in essence compensating for the VAT expense.

dd NNTP User

On 11/17/2012 06:56 PM, oldcpu wrote:
    > I forgot to mention

thanks!! for the review..

i think i will probably get one also...it is FAR less expensive, and far
    more capable (i get to NA every so often, also) than the Galaxy III i've
    looking at..

i do have one question: is it not possible to run as a 'user' and become
    root only that is wanted...or is it once rooted it stays there....that
    is kinda scary ??

--
    dd

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    i think i will probably get one also...it is FAR less expensive, and far
    more capable (i get to NA every so often, also) than the Galaxy III i've
    looking at..
    There is a lot of 'exciting' things happening wrt Chinese smartphones. The quad core Chinese phones are just coming out (albeit they are relatively expensive ... although still a significant savings over the quad core western phones).

If one is happy with a dual core phone, and has no desire to use 3G (data) in North America (for 3G) but is happy with 3G/voice in Europe, and only voice in North America, then there are Dual Core smart phones cheaper, and with more RAM than the ZP500+ that I ordered. I was tempted by
    • the Newman N1 (price at Etotalk supplier is $169.99 US before VAT and before shipping) which has the same CPU/GPU as my ZOPO ZP500+, but has 1GB RAM instead of the 512MB RAM, and has a 4.3" display (instead of the 4.0" display of my ZP500+) and has Gorilla Glass instead of the glass in my ZP500+ and a 1700mA battery (instead of the 1300mA battery in my ZP500+). The ZP500+ was more expensive as I paid $184.99 US for my ZP500+ (before tax and before VAT). But from what I have read on the Etotalk (and other forums (Russian/German language android forums using Chrome translation of the forums) the ZOPO is a superior quality/build. And of course the ZP500+ has 850MHz 3G for North America, while the Newman N1 does not
    • ZTE V970 (price at Etotalk supplier is $179.99 US before VAT and before shipping) which has the same CPU/GPU as my ZOPO ZP500+, but has 1GB RAM instead of 512MB RAM and has a 4.3" display (instead of the 4.0" display of my ZP500+) and a 1600mA battery (instead of the 1300mA battery in my ZP500+ ). ZTE is one of the largest phone suppliers in China (I think 4th largest ? ) . Still the ZTE V970 does not have the 850MHz 3G that I want for North America.
    • there are also some good Lenovo Chinese phones , but they tend to be more expensive than the ZTE and than the ZOPO (but MUCH cheaper than the Samsung). Lenovo and Samsung are tied neck and neck (pretty well) for being the two largest mobile phone suppliers in China. And China is currently the largest mobile phone market in the world

I highly recommend purchasing a Smart phone that has the Chinese apps removed. The ZOPO ZP500+ I purchased had an Etotalk MOD PROM (cost an extra $4.99 US) which meant the phone came rooted, Chinese apps removed, and Googlestore installed. Well worth the $4.99 price and extra few day wait (in my case).

I also purchased a $4.99 leather case. Minimalistic, but its better than the $14.99 cases in our local phone shop !! And it fits my phone. I also purchased a separate desktop battery charger for the spare battery which I have yet to need to use. Probably not needed. And I purchased an extra USB cable (micro usb on one end, and regular usb on the other end) which is invaluable, as I keep one cable at the office and one cable at home.

i do have one question: is it not possible to run as a 'user' and become
    root only that is wanted...or is it once rooted it stays there....that
    is kinda scary ??
    I confess I don't know the answer to that. I think it is possible but don't hold me to this. The terminal application I installed has one open the terminal session as a regular user, and only after typing 'su' does one get root. No password needed, but one does get a massive pop up warning saying "danger will robinson ... " (well not exactly but thats the general drift - it is a warning).

I note my titanium backup program, needs root permissions. It simply seizes root permissions when it needs it, giving me a popup saying 'taking root permissions " ...

So I supect the answer is apps don't have root by default, but there is some Android code (?) that they use to grab the permissions, and when grabbing root permissions they no longer need to ask permission first

It does IMHO mean my phone is a bit less secure so I need to be careful what I install from Googlestore and from elsewhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I also purchased a $4.99 leather case. Minimalistic, but its better than the $14.99 cases in our local phone shop !! And it fits my phone. I also purchased a separate desktop battery charger for the spare battery which I have yet to need to use. Probably not needed. And I purchased an extra USB cable (micro usb on one end, and regular usb on the other end) which is invaluable, as I keep one cable at the office and one cable at home.
    I meant to say, I also purchased these WITH the phone via the Etotalk supplier, as these items were cheaper than if purchased in a local shop, and hence were packaged with the phone and thus were included/part of the $34 US DHL/shipping cost of shipping the phone to Germany from China.

dd NNTP User

On 11/17/2012 08:26 PM, oldcpu wrote:
    > $34 US DHL/shipping cost of shipping the phone to Germany from
    > China.

all good info you provided, THANKS..

i was at the site a bit ago and it seems they can now ship the ZP500+
    from Italy....which i _guess_ would be less expensive AND i think i
    would avoid DK's 25% VAT, yeah!!

--
    dd

Blog Entries

i was at the site a bit ago and it seems they can now ship the ZP500+
    from Italy....which i _guess_ would be less expensive AND i think i
    would avoid DK's 25% VAT, yeah!!
    I did not notice that Italy option when I decided to purchase the ZP500+. Still, it does give me pause. I note the zopomobile site notes they will ship to Greece and Spain from Italy. They don't mention shipping to other European countries from Italy (that I could see), but I may have missed such and I suspect one could contact them to see if they would ship to Denmark or Germany or other European country from Italy.

I don't see the possibility of having them root one's phone for oneself, nor removing Chinese apps nor installing Googlestore, prior to shipping (where I paid Etotalk $4.99 to do so). If I were to order a second phone (for family or friends), not having the phone rooted with Chinese apps removed and Googlestore installed would give me some pause.

I have read recently someone being successful in rooting the phone in this post: Have Root For Zopo ZP500+ where they point to this XDA-developers forum thread Root MANY ANDROID - xda-developers together with a pointer to this package Root_with_Restore . Again I like the idea of removing unnecessary Chinese apps by having root permissions (as without root I do not believe it possible).

I also am a bit feeble in my own confidence of my being able to successfully root a phone without 'bricking' the phone (by a mistake I could make) which is another reason I liked the idea of having the Chinese supplier do this for me.

I think based on what you note, and also from other Chinese suppliers, even though the price I paid was fairly good, I paid more than I needed to pay for this smartphone. I view the extra money as buying me some peace of mind, given my own insecurities. In that respect, I think I am just like those who won't buy a Chinese phone but prefer to pay more money for a western phone as they are also possibly just buying themselves some peace of mind. People (like me) and life can be funny that way - I am like those who also pay more (for a less capable western phone) - perhaps its just a matter of degree as to how much security one buys.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 18:06:46 +0000, dd wrote:

> i do have one question: is it not possible to run as a 'user' and become
    > root only that is wanted...or is it once rooted it stays there....that
    > is kinda scary ??

Rooting a phone doesn't make everything run as root - it gives you access
    to the phone's root user, which is useful for some applications (for
    example, Titanium Backup requires root access for some operations).

Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

dd NNTP User

On 11/18/2012 01:08 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > Rooting a phone doesn't make everything run as root - it gives you access
    > to the phone's root user

that was my hope, thanks..

--