Hey! I recently installed openSUSE 12.2 and have gotten most things working/driver **** taken care of. However, I haven't been able to get Desktop effects to function. When I open up the "Configure Desktop Effects" application I'm greeted by the following error:

Desktop effects are not available on this system due to the following technical issues:

OpenGL compositing (the default) has crashed KWin in the past.
This was most likely due to a driver bug.

If you think that you have meanwhile upgraded to a stable driver,
you can reset this protection but be aware that this might result in an immediate crash!
Alternatively, you might want to use the XRender backend instead.

Below that error message is a button to re-enable OpenGL detection (above the button it says "Pressing this button can crash the desktop.") Whenever I press it it... crashes the desktop, logs me out and sends me back to the login screen.

I've researched the problem a little bit and apparently it has something to with the kdebase-workspace package, but I haven't been able to figure out exactly what to do.

I'd rather not switch to XRender because I've heard it works like **** with Nvidia.

Anyhow, if it helps, I have an Nvidia Geforce GT240M and am using this driver: NVIDIA DRIVERS 304.51Certified

Thanks!

-ascii234