Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: OpenSuse App Store/Market

  1. #11

    Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

    Maybe it can be sort of like Ubuntu software center/ Mint software center though not nearly as limited.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

    On 2013-07-02 16:56, MadmanRB wrote:
    >
    > Maybe it can be sort of like Ubuntu software center/ Mint software
    > center though not nearly as limited.


    What's the advantage?
    Please describe it for people that have never used Ubuntu.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  3. #13

    Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

    Sure

    Ubuntu software center is a very basic package managment tool and looks like this:



    As you can see its very basic, but thats because its meant to be.
    It features large icons, prices (where applicable) and the application name on its main page and when you click on an app it will tell you what its about.
    Now this is both a good and a bad software installer, for basic package management it actually works quite well.
    But if you add stuff like extra repos and the like it becomes cumbersome forcing one to often resort to command line.
    It needs a refresh button but will Ubuntu have one?
    Nope you want more complex use the terminal.
    This is where the mint software center gets its cudos:


    While lacking the same flash as its counterpart the current mint software center in mint 15 offers many features that Ubuntu software center doesnt like the ability to refresh.
    Now you may say it looks like apper, but apper doesnt have as many features.

    Now of course there is Yast, keep it around for more experienced users but also have a more accessible UI for new users.
    To be honest I never really found Yasts software manager that good for beginners, now I can get it but if you never used lin ux before it really lacks simplicity.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

    On 2013-07-02 22:46, MadmanRB wrote:
    >
    > Sure
    >
    > Ubuntu software center is a very basic package managment tool and looks
    > like this:
    >
    > [image: http://i.stack.imgur.com/LiNBA.png]


    I can see it is more attractive. Maybe it is easier to find an
    application for solving a task. YaST is more technical -- and no, I do
    not find yast difficult at all. Not even back in 1998 did I find it
    difficult.


    To get something of that kind, somebody has to design it, and then
    somebody else has to assign resources to maintain it. I don't see it
    happening. Not soon. And asking for it here leads nowhere, the decision
    makers do not read this forum.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  5. #15

    Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

    Yeah, but my point is we shouldn't have to remove features to make it easier for beginners. Having separate applications seems like an after-thought to me, and by combining the YAST Software Manager toolset and say, the aesthetics and layout of the 'software center' type app, we can remove fragmentation and make life easier for developers and package managers.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    112

    Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

    Speaking of easy to use package management software, when I first saw Apper in openSUSE I thought that was the beginner friendly side of the openSUSE distribution (like Synaptic and old Ubuntu Software Center in the old days). Software categories, nice icons... I tend to use YaST for administration and tell beginners to use Apper.

    Even if Apper (formerly known as "KPackageKit") is, for the moment, far from being as user friendly as Ubuntu Software Center, I prefer Apper because it's a cross distribution solution and this is what I like in open source community: share of work . What a waste of time and energy to start all over again!

    I think the huge advantage of Ubuntu Software Center over Apper is that you can buy software within. People may be interested by that or take it for granted. I personally prefer to manage the software I buy my-self...

    Anyway, as robin_listas pointed out, "the decision makers do not read this forum". But I couldn't refrain my from replying!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

    On 07/04/2013 02:16 PM, Paspie wrote:
    > we can remove fragmentation and make life easier for developers and
    > package managers.


    do you (and the others here who propose and endorse the idea of an
    app store even better than Ubuntu and whose?) include yourself in
    that "we" who will volunteer their time and talent to do the actual
    work required to build, populate and maintain the app store?

    of course maintaining would be a near constant task of removal of
    outdated packages, and the inclusion of their replacements and and
    incorporation of the new latest and greatest gizmos, do-dads and
    what-nots..

    and, normally there is also a relatively constant influx of new ideas
    and _needs_ to be incorporated into existing things like YaST,
    zypper, the searcher at software.opensuse.org or even a new app
    store...all to make it easier for users . . .

    --
    dd

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

    On 07/04/2013 03:06 PM, kalten wrote:
    > What a waste of time and
    > energy to start all over again!


    i agree!

    i wonder though, since YaST is very old (from the '90s i believe) why
    did all of those people who wanted to make apper "waste their time
    and energy" by starting all over again to make something that does
    what YaST Software Management, YaST Online Update and zypper did
    better, already years before either kpackagekit or apper started up
    to replicate _existing_ capability....but introduce instability,
    inconsistencies, bugs and turmoil?

    --
    dd

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    why did all of those people who wanted to make apper "waste their time and energy" by starting all over again to make something that does what YaST Software Management, YaST Online Update and zypper did better
    To provide cross-distro package management software i.e. PackageKit. Apper was produced for KDE. Neither PackageKit nor Apper were produced for [open]SUSE.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    112

    Default Re: OpenSuse App Store/Market

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 07/04/2013 03:06 PM, kalten wrote:
    > What a waste of time and
    > energy to start all over again!


    i agree!

    i wonder though, since YaST is very old (from the '90s i believe) why
    did all of those people who wanted to make apper "waste their time
    and energy" by starting all over again to make something that does
    what YaST Software Management, YaST Online Update and zypper did
    better, already years before either kpackagekit or apper started up
    to replicate _existing_ capability....but introduce instability,
    inconsistencies, bugs and turmoil?

    --
    dd
    Touché!

    I think that packagekit and its GUIs were born because it's difficult to use one software manager from one distribution to another. Speaking of YaST, the project aiming at porting it into Debian, yast4debian, halted.

    EDIT: consused was faster!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •