Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Blank screen after NVIDIA driver upgrade

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Blank screen after NVIDIA driver upgrade

    Upgraded to 12.2 a couple of weeks ago. Switched to the NVIDIA proprietery driver last week. Since the driver change, Ive been getting an occasional "gray screen," light to dark, where applications are still running but I get no response to the mouse or keyboard. I can't even switch to text mode, and end up killing the power. It doesn't happen often, but it's persistent. I'm using Gnome 3, but I tried KDE to see if there was a similar problem, and it happened when waking the computer from suspend.

    It's not during inactivity. There's no particular pattern that I can see. I didn't have any problem like this in 11.4 and Gnome 3.2. I have a GeForce 8400 GS card. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Blank screen after NVIDIA driver upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by chief_sealth View Post
    Upgraded to 12.2 a couple of weeks ago. Switched to the NVIDIA proprietery driver last week. Since the driver change, Ive been getting an occasional "gray screen," light to dark, where applications are still running but I get no response to the mouse or keyboard. I can't even switch to text mode, and end up killing the power. It doesn't happen often, but it's persistent. I'm using Gnome 3, but I tried KDE to see if there was a similar problem, and it happened when waking the computer from suspend.

    It's not during inactivity. There's no particular pattern that I can see. I didn't have any problem like this in 11.4 and Gnome 3.2. I have a GeForce 8400 GS card. Any thoughts?
    Have you fully updated openSUSE after the 12.2 install? Which nVIDIA driver did you install? I see that nVIDIA version 304.51 is said to work with your card. Here are some resources if you have not seen them:

    Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    AND

    LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.46 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    AND I have found that using kernel 3.5.4 speeds up openSUSE a lot and works better with nVIDIA:

    S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.78 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: Blank screen after NVIDIA driver upgrade

    I'm trying the 304.51 driver. We'll see what happens.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: Blank screen after NVIDIA driver upgrade

    Well, it was looking good for a few days, but the same thing happened again as few minutes ago. This time the screen was green. I think I had three windows open, was playing a card game. I don't see any clues in /var/log/messages or in ~/.xsession-errors.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Blank screen after NVIDIA driver upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by chief_sealth View Post
    Well, it was looking good for a few days, but the same thing happened again as few minutes ago. This time the screen was green. I think I had three windows open, was playing a card game. I don't see any clues in /var/log/messages or in ~/.xsession-errors.
    So this is a hardware problem and you might even wonder if it means there is something wrong. Is it possible the hardware is getting too hot? Have you cleaned out the video card heat sinks? Is it possible something other than video is at fault? Have you tired to use the built in nouveau video driver? I actually have one old PC I have got this to work just fine on in 3D and everything. The PC is five years old, but the video card is not all that old as it is a nVIDIA GT 450 chipset. I have openGL, KDE compositing and everything working. Of course you would have to enable KMS, stop blacklisting the nouveau driver and uninstall the nVIDIA proprietary video driver. The only problem I was having was with Plymouth was NOT working and stalling the machine. Little did I realize you could just press ESC to stop the display and set vga=text in your normal kernel load line and Plymouth is gone. But the PC is working great otherwise in video today as I played with the PC, even looking at the iTunes Movie Trailers with no problems at all. Anyway, its just another suggestion you could consider.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: Blank screen after NVIDIA driver upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So this is a hardware problem and you might even wonder if it means there is something wrong. Is it possible the hardware is getting too hot? Have you cleaned out the video card heat sinks? Is it possible something other than video is at fault? Have you tired to use the built in nouveau video driver? I actually have one old PC I have got this to work just fine on in 3D and everything. The PC is five years old, but the video card is not all that old as it is a nVIDIA GT 450 chipset. I have openGL, KDE compositing and everything working. Of course you would have to enable KMS, stop blacklisting the nouveau driver and uninstall the nVIDIA proprietary video driver. The only problem I was having was with Plymouth was NOT working and stalling the machine. Little did I realize you could just press ESC to stop the display and set vga=text in your normal kernel load line and Plymouth is gone. But the PC is working great otherwise in video today as I played with the PC, even looking at the iTunes Movie Trailers with no problems at all. Anyway, its just another suggestion you could consider.

    Thank You,
    It didn't become a problem until I installed the nVIDIA driver, about a week after upgrading to 12.2. I think I'll try to revert to Nouveau tomorrow. The GPU isn't heating up, it seems to be a steady 50-55 C. I don't do anything demanding on it, aside from watching an occasional video. I have a list of items that need to be replaced, I'd rather not add this as well. Not good timing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •