Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Fiddly emacs diary question...

  1. #1

    Default Fiddly emacs diary question...

    Why is it that diary-block entries that I enter by hand (to save time) do not display properly under the emacs calendar app, but they do if I enter them the "official" way by marking a block of days on the calendar display and entering "i b" and all that stuff? The resulting diary file is supposed to be plain text yes? And the two entries, mine by hand and from emacs look identical, character for character.
    eg:

    %%(diary-block 9 10 2012 9 30 1012) Bob's trip to LA
    %%(diary-block 9 10 2012 9 30 2012) Bob's trip to LA

    So why does the one version show up, and the other doesn't?

    maab

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,156

    Default Re: Fiddly emacs diary question...

    You asked about this one in the other thread.

    I do not know why you gotn't any answer. Most of the time at least one member will go through the endless standard questions of "Which version of openSUSE, which desktop", etc. Maybe none felt able to do so without some sarcasm (I also find it difficult from time to time to do this in a new, but still polite, way).

    I guess the main reason is that nobody ever did what you did. I e.g. am an vi user, never used emacs, so why post here?
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: Fiddly emacs diary question...

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You asked about this one in the other thread.

    I do not know why you gotn't any answer. Most of the time at least one member will go through the endless standard questions of "Which version of openSUSE, which desktop", etc. Maybe none felt able to do so without some sarcasm (I also find it difficult from time to time to do this in a new, but still polite, way).

    I guess the main reason is that nobody ever did what you did. I e.g. am an vi user, never used emacs, so why post here?
    Why post here? Hm, fair question, I guess. Because I use openSUSE on a number of different machines so I look here for answers, and this is a section on Applications, and emacs is an Application and looking at the history there are several other emacs-related questions in this category, so all in all it seemed a reasonable approach at the time.

    maab

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,156

    Default Re: Fiddly emacs diary question...

    Quote Originally Posted by maabaum View Post
    Why post here? Hm, fair question, I guess. Because I use openSUSE on a number of different machines so I look here for answers, and this is a section on Applications, and emacs is an Application and looking at the history there are several other emacs-related questions in this category, so all in all it seemed a reasonable approach at the time.

    maab
    I did not ask why YOU posted here, this is the correct place.

    I did ask why I should post here where I am not an emacs user. And I (me) is an example for all of our members that did not post in this your thread for the simple reason that they are no emacs users and thus can not answer anything usefull to your problem.

    Language barrier?
    Last edited by hcvv; 19-Mar-2013 at 02:00.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fiddly emacs diary question...

    I think hcvv would be in agreement with me that it's a fair question, just not one anyone here can answer. Yes, I use
    vim (I wonder why you use vi hcvv ?) so cannot answer your question either. You might have more success posting it on
    Old Nabble's' Emacs forum: http://emacs.1067599.n5.nabble.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,156

    Default Re: Fiddly emacs diary question...

    Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    I think hcvv would be in agreement with me that it's a fair question, just not one anyone here can answer. Yes, I use
    vim (I wonder why you use vi hcvv ?) so cannot answer your question either. You might have more success posting it on
    Old Nabble's' Emacs forum: Emacs
    Of course it is a fair question. And it is in the correct place.
    But the OP wondered in another thread why he never got any answer and I try to explain that. In the mean time hoping that my action would trigger new attention to the thread (bumb).

    Well, I always type
    Code:
    vi txtfile
    just out of habit. A habit I have for about 30 years or more now. I guess that what I see then has already many vim features (like syntactic colouring, which I value). But in fact I am still a vi user. And as I guess every vi user does, I use only a subset of it's possibilities, reaching to the manual when I want something special. But that is still a vi man page in an HP-UX Release 10.0 manual.
    Last edited by hcvv; 19-Mar-2013 at 03:36.
    Henk van Velden

  7. #7
    dd NNTP User

    Default Re: Fiddly emacs diary question...

    On 03/19/2013 10:06 AM, hcvv wrote:
    > I am not an emacs user


    i am an ex-emacs user (but only because about 99% of my needs in
    emacs are filled by now easier filled by kwrite, mc, Google Calendar
    and etc....initially emacs (CLI version) was my main editor, last
    century)..

    but, having never used the calendar i can't answer and would suggest
    the OP may wait here a long time for a meaningful answer and *might*
    get better help on
    the mailing list help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org or
    the newsgroup gnu.emacs.help. The mailing list and newsgroup are
    linked: messages posted on one appear on the other as well.
    cite: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

    hmmmm, maybe begin here (i have no idea if the Q can be answered in
    the docs, or not--probably not, but if so someone on the mail list
    will probably tell you it is in the FM), so:
    [url]http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/index.html[/url


    --
    dd
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

  8. #8

    Default Re: Fiddly emacs diary question...

    On 2013-03-19, hcvv <hcvv@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > Well, I always type
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > vi txtfile
    > --------------------


    In which case you are a vim user . If you need proof just try:

    Code:
    vi
    .... unless you have manually ripped out vim and put vi in it's place.

    But vim is definitely an improvement from vi at the very least for three reasons: syntax highlighting, plugins, and
    tabbed/split windows. I've successfully converted a number of vi users to vim, but admittedly after some battling .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,156

    Default Re: Fiddly emacs diary question...

    Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    On 2013-03-19, hcvv <hcvv@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > Well, I always type
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > vi txtfile
    > --------------------


    In which case you are a vim user . If you need proof just try:

    Code:
    vi
    .... unless you have manually ripped out vim and put vi in it's place.

    But vim is definitely an improvement from vi at the very least for three reasons: syntax highlighting, plugins, and
    tabbed/split windows. I've successfully converted a number of vi users to vim, but admittedly after some battling .
    I have no doubt I in fact use vim as vi user (as I suggested already), but I call myself a vi user, litteraly because I just use the command vi, and further because I only use a subset of vi commands. I wouldn'r recommend others to do like me. Use Kwrite, etc. But I feel at home like I do.

    As said, I value the highlighting, as I do much HTML editing and it reveals you many typos.
    I do not know of any plugins. What should be pluged in in a mere text editor?
    And the tabbed/split windows. You can do the same with your terminal emulator. But I simply use different emulator windows.
    Yes, I am an old-fashioned type of user and many of those things that are called features are completely without any understanding for me.
    Last edited by hcvv; 19-Mar-2013 at 04:10.
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10

    Default Re: Fiddly emacs diary question...

    On 2013-03-19, hcvv <hcvv@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > I have no doubt I in fact use vim as vi user (as I suggested already),
    > but I call myself a vi user, litteraly because I just use the command
    > vi, and further because I only use a subset of vi commands. I wouldn'r
    > recommend others to do like me. Use Kwrite, etc. But I feel at home like
    > I do.


    I absolutely agree. Except I recommend kate to KDE users and gedit to GNOME users.

    > As said, Ivalue the highlighting, as I do much HTML editing and it
    > point reveals you many typos.
    > I do not know of any plugins. What should be pluged in in a mere text
    > editor?


    Hahaha , tell that to an Emacs user! If you have to ask, then perhaps vim isn't for you after all!

    > And the tabbed/split windows. You can do the same with your terminal
    > emulator. But I simply use different emulator windows.


    I'm not sure what you mean by emulator. An advantage of using vim's own split/tabbed windows feature is that the buffers
    are coordinated so you yank-paste across different files. Or this may be supported for your terminal emulator windows...
    I don't know.

    > Yes, I am an old-fashioned type of user and many of those things that
    > are called features are completely without any understanding for me.


    It depends on how much you want to learn new tricks . I believe just because a program is a console program, this
    doesn't mean it (and it's user base) shouldn't evolve and improve! For example, it's a shame that sc never evolved from
    what is already an excellent program. And analogously (at least for GNU/Linux), I see no advantage with persisting with
    vi restrictions when vim is installed everywhere. But as you say... old dogs ... new tricks .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •