Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse App Store/Market

Default OpenSuse App Store/Market

I thought in 12.2 Opensuse was going to release an app store market approach to installing applications?
    Doing this will greatly increase marketing, not only Opensuse but linux use in general.

Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

Use this to report new features :
    https://features.opensuse.org/

Steam will increase marketing of linux much greater IMHO and they are already beta testing
    Steam Internal Beta Next Week, External Beta To Follow
    Best regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by rain922 View Post
    I thought in 12.2 Opensuse was going to release an app store market approach to installing applications?
    Doing this will greatly increase marketing, not only Opensuse but linux use in general.
    I agree, an app store would be huge. There really is no argument against it at this point seeing how things have turned out for the apple and android app store and user base.
    Implementing such a thing would be a major undertaking though and I just do not see the resources for it in the openSUSE community. What we really need to do is have all the distros partner together for a universal app store. This would promote linux and what ever distro you want, good for everybody.
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

It's really not a bad idea. I would say that the software.opensuse.org pages are much like it but are not really... new user friendly... There also is the lack of the advertising of new apps portion of it as well. The other question would be, how do you make money on something that you can install for free. I suppose advertising space, similar to what Facebook does, would probably be the best route. Pull in enough traffic, making it super user friendly and easy to use would be a good way to at least start it off.
    If I am going to be spontaneous, I have to plan for it.

www.CubicleNate.com

Just as long as we don't fall down the traps of the Ubuntu Software Center. If we can make a compromise between a package manager and the app store (e.g including all the libraries and dependencies in a separate category) then we can go a long way into providing a good experience for noobies and geeks alike. We also ought to incorporate some of the features that are presently only available on the site, such as the more up-to-date packages we've got. Any branding or GUIs should be listed as sub-packages for one main group (e.g qjackctl for JACK) to make things less confusing.

Anything that can make the user experience less fragmented and vague gets my seal of approval.

Yerah this is something I feel openSUSE is missing.
    For as bad as Ubuntu software center is it does its job of making a clear easy to use interface that both the pro and newcomer can use.
    And sure there is YAST but I dont think its as accessible to new users as it could be.

I would rather like to see some improvements / new features added to the software.opensuse.org page rather than a software-center.

I think having categories added to the page would be useful. For example tabs could be added, which could like - Popular Applications, Music/Video Players, Office applications, Photo/Video Editing.

I think this would make it easier for new and existing users to discover new and alternative programs, in the opensuse repos and on the OBS.

Plus I also dont like the way the page uses debian/ubuntu screenshots rather than opensuse screenshots.

Well it does make sense as ubuntu and debian are more popular then openSUSE overall.
    As for software on site eh that can go both ways as we do have the one click install method.

One can't remove a package using the website though. There should be a polished and 'welcoming' way of doing both.

Quote Originally Posted by Paspie View Post
    One can't remove a package using the website though. There should be a polished and 'welcoming' way of doing both.
    You mean on software.opensuse.org?
    That's just a search engine for all packages on OBS. Why should anybody be able to remove a package there?
    Package Maintainers (or others with sufficient rights) can remove their packages on build.opensuse.org or with osc (the command line OBS client).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast