Thread: Gnome 3 - Main Menu Alacarte seems broken

Default Gnome 3 - Main Menu Alacarte seems broken

If I try to add a program launcher manually to the Gnome menu, even if I put it in say, the Games section, it drops itself into Other instead, and I cannot drag and drop any launchers around. In the last edition, you could move items around the Main Menu (Alacarte) manually, but this does not happen in openSUSE 12.2. I am fully up to date, using 12.2 Gnome 3 64 bit, Nvidia proprietary driver. Many thanks.

Default Re: Gnome 3 - Main Menu Alacarte seems broken

Alacarte was supposed to be fixed as of five days ago. http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ome-shell.html

Guess it is only halfway fixed, as it did nothing before the update. Pretty sad when a core app on a "stable" release does not work, especially when there are so few apps that come pre-installed on Gnome Shell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kinzie
    If I try to add a program launcher manually to the Gnome menu, even if I
    put it in say, the Games section, it drops itself into Other instead,
    and I cannot drag and drop any launchers around. In the last edition,
    you could move items around the Main Menu (Alacarte) manually, but this
    does not happen in openSUSE 12.2. I am fully up to date, using 12.2
    Gnome 3 64 bit, Nvidia proprietary driver. Many thanks.

Hi
    I don't see that here, I can create a menu item fine in a selected
    menu (I'm on an intel gpu)?

Can you start alacarte from a terminal and see if it produces
    additional output. Also check ~/.xsession-errors for anything out of
    the ordinary.

Please put any output in code tags, if it's big, use
    http://paste.opensuse.org/ and set the expiry date to 'never'.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.6-2.10-desktop
    up 20:25, 4 users, load average: 0.38, 0.19, 0.11
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I don't see that here, I can create a menu item fine in a selected
    menu (I'm on an intel gpu)?

Can you start alacarte from a terminal and see if it produces
    additional output. Also check ~/.xsession-errors for anything out of
    the ordinary.

Please put any output in code tags, if it's big, use
    SUSE Paste and set the expiry date to 'never'.

--
    up 20:25, 4 users, load average: 0.38, 0.19, 0.11
    Thanks both for your replies. It's the only problem I've come across on 12.2. Which is great!

Anyway, running alacarte from a terminal gives no extra output. Below is my x-session errors file. I see a couple of issues reported but I wouldn't know how to decipher them.

Code:
    /etc/X11/xim: Checking whether an input method should be started.
    /etc/X11/xim: use GDM_LANG=en_GB.utf8
    sourcing /etc/sysconfig/language to get the value of INPUT_METHOD
    INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
    Trying to start a default input method for the locale en_GB.utf8 ...
    There is no default input method for the current locale.
    Dummy input method "none" (do not use any fancy input method by default)
    Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
    gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process capabilities, unsecure memory might get used
    gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process capabilities, unsecure memory might get used
    GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/run/user/kinzie/keyring-xxxxxx
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/kinzie/keyring-xxxxxx/ssh
    GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/kinzie/keyring-xxxxxx/gpg:0:1

(gnome-settings-daemon:5733): color-plugin-WARNING **: There is no colord server available
    Initializing tracker-store...
    Initializing tracker-miner-fs...
    Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/kinzie/.config/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.cfg'
    Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/kinzie/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg'
    Starting log:
      File:'/home/kinzie/.local/share/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.log'
    Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension

** (nm-applet:5784): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.

** (nm-applet:5784): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching connections: (32) Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details..

** (nm-applet:5784): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (32) Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.
    Window manager warning: Log level 16: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.

** (nautilus:5782): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout
    Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
    Window manager warning: Got a request to focus 0x1800004 (Desktop) with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!

** (process:5791): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GMountMountFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:5791): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:5791): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GSocketMsgFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
    Window manager warning: Log level 16: fetch_connections_done: error fetching connections: (32) Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details..
    Window manager warning: Log level 16: _nm_remote_settings_ensure_inited: (NMRemoteSettings) error initializing: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.

Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/kinzie/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg'
    Starting log:
      File:'/home/kinzie/.local/share/tracker/tracker-store.log'
    lpstat: No destinations added.

(gnome-shell:5773): folks-WARNING **: Error preparing persona store 'libsocialweb:plurk': Couldn’t prepare libsocialweb service: No contacts capability was found.

(gnome-shell:5773): folks-WARNING **: Error preparing persona store 'libsocialweb:smugmug': Couldn’t prepare libsocialweb service: No contacts capability was found.

(gnome-shell:5773): Clutter-WARNING **: clutter_actor_raise Actor 'ClutterGroup' is not in the same container as actor 'ClutterRectangle'

(gnome-shell:5773): Clutter-WARNING **: clutter_actor_raise Actor 'ClutterGroup' is not in the same container as actor 'ClutterGroup'

(gnome-shell:5773): Clutter-WARNING **: clutter_actor_raise Actor 'ClutterGroup' is not in the same container as actor 'ClutterGroup'
    NOTE: child process received `Goodbye', closing down
    Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
    Window manager warning: Got a request to focus 0x2c0008c (Online sho) with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!
    Window manager warning: Got a request to focus 0x1800004 (Desktop) with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!
    Window manager warning: Got a request to focus 0x3400003 (Software M) with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!
    Window manager warning: Got a request to focus 0x3400003 (Software M) with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!

(gnome-tweak-tool:7970): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_preferred_height_for_width: assertion `width >= 0' failed

(gnome-tweak-tool:7970): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_preferred_height_for_width: assertion `width >= 0' failed

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kinzie
    malcolmlewis;2490043 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > I don't see that here, I can create a menu item fine in a selected
    > menu (I'm on an intel gpu)?
    >
    > Can you start alacarte from a terminal and see if it produces
    > additional output. Also check ~/.xsession-errors for anything out of
    > the ordinary.
    >
    > Please put any output in code tags, if it's big, use
    > 'SUSE Paste' (http://paste.opensuse.org/) and set the expiry date to
    > 'never'.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    > openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.6-2.10-desktop
    > up 20:25, 4 users, load average: 0.38, 0.19, 0.11
    > CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Thanks both for your replies. It's the only problem I've come across on
    12.2. Which is great!

Anyway, running alacarte from a terminal gives no extra output. Below
    is my x-session errors file. I see a couple of issues reported but I
    wouldn't know how to decipher them.

Code:
    --------------------
    /etc/X11/xim: Checking whether an input method should be started.
    /etc/X11/xim: use GDM_LANG=en_GB.utf8
    sourcing /etc/sysconfig/language to get the value of INPUT_METHOD
    INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
    Trying to start a default input method for the locale en_GB.utf8 ...
    There is no default input method for the current locale.
    Dummy input method "none" (do not use any fancy input method by
    default) Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
    gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process capabilities, unsecure
    memory might get used gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process
    capabilities, unsecure memory might get used gnome-keyring-daemon:
    insufficient process capabilities, unsecure memory might get used
    gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process capabilities, unsecure
    memory might get used
    (gnome-settings-daemon:5733): color-plugin-WARNING **: There is no
    colord server available Initializing tracker-store... Initializing
    tracker-miner-fs... Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to
    config file:'/home/kinzie/.config/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.cfg'
    Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config
    file:'/home/kinzie/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg' Starting log:
    File:'/home/kinzie/.local/share/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.log'
    Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
    ** (nm-applet:5784): WARNING **: Could not initialize
    NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Unit
    dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such
    file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status
    dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details. ** Message:
    applet now removed from the notification area ** (nm-applet:5784):
    WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching connections: (32)
    Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No
    such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status
    dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.. **
    (nm-applet:5784): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (32) Unit
    dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details. Window
    manager warning: Log level 16: Could not initialize
    NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Unit
    dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details. **
    (nautilus:5782): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at
    layout ** Message: applet now embedded in the notification area Window
    manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window
    may not be correct. Window manager warning: Got a request to focus
    0x1800004 (Desktop) with a timestamp of 0. This shouldn't happen! **
    (process:5791): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GMountMountFlags'
    as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags' ** (process:5791): WARNING
    **: Trying to register gtype 'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it
    is of type 'GFlags' ** (process:5791): WARNING **: Trying to register
    gtype 'GSocketMsgFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
    Window manager warning: Log level 16: fetch_connections_done: error
    fetching connections: (32) Unit
    dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.. Window
    manager warning: Log level 16: _nm_remote_settings_ensure_inited:
    (NMRemoteSettings) error initializing: Unit
    dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.
    Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config
    file:'/home/kinzie/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg' Starting log:
    File:'/home/kinzie/.local/share/tracker/tracker-store.log' lpstat: No
    destinations added. (gnome-shell:5773): folks-WARNING **: Error
    preparing persona store 'libsocialweblurk': Couldn’t prepare
    libsocialweb service: No contacts capability was found.
    (gnome-shell:5773): folks-WARNING **: Error preparing persona store
    'libsocialweb:smugmug': Couldn’t prepare libsocialweb service: No
    contacts capability was found. (gnome-shell:5773): Clutter-WARNING **:
    clutter_actor_raise Actor 'ClutterGroup' is not in the same container
    as actor 'ClutterRectangle' (gnome-shell:5773): Clutter-WARNING **:
    as actor 'ClutterGroup' (gnome-shell:5773): Clutter-WARNING **:
    as actor 'ClutterGroup' NOTE: child process received `Goodbye', closing
    down NOTE: child process received `Goodbye', closing down Window
    manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window
    may not be correct. Window manager warning: Got a request to focus
    0x2c0008c (Online sho) with a timestamp of 0. This shouldn't happen!
    Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus
    window may not be correct. Window manager warning: Got a request to
    focus 0x1800004 (Desktop) with a timestamp of 0. This shouldn't
    happen! Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus
    window; focus window may not be correct. Window manager warning: Got a
    request to focus 0x3400003 (Software M) with a timestamp of 0. This
    shouldn't happen! Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose
    focus window; focus window may not be correct. Window manager warning:
    Got a request to focus 0x1800004 (Desktop) with a timestamp of 0. This
    Got a request to focus 0x3400003 (Software M) with a timestamp of 0.
    This shouldn't happen! Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to
    choose focus window; focus window may not be correct. Window manager
    warning: Got a request to focus 0x1800004 (Desktop) with a timestamp of
    0. This shouldn't happen! Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to
    choose focus window; focus window may not be correct. Window manager
    warning: Got a request to focus 0x3400003 (Software M) with a timestamp
    of 0. This shouldn't happen! Window manager warning: CurrentTime used
    to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct. Window manager
    warning: Got a request to focus 0x1800004 (Desktop) with a timestamp of
    0. This shouldn't happen! NOTE: child process received `Goodbye',
    closing down Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus
    window; focus window may not be correct. Window manager warning: Got a
    request to focus 0x1800004 (Desktop) with a timestamp of 0. This
    shouldn't happen! (gnome-tweak-tool:7970): Gtk-CRITICAL **:
    gtk_widget_get_preferred_height_for_width: assertion `width >= 0'
    failed (gnome-tweak-tool:7970): Gtk-CRITICAL **:
    failed Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window;
    focus window may not be correct. Window manager warning: Got a request
    to focus 0x1800004 (Desktop) with a timestamp of 0. This shouldn't
    happen! --------------------

Thanks again.

Hi
    Not really sure, if you create a desktop file in
    ~/.local/share/applications for you application does it work?

For an example, here is one I use;
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Comment=Launch NX session 'xxxx'
    Exec=/usr/NX/bin/nxclient --session "/home/xxxxx/.nx/config/xxxx.nxs"
    Icon=/usr/NX/share/icons/48x48/nxclient-desktop.png
    Name=xxxx
    Type=Application
    Categories=Application;Network;
    Try with and without a Categories section.

--
    up 1 day 0:00, 5 users, load average: 0.12, 0.13, 0.20

Hi, sorry for my late reply.

If I manually add the categories section into the .desktop file, then the item will show in the correct category. However, if I then look in Alacarte after doing this, it seems to not be sorted alphabetically. Rather, any new launchers are automatically placed at the end of the menu, although within the Shell they are correctly placed (which is I suppose what matters ). Alacarte has a feeling overall of being locked down and unchangeable by the user. It used to be configurable very easily in 12.1 with Gnome 3.2, so I imagine this is a bug.

I have also noticed that in the Gnome Shell overview, if I begin to type the name of a program into the search bar, it will search for it fine, but if I want to delete what I have typed using the small "X" symbol on the search bar, this doesn't work either. Not sure if these are related problems or not.

Thanks for your replies.