Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

  1. #1

    Default Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

    Any one else seeing this behaviour where going into the Boot loader Options (Yast > System > Boot Loader > Boot Loader Options) to edit GRUB2 options almost immediately, and absolutely, freezes up the system (requires a hard reset)?

    Particulars: 12.2, x86_64 ... not sure what else would be relevant for this one ... nor am I sure whether its the Yast module's problem or whether it has something to do with GRUB2 itself .... first time using GRUB2, and, currently, not very familiar with its mechanics (as opposed to with legacy GRUB )

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    10,797
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

    If you've only opened the editor and not actually made any changes, that doesn't sound right.

    If exactly how you described it, recommend for starters exploring other YAST modules to see if any other exhibit the same behavior.

    IMO,
    TSU

  3. #3

    Default Re: Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    If you've only opened the editor and not actually made any changes, that doesn't sound right.

    If exactly how you described it,
    Indeed, that is exactly the case!

    I have now also observed on several occasions that sometimes just getting into the Boot Loader module fails -- it, the module, becomes unresponsive on "Read Partitioning" 33% step ... fortunately the rest of the system is still responsive. Killing the module doesn't take immediate effect -- the GUI remains on screen for several minutes but it looks like Kwin killer finally deals it a death blow.

    recommend for starters exploring other YAST modules to see if any other exhibit the same behavior.
    Good suggestion. Under limited use so far, have not found any other cases of disturbing behaviour with other Yast modules

  4. #4

    Default Re: Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_K View Post
    I have now also observed on several occasions that sometimes just getting into the Boot Loader module fails -- it, the module, becomes unresponsive on "Read Partitioning" 33% step ... fortunately the rest of the system is still responsive. Killing the module doesn't take immediate effect -- the GUI remains on screen for several minutes but it looks like Kwin killer finally deals it a death blow.
    It seems that after this happens, upon the next boot/reboot of the system, the resolution of the primary monitor is screwed up (much lower or zoomed in/panned in) starting from the KDM login screen and carrying through to the desktop (i.e when X is running), yet when logged in, randr reports that its operating at correct/native resolution. Oddly enough, the other monitors are not affected (on either the KDM login screen or on the desktop)...ugh. Then it seems like it takes several reboots before the correct resolution is restored again (both on KDM and the desktop) for the primary monitor.

    Anyway, in regards to the initial problem, I have discovered that if I boot via the "rescue" mode, then I can access and change the boot loader options through the yast module. Though, I'll also note that the read partitioning step (that occurs when you start up the yast bootloader module ) does seem to be way too long (~15s ... especially for an SSD)....its strangely reminiscent to the slowness of the disastrous packagemgmt in the 10.1 release LOL

    Also of note, I uninstalled the yast2-bootloader module (as well as the 7-8 dependencies) and then later did a reinstall of the very same. That produced no change in behaviours from what I'm reporting.

    Something really screwy going on.

    Also chasing down another likely GRUB2 related issue: trying to get HDMI audio up and running -- needing to add radeon.audio=1 boot option, but when its applied, I'm (a) not getting any audio (though everything looks good from pauvcontrol etc) and, worse, (b) a pink vertical line (maybe just one or two pixels width) running the entire height of the primary monitor (once KDM starts up and persisting through the desktop) is now observed. Ugh. Removing the radeon audio boot option removes the pink line display artifact.

    This blows goats. My Factory install (utilizing legacy grub), and which I was just previously running on this system (as well as utilizing the bleeding edge xorg repo) had zero issues in these regards and has been remarkably stable. I had moved seamlessly from 12.1 to that cutting edge setup sometime in early summer (as 12.2's final shape was taking place) . I've decided to drop back to "stable" 12.2 now, before that (now essentially a very early 12.3 release) might become buggy when heavy development on and further shaping of the next release picks up speed. Was certainly not anticipating these headaches with stock 12.2 given my very favourable experience with the 12.2 transition via the Factory distro. It goes without saying that my initial impression with GRUB2 has started off in the wrong direction.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_K View Post
    Also chasing down another likely GRUB2 related issue: trying to get HDMI audio up and running -- needing to add radeon.audio=1 boot option, but when its applied, I'm (a) not getting any audio (though everything looks good from pauvcontrol etc) and, worse, (b) a pink vertical line (maybe just one or two pixels width) running the entire height of the primary monitor (once KDM starts up and persisting through the desktop) is now observed. Ugh. Removing the radeon audio boot option removes the pink line display artifact.

    This blows goats. My Factory install (utilizing legacy grub), and which I was just previously running on this system (as well as utilizing the bleeding edge xorg repo) had zero issues in these regards and has been remarkably stable. I had moved seamlessly from 12.1 to that cutting edge setup sometime in early summer (as 12.2's final shape was taking place) . I've decided to drop back to "stable" 12.2 now, before that (now essentially a very early 12.3 release) might become buggy when heavy development on and further shaping of the next release picks up speed. Was certainly not anticipating these headaches with stock 12.2 given my very favourable experience with the 12.2 transition via the Factory distro. It goes without saying that my initial impression with GRUB2 has started off in the wrong direction.
    In regards to this later mentioned HDMI audio issue, all I can say is that I'm such a monkey -- as is clearly explained here, my HD 6xxx series adapter's do not have HDMI audio support in the radeon driver natively included in the, kernel 3.4 using, stock 12.2 openSUSE release. Switching to trying with the older 4xxx generation radeon, and I find that HDMI audio does indeed work like a charm ....i.e. GRUB2 never was at fault. Again, I repeat, I am a stupid head .... I guess at some point during my summer romp with running Factory I had switched the audio out to the HD 6xxx but forgot about that little fact.


    Now back to the tackling the original (and subsequently found ) problem(s) regarding the wonky Yast Bootloader Module ...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_K View Post
    Now back to the tackling the original (and subsequently found ) problem(s) regarding the wonky Yast Bootloader Module ...
    Okay, some progress on this. Installed the GRUB2 update today and in four tests:
    - the first three were successful-- upon entering the module, it did not become unresponsive during the "read partitioning" step (though it still took an unnatural amount of time (~15s) to complete this step) and I was then able to access the
    boot loader options screen and then successfully make edits
    - the fourth turned up another case of what appeared to be the module becoming absolutely unresponsive upon entry during the "read partitioning" step ... however, after trying to close the module and being notified by KDE that it was unresponsive, instead of trying to kill the process as I had in earlier instances, I left it running to see if anything would happen ... to my surprise, the "reading partitioning" step eventually, after several minutes (maybe close to 5?), completed and I could then access the boot loader options ... weird.

    So it appears that
    - I can now sometimes (75% of cases) somewhat normally access the module and its boot loader options to make changes ... and, perhaps, in the remaining cases just be really (really) patient
    - or I could boot into the recovery mode (GRUB2 > Advanced options for openSUSE > recovery mode ... note: I mistakenly called this rescue mode earlier in the thread) and access the module ... this method seems to have worked all along, albeit also with a slow (~15s) partition read step
    - or just manually edit /etc/default/grub and then run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, which works without fail every time

    Given that I'm not actually passing new or changing kernel boot options all too oftern, I think I will stop spending any more time on this and just use the grub2-mkconfig route when need arises.

    Don't know what caused the original inability to access the options via the module, or whether today's grub update provided such a fix (the change log does not indicate such). Nor do I know why grub seems to be having difficulty or, at least, is tripping up when it comes to my partitioning (which is pretty darn vanilla). Shrugs and moves on.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,719
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

    I've used it extensively but not experienced any trouble, except that I don't find it behaves as expected.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,941

    Default Re: Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_K View Post
    the module becoming absolutely unresponsive upon entry during the "read partitioning" step ...
    I wonder if this may be related to floppy probing. Do you see any error messages related to /dev/fd0 in dmesg after probing? Do you have floppy controller (not necessary floppy itself) on motherboard and is it enabled in BIOS?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    I wonder if this may be related to floppy probing.
    its possible ... it was something I had in the back of my mind

    Do you see any error messages related to /dev/fd0 in dmesg after probing?
    No, there is no such message.

    When I went through the log on Sunday, the only thing I found that I thought might be playing a part in any way was: kdm[687]: Cannot execute 'grub-set-default': not in $PATH.
    But that is apparently an old bug: [Bug 584082] grub-set-default does not work

    I do not know if that is still being generated after applying yesterday's grub2 update (I haven't checked)... but I do seem to recall seeing mention of grubonce (the preferred way, so says the thread I just linked too) in the changelog.

    Do you have floppy controller (not necessary floppy itself) on motherboard
    yes, the mobo has a floppy controller

    and is it enabled in BIOS?
    IIRC it is disabled, but will have to check later on to see if it is disabled, and if not, whether that makes a difference.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Attempting to access "Boot Loader Options" freezes system

    Looks like this was indeed related to floppy probing. Although I did not have any such entry in my device.map file, what I did have was floppy drive support enabled in the mobo's BIOS (I had performed a BIOS update likely in July and must have cleared settings and overlooked it ... it was on the first page of the Award BIOS and not in the advanced chipset options).

    I'll make a note of this in the that other thread too.

    Anyway, all problems solved as far as I can see with limited testing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •