Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display shifted to the right after coming back from monitor power save

Default Display shifted to the right after coming back from monitor power save

I recently purchased an HP ML110 G7 server that has an embedded Matrox G200eH video card. The display works out of the box on 12.2 but there is an issue when the monitor comes out of powersave mode: the KDE desktop shifts about 1/4 screen to the right, leaving a blank area on the left. I have to logoff and back on to get it to redisplay correctly. I've seen some other references to this problem on the Internet but none specifically against 12.2. Any ideas?

On a related note, the server also has an HP SmartArray P212 card that provides hardware RAID5. This too works out of the box with 12.2 (hpsa driver) but I'm curious if the driver/OS provides any feedback when the RAID becomes degraded. HP only provides software for SUSE 10/11 which I'm assuming can't be installed on openSUSE 12.2?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Display shifted to the right after coming back from monitor power save

I recently purchased an HP ML110 G7 server that has an embedded Matrox G200eH video card. The display works out of the box on 12.2 but there is an issue when the monitor comes out of powersave mode: the KDE desktop shifts about 1/4 screen to the right, leaving a blank area on the left. I have to logoff and back on to get it to redisplay correctly. I've seen some other references to this problem on the Internet but none specifically against 12.2. Any ideas?
    I'd like to see the output of
    Code:
    # xquery -m
    before and after power-saving, although I suspect this has nothing to do with the Xorg server. (Maybe you should consider disabling power saving for now.)

On a related note, the server also has an HP SmartArray P212 card that provides hardware RAID5. This too works out of the box with 12.2 (hpsa driver) but I'm curious if the driver/OS provides any feedback when the RAID becomes degraded. HP only provides software for SUSE 10/11 which I'm assuming can't be installed on openSUSE 12.2?
    I sincerely recommend that you ask this question in a dedicated thread so that you can attract the attention of someone who can advise better than I.

Default Re: Display shifted to the right after coming back from monitor power save

Just found out this also happens if I use the Switch Users function in KDE. The original session is then shifted but the new one is fine. Output of xquery -m for both:

Original (bad):
    0 "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync

Second (good):
    0 "1600x900" 119.00 1600 1696 1864 2128 900 901 904 932 -hsync +vsync

Blog Entries

To be honest, I'm not sure what is going on here. The xquery output confirms that the display mode changes after display blanking blanking somehow.

Do you have the xf86-video-mga package installed? I note that there is a newer version available from the Xorg repo

software.opensuse.org:

but I don't know whether this will fix the situation or not.

You may need to file a bug report for this behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Do you have the xf86-video-mga package installed? I note that there is a newer version available from the Xorg repo.
    I have version 1.5.0-4.1.2 installed. I might try installing the newer version from the Xorg repo (and cross my fingers that it doesn't hose something else up!)

Blog Entries

Add the repo, and upgrade. That way, any other required packages will be added or upgraded etc

Next question: Where is the 12.2 repo? Can't find a reference to it anywhere. And is it recommended to also add the KDE repo?

Blog Entries

I posted the link earlier. Click on the 'Show other versions' and navigate to 'Show unstable packages'. You'll see the X11: Xorg repo, where you can add via the '1-click'

For your question about which repos you should have enabled, I recommend to start a separate thread, and make sure to include openSUSE version, desktop environment and version (KDE),the repos you have configured from 'zypper lr -d'. Others can then advise.

I installed the later xf86-video-mga driver from the repo but now it doesn't look like the monitor ever makes it into standby mode at all. The screen saver starts running at the specified time, then appears to stop (freezes) about the time when standby should kick in. At that point I can hit a key to get the user login prompt.

Blog Entries

Well, I guess that confirms that it is a driver issue, and that is better than the shifted display that was occurring. We don't see very many matrox-related threads here. I'd file a bug report.

www.x.org/wiki/
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 15-Oct-2012 at 12:26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast