Customising the KDE Launcher?

Hi,

I am using KDE 4.8 on openSuSE 12.2.

If I click/hold an entry on the Favourites Menu Tab, I can drag and drop it into an alternative position (up/down) on that tab.
However, I can not do that on the other menu tabs? If I try the Click/Hold technique, I get a “stop” pop-up and the selected entry remains frozen in place!
As an example, I would like to move the Utilities entry (beginning with “U”) to be at the top of the Application Tab, above Development (beginning with “D”) .

If I open KMenuEdit, I can move application entries between Menu headings ( Applications, Development, Games etc), but they are still listed alphabetically.

Regards, Martin

If I open KMenuEdit, I can move application entries between Menu headings

You should also be able to move the headings themselves (just checked on KDE 4.7.x) and they don’t appear alphabetically. I don’t have 4.8.x here, so I can confirm this tomorrow for you…

Hi Nikos,

Thanks for coming back. I think that I may not have expressed my problem sufficiently well?
Firstly, I see this problem in KDE 4.7 on OpenSuSE 12.1 as well.

If we consider the screen shot below (I hope you can see it), I have created a new Submenu in the KDE Menu Editor and I have placed it at the top level in the left-hand tree view.
I have no control (as far as I can find) on where it goes. other than placing it in one of the existing Menu Headings or not. But if I don’t want it within an existing heading, this is were it sits…

Then, once I close KDE Menu Editor (and maybe reboot - just for good measure), and look where my new Submenu is, I find it as shown in this screenshot. Almost at the bottom of the Application Tab.
Not liking its lowly position, I try and move it up (to above the Development submenu), in the only way I know (by copying the technique used on the Favourites Menu - Click and Drag.)

Dho… As soon as I try that, I’m hit with a “stop” popup and no dragging is possible.

]http://thumbnails102.imagebam.com/21336/f31fc5213356619.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/f31fc5213356619)

Regards, Martin

You are right, that is not going to work.
However, try drag and drop in the KDE Menu Editor. This works for me (I tried it with the Utilities folder).

Nope! Not for me?

Just to clarify: Are you saying that when you run KMenuEdit, you can drag 'n drop the Utilities folder ABOVE the Application folder?

Are there any permissions issues that I need to be aware of? I have tried running KMenuEdit by right clicking on the Launcher Title Bar and from a console as me and as root.
All three modes give different layouts in the tree view!!

Additionally, running as root, gives stacks of “error” messages like this: “QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.”

Regards, Martin

Just to clarify: Are you saying that when you run KMenuEdit, you can drag 'n drop the Utilities folder ABOVE the Application folder?

Exactly.
right click on geeko –> left click on “utilities” (you have to aim at the icon drag and drop on first place of list. –> click save

for screenshots you’ ll have to wait till the evening or tomorrow.

Additionally, running as root, …"

never done that.

Then the Utilities submenu ends up WITHIN Applications submenu. Not ABOVE it.
No amount of trying will allow me to place a submenu above or between another submenu.
If I drift outside a valid drag 'n drop area the cursor hand changes into a stop sign.

Regards, and sorry to bang on about this. But cursed with a persistent nature…

Then the Utilities submenu ends up WITHIN Applications submenu

that is a matter of dexterity ;).
No seriously, maybe it is not very easy to aim, and definitely not very easy for me to explain, but it all comes down to where the cursor is when you release the mouse button…keep it a little more to the left. Good luck.

If I drift outside a valid drag 'n drop area the cursor hand changes into a stop sign.

That is true. When you release the mouse, the above icon must also be underlined. Try moving the mouse a bit whithout releasing and you will see that the part of the previous link that is underlined changes…

Underlined…? I see a highlighted rectangular box AROUND the menu item as I hover over it with a “hand and arrow” cursor…

Another tack? Do you know where the file is that KMenuEdit is editing? If I’ve not got the required dexterity, can I edit a file to achieve the effect I seek?

Regards, Martin

Underlined…? I see a highlighted rectangular box AROUND the menu item as I hover over it with a “hand and arrow” cursor…

Hmm…maybe this depends on the theme (or the fact that this is still the 4.7. computer)…if I release the mouse above the previous icon, I get “UTILITIES” moved above e.g. Applications, if I release the mouse above the description I get it moved into the other group.

Do you know where the file is that KMenuEdit is editing?

No. I think it is not a single one (even though the order with which they appear will probably be in one file)

can I edit a file to achieve the effect I seek?

Probably. Then again…I think that drag and drop should work, with a bit of trial and error (and probably after you have taken a brake from this).

Ok, I tried it on KDE 4.8. Indeed it does not seem to work as on 4.7.

can I edit a file to achieve the effect I seek?

~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu seems to be the one. Though, it does not look very promising, with regard to its syntax. Meanwhile, allow me to say that the answer you received on the kde forums is rather unlikely, as in this case it would not work on 4.7 either (which I swear it does).