Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Balogna Capitol, Lebanon PA
    Posts
    104

    Exclamation akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

    What's wrong with this picture?
    SUSE Paste

    To start off with the dual core CPU is at 100%, not to mention ram and swap.

    I found a whole bunch of these "akonadi_agent_l" in the process list. Something similar also appears in top, but was not visible when the screen shot occurred. I believe this is user specific as I don't notice the saturation logging in as root, or under a test account. Is there a way to set this app back to defaults in my normal account?

    tia,
    Wil

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,754
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

    I am not actually seeing an obvious problem in your picture (the "top" output).

    I am seeing a large wait time, but not much cpu time and no akonadi processes showing.

    I'm not sure what monitor that is on the bottom right of your screen, so I can't compare.

    For myself, akonadi runs a bunch of processes, but they don't use much time, except perhaps just after login.

    I see a lot of idle time and very little wait time. But that is probably a hardware difference between our systems causing different kernel behavior.

    Your busiest process is kpackagekitd. It is probably checking for updates, and should stop using time as soon as it has finished.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Balogna Capitol, Lebanon PA
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

    I just wish I could have caught akonadi in the top view, I can assure you it was using +/- 100%

    The monitor in the lower right is one of the widgets available for the kde desktop. The top three graphs cpu0, cpu1, and combined processor usage all at 100%, Next 3 graps are cpu temps, next 2 are swap then ram both mostly at 100%, and last the network usage, which is insignificant.

    And most importantly the system pretty much becomes unusable till it stops whatever it's doing. 30 minutes +++

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,754
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

    Quote Originally Posted by WilNix2k View Post
    I just wish I could have caught akonadi in the top view, I can assure you it was using +/- 100%
    I have seen that here, but usually only for a brief time.

    If you are not doing anything that requires akonadi, then you can disable it. Edit the file:
    "$HOME/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc"
    and set the line "StartServer=true" to instead be "StartServer=false".

    Quote Originally Posted by WilNix2k View Post
    The monitor in the lower right is one of the widgets available for the kde desktop.
    Okay, I'll look for that and try it out. I don't normally use many widgets here (just "folder view").



    Quote Originally Posted by WilNix2k View Post
    The top three graphs cpu0, cpu1, and combined processor usage all at 100%, Next 3 graps are cpu temps, next 2 are swap then ram both mostly at 100%, and last the network usage, which is insignificant.
    Your "top" output does show the load average at 20.48, which is rather high. But current processor use seems low, so whatever was happening had pretty much stopped by then.

    The other thing I notice with the "top" output, is that you are probably tight for memory and doing significant swapping. I don't normally see that here, but that's probably because I don't do a lot of GUI stuff (other than browser). It might be the swapping that is driving your load average up and making the system unresponsive.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Balogna Capitol, Lebanon PA
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I have seen that here, but usually only for a brief time.

    If you are not doing anything that requires akonadi, then you can disable it. Edit the file:
    "$HOME/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc"
    and set the line "StartServer=true" to instead be "StartServer=false".
    This did in deed bring the large period of processing to a halt. I'd sort of like to know what I may be missing with out it. But so far I notice no difference as far, doing what I do on the machine so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Your "top" output does show the load average at 20.48, which is rather high. But current processor use seems low, so whatever was happening had pretty much stopped by then.
    My thought is that when ksnapshot runs it put akonadi on pause, which caused it to go down the process list. I believe ksnapshot is near the top in the provided image. Likely while the processor is still chewing through what is ram, and swap.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    The other thing I notice with the "top" output, is that you are probably tight for memory and doing significant swapping. I don't normally see that here, but that's probably because I don't do a lot of GUI stuff (other than browser). It might be the swapping that is driving your load average up and making the system unresponsive.
    This machine has 2 Gb or ram, and about the same in swap, which was configured on the install. I'd like to have more ram but this main board I believe is at it's limit in that regard.

    Now referring back to the original image of the desktop, in the upper right corner is the LCD Weather Station widget, sans weather telemetry data. I noticed that post the upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 the source of the data has change from the WX offices to (wettercom). As you can see the (wettercom) source doesn't work here, and what ever it was previously did. How can I get the old sources back?

    Guess I should have posted this latter question in a separate post, however it is relevant to what was wrong in the picture, or rather this system;-)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

    On 2012-10-18 13:56, WilNix2k wrote:

    > This machine has 2 Gb or ram, and about the same in swap, which was
    > configured on the install. I'd like to have more ram but this main board
    > I believe is at it's limit in that regard.


    The photo shows that swap is more than half in use. I would have created
    more swap space, about 8 Gigs.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,754
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

    Quote Originally Posted by WilNix2k View Post
    This did in deed bring the large period of processing to a halt. I'd sort of like to know what I may be missing with out it.
    The Kontact suite, including kmail, uses akonadi. I don't use those. Well, I use akregator, but without Kontact. I don't think akregator depends on akonadi. I am not quite sure of Amarok (media player). I turned akonadi back on, in case Amarok needs it. Most of what I do with Amarok would work without akonadi, but I am not sure about saving playlists.

    Quote Originally Posted by WilNix2k View Post
    Now referring back to the original image of the desktop, in the upper right corner is the LCD Weather Station widget, sans weather telemetry data. I noticed that post the upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 the source of the data has change from the WX offices to (wettercom). As you can see the (wettercom) source doesn't work here, and what ever it was previously did. How can I get the old sources back?
    I can't help you with that. I tried the weather widget with 12.1, but it never worked. It seemed to be unable to connect to whatever site it was trying to use for data. I haven't tried it since.

    Looking out the window is usually a good enough weather monitor for my needs.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Balogna Capitol, Lebanon PA
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    The Kontact suite, including kmail, uses akonadi. I don't use those. Well, I use akregator, but without Kontact. I don't think akregator depends on akonadi. I am not quite sure of Amarok (media player). I turned akonadi back on, in case Amarok needs it. Most of what I do with Amarok would work without akonadi, but I am not sure about saving playlists.
    Then I will most likely not miss it. I use Thunderbird for email, and VLC for media play, Very rarely have I used Amarok

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I can't help you with that. I tried the weather widget with 12.1, but it never worked. It seemed to be unable to connect to whatever site it was trying to use for data. I haven't tried it since.
    You experienced the same thing I'm referring to. What I'm looking for here is maybe the config file for the widget, to see if I can figure out where, or what the change was.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Looking out the window is usually a good enough weather monitor for my needs.
    I wish more meteorologists used the look out the windows method, maybe their forecasts would improve

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,981
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

    starting
    Code:
    akonadiconsole
    opens a lot of options for you to check. I do use the Kontact suite, see no hogging of akonadi stuff, but this is on my laptop, it may be too short to notice. AFAIK amarok does not rely on akonadi. Another thing you can do, is hit the gecko button of the kicker, and enter "akonadi' in the search field. That shows three options to play around with to set akonadi's behaviour. If you have made sure, you're not using akonadi at all, you could remove all the akonadi entries in ~/.kde4/share/config and ~/.kde4/share/apps when logged out, then re-login and see if things have improved.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Balogna Capitol, Lebanon PA
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: akonadi 4.8.5 OpenSUSE 12.2 post login system hog

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    starting
    Code:
    akonadiconsole
    opens a lot of options for you to check. I do use the Kontact suite, see no hogging of akonadi stuff, but this is on my laptop, it may be too short to notice. AFAIK amarok does not rely on akonadi. Another thing you can do, is hit the gecko button of the kicker, and enter "akonadi' in the search field. That shows three options to play around with to set akonadi's behaviour. If you have made sure, you're not using akonadi at all, you could remove all the akonadi entries in ~/.kde4/share/config and ~/.kde4/share/apps when logged out, then re-login and see if things have improved.
    Since I changed the ~/.config/akonadi/akronadiserverrc to StartServer=false Those configuration panels show nothing, other then noting the server isn't running. I may at some point go back and re-enable the server to poke around a little, but I don't think I'm using any of the apps that leverage PIM or akonadi at this point, so we've tamed that portion of the beast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •