Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: message Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:klauncher said:Error loading kio-file

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    8

    Unhappy message Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:klauncher said:Error loading kio-file

    Hi,
    I am using 32bit OpenSuse 12.1 with KDE 4.9.1 "release 561". Currently I often face this error message:

    Code:
    Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:klauncher said:Error loading kio-file
    it often happens when I have only opened one Konqueror window, few tabs in Chromium and a document in LibreOffice and want to open an image in Gwenview or something similar.

    According to ksysguard, there should be still enough RAM and CPU to run that app, but I got this message instead. Closing some apps and retrying helps but it is really stupid.

    Sometimes I also notice increase of CPU fan noise and partial freezing of whole system for a short time without any reason. Checked ksysguard and it looks like there is a problem with kio-file which sometimes increases its load although the PC is in idle state.

    Is there and possible solution?

    thanks

    PS: this PC has Phenom X3 CPU, 2 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD, so it should be enough - I used linux on worse machines without that issue

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: message Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:klauncher said:Error loading kio-file

    Quote Originally Posted by juhele View Post
    Hi,
    I am using 32bit OpenSuse 12.1 with KDE 4.9.1 "release 561". Currently I often face this error message:

    Code:
    Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:klauncher said:Error loading kio-file
    it often happens when I have only opened one Konqueror window, few tabs in Chromium and a document in LibreOffice and want to open an image in Gwenview or something similar.

    According to ksysguard, there should be still enough RAM and CPU to run that app, but I got this message instead. Closing some apps and retrying helps but it is really stupid.

    Sometimes I also notice increase of CPU fan noise and partial freezing of whole system for a short time without any reason. Checked ksysguard and it looks like there is a problem with kio-file which sometimes increases its load although the PC is in idle state.

    Is there and possible solution?

    thanks

    PS: this PC has Phenom X3 CPU, 2 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD, so it should be enough - I used linux on worse machines without that issue
    If you want my opinion on the subject, I think it is time to upgrade to openSUSE 12.2, consider switching to 64 bit and to not upgrade KDE to 4.9, staying instead at 4.8 until such time as KDE 4.9 is a lot better than it is right now. Once you make the spring to a newer KDE version, its not practical to drop back down from which the error message comes. It is possible adding in more memory might help of course, if you want to stick with your present setup. But I am not seeing any consistent error reporting on the problem that you cite and reinstalling their Linux Distro seems to be the most common fix.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: message Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:klauncher said:Error loading kio-file

    Ok,
    I will consider upgrade to 12.2. However, I do not think that 64bit is a good way for me - I see many problems around 64 bit users who use similar apps like me. I use various GIS apps like QGIS, SAGA GIS etc. and there is often problem with 64 bit version.

    The upgrade to KDE was done because after clean install and adding locale I got only partially translated KDE although the Czech translation was complete and all needed packages were installed. Later I was pushed to complete kernel etc. upgrade after conflict betweem old kernel, wacom tablet drivers and nVidia proprietary drivers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: message Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:klauncher said:Error loading kio-file

    Quote Originally Posted by juhele View Post
    Ok,
    I will consider upgrade to 12.2. However, I do not think that 64bit is a good way for me - I see many problems around 64 bit users who use similar apps like me. I use various GIS apps like QGIS, SAGA GIS etc. and there is often problem with 64 bit version.

    The upgrade to KDE was done because after clean install and adding locale I got only partially translated KDE although the Czech translation was complete and all needed packages were installed. Later I was pushed to complete kernel etc. upgrade after conflict between old kernel, wacom tablet drivers and nVidia proprietary drivers.
    On the 32/64 bit issue, you can load 32 bit libraries and thus run 32 bit stuff if 64 bit does not work as you wish for any application. As for Czech translations, I guess I can't help there, but I have not heard it was a problem with openSUSE 12.2. As for nVIDIA, on my latest PC I have decided to stick with native open source drivers for nVIDIA and so far its working well for me. Further, you can upgrade the kernel, where the drivers live, clear up to kernel 3.6.2 if you wish, to see how well it works. In the end, I feel the error message you are getting with KDE 4.9 is due to the KDE version and not something we can help directly here with. Insufficient translations in openSUSE 12.2 KDE 4.8.5 would be considered a bug in my opinion, should it exist, which I don't know if it does exist and worth filing a bug report on should you find that it is true after doing an upgrade to openSUSE 12.2. All efforts in fixing openSUSE issues are spent with the current openSUSE release and of course, the next one to come out 12.3, down the line. Going backwards to 12.1 does occur for security issues, but a KDE 4.9 issue would be looked at as an upstream problem I think, outside of what openSUSE can fix. That does not mean future KDE 4.9 versions might not be in offering, because it could be, just not sure what you could do about it right now.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: message Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:klauncher said:Error loading kio-file

    thanks,
    I did a full distro upgrade to 12.2 (kept the 32bit) yesterday (took whole evening ) and now everything seems to work fine. It looks like it solved my problem with unstability of some apps like Firefox and Adobe Flash and maybe also others. Will see, but I am happy now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: message Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:klauncher said:Error loading kio-file

    Quote Originally Posted by juhele View Post
    thanks,
    I did a full distro upgrade to 12.2 (kept the 32bit) yesterday (took whole evening ) and now everything seems to work fine. It looks like it solved my problem with unstability of some apps like Firefox and Adobe Flash and maybe also others. Will see, but I am happy now.
    Well very happy to hear you are up and running with openSUSE 12.2. If you have any other issues, please make sure to let us know so we can help.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •