Tv Time sound delay

I’m using Tv Time with an aver media tv tuner SAA7134,after I install Tv Time I have no sound,so after digging around I found this little script "#!/bin/sh
echo
tvtime &

sleep 4

echo
arecord -D hw:2,0 -c 2 -r 32000 -f S16_LE -t wav | aplay" that solves the sound problem,the thing is that it gets delayed,I’m on opensuse 12.2,kde 4.8,and I’m not using pulse-audio,just alsa!Any advice would be appreciated,thanks!

Do you have the saa7134-alsa module loaded?

lsmod | grep saa7134-alsa

if not, load it and test

modprobe saa7134-alsa

also check alsamixer and see if the saa7134 capture is on

Doesn’t work,I’ll just have to “hack” the hell out of VLC to get analog TV on my openSUSE box,but thanks anyway!

FWIW, my saa7134 card worked fine with tvtime (and whatever other analog TV apps) for sound when I formerly used it for such … which is several years ago now. I don’t have access to an analogue TV source any longer so would not be able to test in that regard, though I’m sure I could test a basic analog A/V source (like attaching a VCR or DVD via the s-video and audio inputs) … though I don’t even have the card installed right now, so that would be a PITA.

That withstanding, there could be a regression in the driver, or perhaps its just your card. I note that its hard to go by/guess/speculate/read into further, when all you’ve left us with is “doesn’t work” lol!

I’ll just have to “hack” the hell out of VLC to get analog TV on my openSUSE box,but thanks anyway!
n.p. ! Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply,but if it doesn’t work it doesn’t!:stuck_out_tongue:

The problem is that tvtime does not support ALSA, it is looking for OSS devices in /dev, which does not exist in openSUSE 12.2.

The workaraund is to redirect the sound from the card directly ALSA or PulseAudio.

You can still try (if you haven’t already) some of these methods to avoid latency Saa7134-alsa - LinuxTVWiki :slight_smile:

Doesn’t work,I’ll just have to “hack” the hell out of VLC to get analog TV on my openSUSE box,but thanks anyway!

And how did you hack VLC to use this tuner?

I have the same card, and tried using VLC, but it seems there is a problem with setting up the right frequency. I can get picture and sound from S-Video/Composite, but not from the TV-tuner itself. I have a list of working frequencies (in tvtime), but it seems VLC cannot set the right frequency, or maybe I’m not typing it right.

Can you tell us how exactly did you manage to gei it working with VLC?:expressionless:

Ah yes, that is correct – you will have to use one of the helper apps in the case of usage with the old version of tvtime.

The good news is that a more modern version of tvtime, which is patched for alsa support, exists. You can find it in its own git repo on the LinuxTV website (see
Tvtime - LinuxTVWiki ). You guys might want to poke the openSUSE maintainer of the tvtime package and get them to pick up the revised version and get it into the distro.