Thread: How do I change the look and feel of OpenSuSE 12.2 64 bit and K Desktop Environment?

Default How do I change the look and feel of OpenSuSE 12.2 64 bit and K Desktop Environment?

I have a System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC and I installed OpenSuSE 12.2 64 bit with the Tumbleweed software repository using K Desktop Environment 4.8.5. I want to change the look and feel of my desktop, but I am not sure how to do this. Specifically, I want to change the splash screen every time I boot my PC and the KDM theme every time I log in to my desktop. I also want to be able to change the KDE theme including wallpapers, windows, icons, etc. How do I download, add, and install new themes? Where can I look for more themes?

I am a new OpenSuSE and KDE user so please be as specific as possible or else I will get confused and bother more people with questions. Thank you.

Default AW: How do I change the look and feel of OpenSuSE 12.2 64 bit and K Desktop Environment?

zypp it...

dd@home.dk NNTP User

Default Re: How do I change the look and feel of OpenSuSE 12.2 64 bit andK Desktop Environment?

On 10/17/2012 10:36 AM, wellywu wrote:
    > I am a new OpenSuSE and KDE user so please be as specific as possible

its spelled openSUSE and since new to both the system and the desktop
    environment i'd suggest you begin here:

http://doc.opensuse.org/documentatio....kdequick.html

which includes all kinds of good stuff, including the some (maybe
    all--i've not read it in a long time) of customizations you asked
    about.....and, if that is not detailed or complete enough you will love
    what all is here: http://docs.kde.org/

--
    dd

Default Re: How do I change the look and feel of OpenSuSE 12.2 64 bit and K Desktop Environment?

You can do these things in Configure Desktop. (Alt-F2 and configure ... and select Configure Desktop). Configure Desktop has search menu so you can quickly find things.

Quote Originally Posted by wellywu View Post
    I want to change the splash screen every time I boot my PC and the KDM theme every time I log in to my desktop
    Search for "Splash Screen" in Configure Desktop. Workspace Appearance will be highlighted, and there, you can go splash screen, and change the theme. It has built-in "Get New Themes.." icon which you can browse, download & install themes without going to a website.

Quote Originally Posted by wellywu View Post
    I also want to be able to change the KDE theme including wallpapers, windows, icons, etc. How do I download, add, and install new themes? Where can I look for more themes?
    Similarly, search for those things in Configure Desktop, go to the item and you should be able to change those things easily.

Joon