Many issues with OpenSuse 12

Hi everybody,

I installed OpenSuse about a month ago and I have a lot issues. I’m not sure I’m under the right sections though.

The most urgent:

-I’m using a laptop and an external screen so I disabled the laptop’s screen yesterday in the Display settings. Eveything was working fine until this morning. When I log in, both screens remain black. It seems like it’s freezing. For now I can only log in as root and access my files.

I have some other issues:

-The laptop freezes with a black screen when I click on the “sleep” button.

-The laptop freezes with Suse’s green screen when I try to reboot.

-The right part of my keyboard (the one with numbers) isn’t recognized.

-I’m using an HDMI cable to connect the external screen, but only images are displayed. There’s no sound coming from the screen while the screen is recognized in the audio settings.

-Sometimes when I hibernate the network is "unmanaged’ when I turn the laptop back on.

Please help me.
Thanks

Did you run any updates? What graphics card and driver are you using? Also which specific version, 12.1 and 12.2 are very different. :slight_smile: This fix might involve ensuring xserver and driver packages are properly installed. For now you can try booting in safe mode.

The laptop freezes with a black screen when I click on the “sleep” button.

Some laptops just are not able to suspend/hibernate correctly under Linux. You might want to research specific workarounds for your model.

The laptop freezes with Suse’s green screen when I try to reboot.

You can press esc to show the text based information. This might be acpi related, I have no ideas of solutions.

The right part of my keyboard (the one with numbers) isn’t recognized.

This might be related to the black screen issue, but I have no ideas how to fix.

I’m using an HDMI cable to connect the external screen, but only images are displayed. There’s no sound coming from the screen while the screen is recognized in the audio settings.

You might try setting up the sound in the yast2 sound control centre. I am not familiar with HDMI.

Sometimes when I hibernate the network is "unmanaged’ when I turn the laptop back on.

Not sure. You might try making sure in yast2 network that it is set to use networkmanager and not ifup.

Though I have you a quick run through, a thread like this can get complicated as users try to answer all the various questions. Please try to tackle the issues one at a time. With one specific question per thread. Start with the most important issues and when they are solved move to the lesser important ones. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. OK let’s focus on the first issue for now. My version of suse is 12.1. For some reason, the right part of my keyboard works perfectly when I log in as root (I hope this might help solving this issue too). I think the issue comes from Gnome. I can open a Xterm session correctly for instance. So is there a way to edit my Gnome settings without opening a Gnome session (with the command line ? ) ?

On 2012-10-17 16:06, andrecmoi wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply. OK let’s focus on the first issue for now. My
> version of suse is 12.1. For some reason, the right part of my keyboard
> works perfectly when I log in as root (I hope this might help solving
> this issue too). I think the issue comes from Gnome. I can open a Xterm
> session correctly for instance. So is there a way to edit my Gnome
> settings without opening a Gnome session (with the command line ? ) ?

You could try creating a new user, and log in as that new user. If it
works, then the problem is not the system, but your user configs.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

That’s what I did. It’s not the best solution but I just created a new user and copied the old user’s files. The new user has Gnome default settings.

Thanks.