OpenSUSE 12.2: Optimal MySQL-setup for KDE?

I’m thinking of setting up a local MySQL server for KDE. I gather that because I’m a heavy user of Amarok and Digikam (and forced to use Akonadi), this might give performance advantages. (Also, the MySQL database would reside on a SSD while the different current KDE-related databases are located on my convential /home-hdd.)

Now I’m not sure how to setup MySQL best for this usage case. The different how-tos are a bit confusing and contradictory. As of now, I have set up MySQL as in SDB:MySQL installation - openSUSE and also edited /etc/my.cnf to disallow network access to my local installation. Now I’m a bit puzzled as how to proceed.

All how-tos seem to assume that a local user should be able to access the db without authorization. But: How do I enable this, and - do I really want this? There are different example configs out there, e.g. simply copying some Akonadi-specific configuration, but as this config differs substantially from SUSE’s standard config, I’m not really convinced.
What about that InnoDB-stuff, which seems to be mandatory for Akonadi (as far as I understand the how-tos), but this seems not to be enabled in the standard openSUSE config? And the other KDE programs don’t seem to need that feature? Is this mutually exclusive? Has it to be enables in any case, can it be enabled only for Akonadi, has it to be enabled for all KDE databases, and - what is it at all :wink: ?
What about all that strigi/soprano-stuff (not that I’m too convinced of it): Can I migrate that, too, or is it bound to virtuoso?
Digikam-specific: I want to store the database for several users with MySQL. All have read access to all pics and r/w access only to their own files. If I use a shared database, is there a danger of inconsistancy if one user can r/w file+database and the other user can only r/w the database entries?

Thanks in advance!