Thread: Nice feature in KDE 4.9.2

Default Nice feature in KDE 4.9.2

Hi all,

I use several new and old laptops for Windows plus Linux and I decided to try the latest SUSE 12.2 release. (I have been an on and off SUSE user since 6.0.) It came with KDE 4.8.5 as the desktop and that was OK but only left about 200 MB free physical memory with the T-23 Think Pad (Mobile PIII, 1.2 GHZ, 1 GB RAM) I installed it in when running and doing nothing. It works, but is a bit slow. I used the update feature and due to some changes that were happening in the repo files at openSUSE the update added some files from two different versions of KDE and left some files out altogether. (The repo's were preparing a major update for KDE in the repositories and I apparently updated while this was in progress with some strange results.) I mention this part just to show the reason for the next action. I was looking in the forums and saw that others had a similar thing happen and they pointed out that the repo's had been updated to 4.9.2 and then listed the url for them.

I updated the T-23 to KDE 4.9.2 and all the files are working well, as they should. The previously missing files are there as well and all works great. I did find one very nice benefit that I want to mention and to publicly commend the KDE group for improving the desktop in an important area: the memory usage is considerably better with this new release it seems. Sitting at idle, doing nothing at all, the free physical memory is now 330-350 MB and the cache memory is also lower and the system acts more responsive. So, it looks good, works well and has a lighter footprint. Great stuff!

So, why am I using a T-23? It works well, it is reliable, IT IS PAID FOR, and I don't have to worry if I kill it somehow.

YMMV

Cheers,

gcd

Default Re: Nice feature in KDE 4.9.2

My system has opensuse 12.2 - x64bit installed. Everything was worked very well, with my desktop effect enabled its run very smooth.
    Two days ago I upgrade my kde to 4.9.2 "release 511".
    What I got now is that whenever I enable my desktop effect, the whole system became lag. slow like a snail.
    The system goes well if I disable the desktop effect.
    What goes wrong actually?

Tech spec is Asus eeePC X101H.

Are you running the kernel version for your netbook or the desktop PC version? Just wondering. I am running the version with PAE extensions for my T-23. If you are not running the netbook kernel version, why not download it and see if it helps? Use YAST and search for kernel and choose the netbook version, reboot into that version kernel and see if it runs better. Don't make it the default kernel unless your ASUS runs better with it.

Cheers,

gcd

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zxr250cc View Post
    Are you running the kernel version for your netbook or the desktop PC version? Just wondering. I am running the version with PAE extensions for my T-23. If you are not running the netbook kernel version, why not download it and see if it helps? Use YAST and search for kernel and choose the netbook version, reboot into that version kernel and see if it runs better. Don't make it the default kernel unless your ASUS runs better with it.

Cheers,

gcd
    There is no such thing as a netbook kernel. The flavors are kernel-default and kernel-desktop. No need for PAE since the EeePC's have 2GB as a max.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    There is no such thing as a netbook kernel. The flavors are kernel-default and kernel-desktop. No need for PAE since the EeePC's have 2GB as a max.

My error... I was thinking of MAGEIA and writing about SUSE.

With regards to PAE the description for its' rpm recommends it for any system that can use it regardless of amount of RAM installed. Is this inaccurate?

Cheers,

gcd

I think on supporting cpus with ram less than needed gb, the main feature of pae is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit