Normal user - ifconfig privileges

Hoydy

Is there a way to put a “user” that it NOT root, in some kind of group that is allowed to use ifconfig command and change network’s parameters?

Best regards,

JM

If you use NetworkManager, there are some parameters that you can change.

You might try being a bit less vague about what you are wanting to do.

Is not about being vague or not, I want a user in this pc to use terminal commands but i dont want to give her root privileges. Is that only.

You can setup “sudo” to allow a specific user to use particular commands with that users own password, or maybe without any password.

man sudo
man sudoers

My question is, if i change the ifconfig group from root - to user.

Ifconfig may be used by user?

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     67720 jul 15 03:20 ifconfig

No, that won’t make any difference.

You have as much permissions as anybody, as far as the code in “ifconfig” is concerned. The restrictions are in the kernel, not in the “ifconfig” command itself.

I get it, thank you nrickert.

Best regards,

JM

On 2012-10-07 18:26, m1cky64 wrote:
>
> My question is, if i change the ifconfig group from root - to user.
>
> Ifconfig may be used by user?
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 67720 jul 15 03:20 ifconfig
>
> --------------------

You already have permissions to run it as anybody. But some of the things inside ifconfig need
that it runs as root to be allowed. Your alternatives are using sudo or making binary suid
(which I don’t recommend).

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

for me it works this way: I setup via Yast->Security and Users->Users in Rules for sudo I added an user(myself) to run as root and no password the command /sbin/ifconfig. After saving i can run as myself the /sbin/ifconfig command and get the network info. I hope that explains it and i hope that would be the info you are looking for.